Copyright with my alias?

buckaroo

Registered
Reaction score
Hello,

My last name is complicated, so I use a simple, phoneticized version of my last name.

I haven't legally changed my last name.

When publishing my book on Amazon using CreateSpace, I'm referencing a Microsoft Word template that includes "Copyright © 2017 author's name" at the beginning of the book.

I'd prefer to use the simple version of my last name for "author's name". If I do so, will that create any potential legal issues?

buckaroo

Registered
Reaction score
Ironmikezero,

Thanks for the link, but I'm not interested in copyrighting my psudonym. I'm interested in copyrighting my book, but I would like to use my pseudonym when referencing the copyright at the beginning of the book.

Old Hack

Such a nasty woman
Super Moderator
Absolute Sage
Registered
Reaction score
I don't think the OP is hoping to copyright their name: I think they're asking if they can say "copyright pseudonym" rather than "copyright my legal name" for their books. I'd welcome a clarification.

ETA: cross-posted! Sorry. Take a look in books from trade-published authors who use pseudonyms.

Last edited:

Haggis

Evil, undead Chihuahua
Registered
Reaction score
Jack Ketchum is a pseudonym for horror writer Dallas Mayr. I have a copy of one of his books in front of me. He uses the pseudonym (Jack Ketchum) as the author, but the copyright is in his real name (Dallas Mayr). If it's good enough for him...

Last edited:

veinglory

volitare nequeo
Self-Ban
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.veinglory.com
Actually that changed a few years back. You can register your copyright under your pen name only. For online registration you just leave the legal name field blank.

M. H. Lee

Registered
Reaction score
Last time I looked into it you could copyright under either your pen name or your real name but the term of copyright was different. It's shorter if you copyright under a pen name.

Old Hack

Such a nasty woman
Super Moderator
Absolute Sage
Registered
Reaction score
It's probably wiser to use your legal name because if you do have trouble down the line, using a pseudonym here will add a layer of complication to the proceedings. But if you have a good reason for needing that pseudonym then it's usually reasonable to do so. Just check, because we don't all live in the same country and things are different in different parts of the world.

ironmikezero

practical experience, FTW
Registered
Reaction score
It's probably wiser to use your legal name because if you do have trouble down the line, using a pseudonym here will add a layer of complication to the proceedings. But if you have a good reason for needing that pseudonym then it's usually reasonable to do so. Just check, because we don't all live in the same country and things are different in different parts of the world.

Oops, my apologies, buckaroo . . . I misunderstood your question. However, I do agree with Old Hack's above advice; it is usually wise to proactively avoid potential legal pitfalls.

stephenf

Registered
Reaction score
Hi
I can only talk about the law in the UK . Your name is the name that you wish to be known by. You don't need to register your name to make it legal , but passports and some other documents will only allow you to use the name that is on your birth certificate. As a writer you can publish a book using any name you like , and retain the copyright. Books published by Currer , Ellis and Acton Bell were quite successful . They republished the same book using thier birth names and are better know as Anne , Emily and Charlotte Bronte

Last edited: