What books do you regularly reread (since becoming an adult)?

ivylass

Registered
Reaction score
Outlander series by Diana Gabaldon

Game of Thrones. I'm currently rereading that now.

I'll reread Stephen King and Colleen McCullough too.

kkbe

Huh.
Registered
Reaction score
Website
kkelliewriteme.wordpress.com
Oh man, let me think...

The Stand
The Curious Incident of the Dog in the Night-Time
I Know This Much is True
Stone City
A Prayer for Owen Meany
The Car Thief
The Catcher in the Rye :)

JCornelius

Banned
Reaction score
I see a lot of people mentioning The Stand and IT, in this thread, so I'll use the opportunity to recommend three books by Robert McCammon (who is to King as O'Hara is to Fitzgerald or David Wingrove is to GRRMartin):
a) Swan Song, for lovers of The Stand, and
b) Stinger and Boy's Life, which combined are more or less the equivalent of IT.

i6c8av.jpg
v74k9k.jpg
hvs7lz.jpg

And for Game of Thrones fans, a sci-fi version (infinitely more elegant, if I may say so)... Chung Kuo

w2lv2p.jpg

When you guys feel like exploring, but well within the boundaries of the established comfort zone--maybe try these books.

I urge everyone else to also recommend similar books to each other:D You see someone loves rereading A, and you instantly think of B--post the idea!

Last edited:

JCornelius

Banned
Reaction score
For lovers of Terry Pratchett and Douglas Adams--perhaps Robert Rankin and Tom Sharpe?

5aopef.jpg
efp2ja.jpg

Rankin practices the whimsy and grotesque humor in more fantasy/sci-fi scenarios, while Sharpe--in "our world". Brit humor overdose guaranteed.

M Louise

Registered
Reaction score
For relaxation, I like rereading old Agatha Christie mysteries, Margery Allingham (the Albert Campion novels), Dorothy L Sayers. In sci fi, Ursula le Guin's Left Hand of Darkness. China Mieville, M John Harrison, Kim Stanley Robinson.

I reread George Eliot's Middlemarch, Henry James' The Portrait of a Lady and novels by Anthony Trollope. I reread contemporary fiction all the time, Woolf (To the Lighthouse), Kafka, WG Sebald, JM Coetzee, Toni Morrison, James Baldwin, Alice Munro, too many to mention. I often feel I've hardly scratched the surface of a book until I've read it three or four times.

Tchaikovsky

Registered
Reaction score
To Kill a Mockingbird by Harper Lee
Crushed by Tom and Laura McNeal (a favorite from my adolescent years). I just admire the way they use description
Many others...

The Pandion

Sockpuppet
Banned
Reaction score
I think.... That my most re-read series are -

The Redemption of Althalus by David Eddings

The Discworld series by Terry Pratchett

Marcus Didius Falco series by Lindsey Davis

The Tamuli series by David Eddings

Magic Kingdom of Landover series by Terry Brooks

Xanth series by Piers Anthony

Dirk Gently series by Douglas Adams

ZachJPayne

Beware: #amQuerying
Registered
Reaction score
Website
zachjpayne.com
I might be an adult, but it is full of YA books! Mostly because I'm too poor to buy a lot of audiobooks, I do a LOT of rereading. These range from every 6-8 months to every 1-2 years.

Paper Towns -- John Green
The Perks of Being a Wallflower -- Stephen Chbosky
All the Bright Places -- Jennifer Niven
Vampire Academy series -- Richelle Mead
Bloodlines series -- Richelle Mead
The Hobbit -- J.R.R. Tolkien
The Lord of the Rings -- J.R.R. Tolkien
The Silmarillion -- J.R.R. Tolkien
Speak -- Laurie Halse Anderson
House of Night series -- PC and Kristin Cast
The Hunger Games series -- Suzanne Collins
Ask the Passengers -- A.S. King
13 Reasons Why -- Jay Asher

JNG01

Registered
Reaction score
Book of the New Sun, Gene Wolfe

Anna Iguana

reading all the things
Registered
Reaction score
To Kill a Mockingbird, by Harper Lee
Hunger Games, by Suzanne Collins
Harry Potter and the Sorcerer's Stone, by JK Rowling

recipeformurder

Registered
Reaction score
Fantastic idea for a thread! :)

Halldor Laxness - Independent People. If I really had to name one book as my all-time favourite, it would be this. The story of an impoverished farmer in a remote corner of Iceland, covering his entire adult life from his twenties to old age. A meditation on life. The prose is almost painfully beautiful in places.

