Some capitalization issues in fantasy worldbuilding

lenore_x

Registered
Reaction score
Website
laurenmhunter.com
Hi all! I have two things I'm wondering about for my WIP, which is secondary world fantasy.

1. The setting is an empire which is divided geographically and culturally, but not politically, into a north and a south. My main character is from the South and she moves to the North, so the distinction comes up quite a bit. As you can see from the last sentence, my tendency has been to capitalize it. I'm wondering if that's appropriate, and if it also extends to these types of situations:

"She'd heard northern food wasn't as spicy and colorful as southern."
"Ah yes, the famed southern penchant for swimming. Don't go back home and tell everyone the secret that we Northerners sink like stones."

As you can see, I'm being inconsistent. I can't decide what feels right. Is there a rule I need to follow here?

2. Next has to do with titles of government officials. I know the general rule of capitalize if it's part of the name, e.g. "Justice Minister Bob walked through the door" vs. "Bob, the justice minister, walked through the door." However, sometimes I refer to Bob as the "Minister of Justice," and I can't bring myself to do that in lowercase. For a real-world analog, isn't in the case that we capitalize "Secretary of Defense" but not "defense secretary"? Should "Defense Secretary" actually be capitalized? I'm having a hard time articulating the difference even though there does seem to be one.

blacbird

Registered
Reaction score
Formal titles are proper nouns, and require capitalization. Both "Secretary of Defense" and "Defense Secretary" are just variations on a formal title, and should be capitalized.

caw

Tsu Dho Nimh

Registered
Reaction score
As you can see, I'm being inconsistent. I can't decide what feels right. Is there a rule I need to follow here?

Be consistent is the first rule. Make up your mind if northerner and southerner will be considered proper nouns or not and stick to it.

Follow the general rules of English for proper nouns. I've encounters a few books where the author was trying to re-invent English and it wasn't readible.

King Neptune

Banned
Reaction score
Capitalizing directions was considered to be required until a few years ago, when it came to be regarded as a mistake. If someone is from the cultural South, then few people would have any disagreement.

Richard White

Stealthy Plot Bunny Peddler
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.richardcwhite.com
"She'd heard northern food wasn't as spicy and colorful as southern."
"Ah yes, the famed southern penchant for swimming. Don't go back home and tell everyone the secret that we Northerners sink like stones."

Actually, I don't think you're being inconsistent consistently. *grin*. In the first sentence, you're using northern and southern as undefined adjectives, so lower case works perfectly fine. Although it can be inferred from the sentence you're referring to the northern and southern halves of the Empire, the speaker could be referring to the northern or southern ends of a particular region/valley/etc. The truth is derived from the context.

In the second sentence, the speaker's calling themself a "Northerner" - i.e., using it as a proper pronoun, so the capitalization makes sense. In this case, I could see it argued that "famed southern penchant" could be written as famed Southern penchant, because here the speaker is specifically referring to something with an actual local (the southern portion of the Empire), vice using southern as a "general direction - like waving your hand thataway, to encompass a non-defined area).

latieplolo

Registered
Reaction score
I think, in the first example, you're generally using German capitalization rules. Nouns are always capitalized, but adjectives are only capitalized at the beginnings of sentences (Amerikaner is, but amerikanisch isn't). This feels pretty natural to me personally and wouldn't throw me off as long as you stick to it throughout.