Book cover feedback - Recipe Book

Sabrina Hartford

Registered
Reaction score
This is a recipe book that readers get as a free gift, when they buy my cosy mystery.
It contains all the recipes that are mentioned in the story, so it's a nice little gift!

It will also be sold as a standalone.

Cover 1:
cover.jpg

Cover 2:
cover8.jpg

Cover 3:
cover2.jpg

Cover 4:
cover3.jpg

In the covers I have tried to incorporate some elements from the cover of my Magical Cozy Mystery book, just to show that there is a relation (because the mystery book readers get this recipe book for free), but it’s not vital to emphasize this relation (because there will people buying it who won’t care/know about the mystery book).

I know the subtitle and author name are very small, but these will be on the Amazon product page. (Amazon doesn’t allow much room on the cover, so I want the title and photos to be bigger. I would actually omit the Author name and subtitle, but I can’t include them on the product page if they are not on the cover).

Thanks for any feedback!

tiggs

Registered
Reaction score
1 then 3 for me. The larger cake holds the promise of bigger baking secrets.

Not keen on the title font for 2, or the red font in 4.

KTC

Stand in the Place Where You Live
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Website
ktcraig.com
#1. I think the straightforward font in the title is better. Best pic. (-:

Maggie Maxwell

Making Einstein cry since 1994
Registered
Reaction score
Website
thewanderingquille.blogspot.com
Definitely go with the crepe cake image. It's more eye-catching and interesting than a basic cupcake. Have you tried that layout with the font you used in #3? I'm not entirely fond of #2s font, but feel like the "magic" would benefit from something fancier than #1.

Sabrina Hartford

Registered
Reaction score
Definitely go with the crepe cake image. It's more eye-catching and interesting than a basic cupcake. Have you tried that layout with the font you used in #3? I'm not entirely fond of #2s font, but feel like the "magic" would benefit from something fancier than #1.

That actually looks quite smart
Cover #5:
cover8.jpg

Toothpaste

THE RECKLESS RESCUE is out now!
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.adriennekress.com
Do you have a recipe in your book for either baked good? Usually the image on the cover is of something one can learn to bake from the recipes within. You don't want to sell under false pretenses.

That being said I'm a fan of 1 too!

Sabrina Hartford

Registered
Reaction score
Do you have a recipe in your book for either baked good? Usually the image on the cover is of something one can learn to bake from the recipes within. You don't want to sell under false pretenses.

That being said I'm a fan of 1 too!

Yup, in my book I give the recipe for Chocolate mousse crepes, cupcakes and more. :)

chompers

Registered
Reaction score
My vote is for #1. The layout is better and the font is best, IMO. The other fonts look really old-fashioned.

JulianneQJohnson

Ferret Herder
Registered
Reaction score
Website
julianneqjohnson.com
5 works for me. I liked 1 best, but thought the font was a little too plain. The font in 2 was a little hard to read. The 5 cover has a better font, and I like the font's echoing of the red in the cake picture.

The cupcake ones don't have the same visual impact.

MaeZe

Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
This is a recipe book that readers get as a free gift, when they buy my cosy mystery.
It contains all the recipes that are mentioned in the story, so it's a nice little gift!

It will also be sold as a standalone.

Cover 1:
cover.jpg

Cover 2:
cover8.jpg

Cover 3:
cover2.jpg

Cover 4:
cover3.jpg

In the covers I have tried to incorporate some elements from the cover of my Magical Cozy Mystery book, just to show that there is a relation (because the mystery book readers get this recipe book for free), but it’s not vital to emphasize this relation (because there will people buying it who won’t care/know about the mystery book).

I know the subtitle and author name are very small, but these will be on the Amazon product page. (Amazon doesn’t allow much room on the cover, so I want the title and photos to be bigger. I would actually omit the Author name and subtitle, but I can’t include them on the product page if they are not on the cover).

Thanks for any feedback!

If that's your final cover for the Fairy Cake Fatality, I love it! :snoopy:

As for the current decision, I like the font on cover one, not sure I like the medallion-ish background. The cake color is uninspiring when paired with the tan in the background at the top.

Cover 2- hate the font.

Cover 3 is the best of the 4.

Cover 4 is too busy at the bottom.

Wait, cover 5? I need to learn to read ahead.

OK, if you are going with 5, and the recipe is in the book and you don't want to be branded by the cupcakes, then consider changing the tan background at the top so the whole thing doesn't look too muddy.

Last edited:

James W

Registered
Reaction score
Wow, now I really want cake haha...

I just read a pretty useful guide about book covers you might like, it's at https://kindlepreneur.com/book-cover-design/

Based on the ideas in the article, I like cover number 1 the best. I think the font is the best choice and the image is appealing with a great color scheme too.

Unimportant

No COVID yet. Still masking.
Staff member
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Another vote for the crepe cake. Mmm, cake.