Anthony Burgess - Earthly Powers; The Long Day Wanes (also known as the Malayan Trilogy); all four of the Enderby comedies.
Earthly Powers is fairly well-known, but I would like to give a special mention to the Enderby books. I doubt if I have ever read anything funnier! I read all four of them every couple of years, and it is always a sheer pleasure, like eating a delicious chocolate cake with lots of cream. If you like A Confederacy of Dunces, please try the Enderby novels. :)

Douglas Adams - Dirk Gently's Holistic Detective Agency. The only book I have ever read where, as soon as I reached the end, I just turned back to the first page and started again.

Thomas Harris - Red Dragon; The Silence of the Lambs; Hannibal

PG Wodehouse - Psmith in the City; Leave It To Psmith

Iris Murdoch - The Sea, The Sea; The Book and the Brotherhood

I love PSmith! Such a great re-read.

I've reread a lot of books but regular rereads? Well, that's comfort reading, the books I've known more or less my whole life long, familiar as a pair of old pyjamas and a cup of cocoa, so much of Georgette Heyer, much of Agatha Christie or Dorothy L. Sayers or Josephine Tey's The Daughter of Time. If I want to sob my way through a packet of hankies, then Frances Hodgeson Burnett's A Little Princess or Ursula Moray Williams' Gobbolino the Witch's Cat or Rosemary Sutcliff's Sword at Sunset. If I want to make myself feel better, then something by P.G. Wodehouse about Lord Emsworth or Bertie Wooster, or possibly E. Nesbit's The Wouldbegoods.

I love re-reading most of the same books as you :) Although I haven't read The Daughter of Time or Gobbolino yet.

For relaxation, I like rereading old Agatha Christie mysteries, Margery Allingham (the Albert Campion novels), Dorothy L Sayers. In sci fi, Ursula le Guin's Left Hand of Darkness. China Mieville, M John Harrison, Kim Stanley Robinson.

I reread George Eliot's Middlemarch, Henry James' The Portrait of a Lady and novels by Anthony Trollope. I reread contemporary fiction all the time, Woolf (To the Lighthouse), Kafka, WG Sebald, JM Coetzee, Toni Morrison, James Baldwin, Alice Munro, too many to mention. I often feel I've hardly scratched the surface of a book until I've read it three or four times.

Love all those old mysteries and Left Hand of Darkness is my absolute fav Ursula le Guin!

My favs (excluding kids books, which are the best :))
Most books by Agatha Christie, Ngaio Marsh and Margery Allingham
Most books by Helen MacInnes, the best is Above Suspicion
The Singing Sands by Josephine Tey
Murder Fantastical by Patricia Moyes
Pattern Recognition by William Gibson
Like others said, I love re-reading Lord of the Rings, Harry Potter, PSmith

Now I need to find the favorite mystery TV shows thread ;)

Lakey

professional dilettante
Staff member
Super Moderator
Registered
Reaction score
I often feel I've hardly scratched the surface of a book until I've read it three or four times.

I feel the same way. Quite a few times in recent years I have got to the end of a book only to go right back to the beginning and start it over. Or, something sticks with me and I return for a second read a few months later. It does take time, and like everyone else I have a massive list of new-to-me books that I am waiting to get to. But when I get the itch to really study something I have to do it.

The question was about books one "regularly" rereads, though, and to answer that question precisely, some of the books I find myself revisiting every so often regardless of what else I'm reading include George Eliot's Middlemarch (just like M Louise) and Daniel Deronda; Thackeray's Vanity Fair; nearly all of Neal Stephenson; Sylvia Plath's The Bell Jar; Virginia Woolf's Orlando. I used to feel this way about Jeannette Winterson; I read Oranges Are Not The Only Fruit and The Passion every other year through the 1990s, it seemed, and then again five or six years ago, but I haven't reread her since and I don't feel the same compulsion.

There are quite a few more recent acquisitions that might yet fall into this category, books that I've read twice so far (see my first paragraph), but it remains to be seen whether I will circle back to them again or just cherish the memories.

Last edited:

E. Steve

Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
The Art of Racing in the Rain (Garth Stein)
and I listen over and over to the audio books by Craig Johnson - the Longmire series (fabulous dialogue as well as the way he constructs his story lines - great examples for me to emulate).

vicky271

Registered
Reaction score
Unfortunately, I don't reread books. I didn't read Harry Potter until was a adult. Yet it's the only series I reread.

CJMockingbird

Registered
Reaction score
I've been meaning to do re-reads of my childhood favorites, namely the Animorphs books as I have a full set in my closet storage.

Otherwise I do love to re-read Lord of the Rings, The Last Unicorn, and a ton of manga on my shelf.

Sage

Supreme Guessinator
Staff member
Registered
Reaction score
I reread a lot. It's about getting to read something I know I will love and knowing what to expect from it. I love to be surprised, but I'm more likely to be disappointed with a new read than pleasantly surprised by one.

Dave.C.Robinson

... with the High Command
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.daverobinsonwrites.com
Of recent books, some David Weber and also Ryk Spoor's Grand Central Arena series.

I read LOTR twice a a year for 20 years but haven't for about the last 15 years. I can always reread Father of the Bride or Alas, Babylon.

Jack Judah

Lost somewhere on the Nile
Registered
Reaction score
My reread list is pretty short. I prefer blazing new trails rather than retreading old ones. Still, every few years, I pull a few of the following off the shelf:

FICTION:
1) The Killer Angels by Michael Shaara
2) Once an Eagle by Anton Myrer
3) Just about anything by C.S. Forester. I've worn out multiple copies of every Hornblower book. In the same vein, I've burned through multiple reading of the Bolitho novels by Alexander Kent and the Ramage novels by Dudley Pope
6) Almost all of Bernard Cornwell's Sharpe series get dusted off every once in a while.
7) Any of the Longmire Mysteries by Craig Johnson.
8) The Masters of Rome series by Colleen McCullough
9) And, though I'm a (relatively) good Jewish boy, I rarely can resist rereading Dickens' Christmas Carol during the holidays.

NONFICTION:
1) Any and every volume of Will and Ariel Durant's Story of Civilization. When philosophers turn their minds to history, good things happen. I cannot recommend their work highly enough.
2) Nietzsche's Thus Spoke Zarathustra. I am inordinately fond of this book. Yeah, yeah, I know, I'm one of those guys. Don't hold it against me.

Last edited:

JCornelius

Banned
Reaction score
/.../
2) Nietzsche's Thus Spoke Zarathustra. I am inordinately fond of this book. Yeah, yeah, I know, I'm one of those guys. Don't hold it against me.

I'm more of a Birth of Tragedy person, from when Nietzsche was still a Schopenhauer cover band. Then again, my favorite Slayer album is also their first one, where they are basically an Iron Maiden/Venom cover band, and my favorite Terry Pratchetts are his first 3 books which are generic New Wave with just a hint of quirk.

Sometimes I prefer certain artists before they find their original voices... :D

Book of the New Sun, Gene Wolfe

That's a good one. Part of the short-lived mini-wave of poetic/atmospheric masterpieces like M. John Harrison's Viriconium and Robert Silverberg's Lord Valentine's Castle.

Last edited:

indianroads

Wherever I go, there I am.
Registered
Reaction score
Website
indianroads.net
I don't tend to return again and again to any particular novel or author.

I did read a lot of Nietzsche and Vonnegut when I was in college (what a combo eh?)... haven't gone back to them since.

Some of the stuff I read pre-college I've gone back to.. Childhood's End, Stranger in a Strange Land, 1984, Fahrenheit 451... That one, Fahrenheit 451 is a good one to read just for how brilliant the writing is.

Beyond that, I usually don't reread anything.

Chris P

Likes metaphors mixed, not stirred
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
I recently reread A Handful of Dust by Evelyn Waugh, which I first read in high school, and Zorba the Greek by Nikos Kazantzakis because I wanted to see an example of how two very different personalities (Zorba and the narrator) work together in a novel. I plan to reread Main Street by Sinclair Lewis because I'm toying with writing a modern retelling of the story.

But for the most part I don't reread many books because I am a slow reader and there are too many books I haven't read for the first time yet :)

Maze Runner

Registered
Reaction score
I regularly reread writers. McMurtry, Hemingway, Leonard, Mosley, Chabon, Levitt, Bukowski...

Jack Judah

Lost somewhere on the Nile
Registered
Reaction score
I'm more of a Birth of Tragedy person

Don't get me wrong, I'm no Nietzsche acolyte. But IMHO, every writer should read the Birth of Tragedy. Actually, artists in general would benefit.

from when Nietzsche was still a Schopenhauer cover band.

:roll:This cracked me up. What about when he was licking Wagner's boots?

Sometimes I prefer certain artists before they find their original voices... :D

Completely understand. There's a Goldilocks zone for talent, I think, when mastery and humility are still in balance, and when the artist hasn't yet grown completely full of themselves. That's when most do their best work. Once they realize they're hot shit, that's when they tend to develop an excess of personality, and start jumping down rabbit holes of their own construction.

That being said, Nietzsche hit a home run with Zarathustra. It's flawed, but its strengths outweigh its weaknesses. If anything, its best quality is the fact that it means something different every time you read it.

Last edited: