Blogging group for social media

CathleenT

I write
Registered
Reaction score
I'd like to set up a blogging group, possibly just a short-term one, although it would be nice if we made some connections of lasting value along the way. I've seen them called blog hops and salons--not sure what to call mine. Online conference? That sounds a little pretentious. Maybe just online conversation. It's still in the idea stages.

But the idea is that I devote a once-a-week post that's really an index page. I thought we could be systematic about it. So week 1 could be Twitter, week 2 could be Facebook, week 3 could be Pinterest, and week 4 would be blogging. At that point, I'm out of anything useful to contribute.

Anyway, the idea is we all post our most useful lessons we've learned in each particular social media vehicle. We all visit each other's posts, reblog anything we find particularly valuable, and spread the word, as it were. We've only got so much time. There's no point spending it on things of lesser productivity if we can choose activities that will yield us better results.

I've got about thirty people regularly commenting on my blog (plus, y'know, a lot of silent readers), but a lot of them come to read my stories. Not sure how many will want to join in something like this. And the more, the merrier, when it comes to this sort of thing.

In case this is decision-making information, last month I posted two stories and got about 900 hits. My volume goes up when I post more, but I can only write so many stories before I burn out. It seemed like this might be something we'd all be interested in, and I've posted about social media in the past, so it won't be too great a departure for my blog.

Would anyone here be interested in contributing to or even just reading a four-week project like this?

The Urban Spaceman

Existential quandary
Registered
Reaction score
Website
theurbanspaceman.net
I think it's a fantastic idea. I wish I could contribute but I don't have a facebook or "do" twitter or pinterest (I have accounts, they're linked to my blog, beyond that I don't really touch them). I'd definitely read the project, though.

CathleenT

I write
Registered
Reaction score
Okay, just an update to tell folks I have started a social media online blogging conference, and I'd love for you to join. My sign-up for a meet-and-greet, where you post your name and other social media links for others to follow, is located here: https://cathleentownsend.com/2017/03/01/meet-greet-sign-up-and-social-media-conference/.

Sign-ups for the meet-and-greet will last for the next week. After that, I'll have sign-ups for blogging about Twitter, Facebook, Pinterest, etc. at the rate of one social media platform a week.

Even if you don't want to contribute a blog post, please feel free to stop by. And maybe you'll decide to become more involved partway through. :)

CathleenT

I write
Registered
Reaction score
Terrific! I'm glad so many people are getting involved. For a while there, I was afraid I'd be doing this solo. :)

dbhoyle

Registered
Reaction score
Great idea! I'm not quite there yet though...just building my website/blog and have not posted yet. When I've got myself up and running I'd like to sign up.
See you soon! :hooray:

CathleenT

I write
Registered
Reaction score
Okay, but I'm on a semi-hiatus for a little while. I'm doing some cross-promotion of other SP authors' books, and then I need to promote one of my own. I'll probably start back up in August with newsletter and blogging. I've already covered Twitter, Facebook, and Pinterest. Those articles are on my blog under the social media tips tab. :)