2 POVs Standard?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Tamby

Registered
Reaction score
My apologizes if this has already been discussed somewhere. (I'm sure it has). But I tried the search function and couldn't come up with anything.

What are your thoughts on 1 vs 2 POVs? (2 POVs being the male and female, alternating.) And does anyone know what agents/publishers prefer? I'm putting together the plot for what might be a first-time submission, wondering if going with 2 POVs would be safer in terms of increasing my odds.

I usually write the alternating 2 POVs, so I'm comfortable with it and know how to make it work for the story. But has it become 'passe' in the publishing world?

Thanks!

CEtchison

Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.cheryletchison.com
Don't worry about this type of stuff. Just do what's best for your story. If that's one POV or two, if it's female only or male only, first person or third, it doesn't matter.

People get all wrapped up in POVs and heat levels, page counts, chapter length, prologues, epilogues, flashbacks, etc. Just write the story. Make it great. Make it yours.

Best of luck. :)

clek25

Watching Disney movies
Registered
Reaction score
My apologizes if this has already been discussed somewhere. (I'm sure it has). But I tried the search function and couldn't come up with anything.

What are your thoughts on 1 vs 2 POVs? (2 POVs being the male and female, alternating.) And does anyone know what agents/publishers prefer? I'm putting together the plot for what might be a first-time submission, wondering if going with 2 POVs would be safer in terms of increasing my odds.

I usually write the alternating 2 POVs, so I'm comfortable with it and know how to make it work for the story. But has it become 'passe' in the publishing world?

Thanks!

I really don't think it's a matter of preference from agents. Any story can be intriguing and exciting no matter how many POVs as long as it's written well.

The more important thing is does it fit with your story and is there a reason for multiple points of few. Also, how do you write best? If this is how, then that's how you should write it. If your story is begging for more than one POV, then give it. 2 POVs for my WIP would not only be unnecessary, but just doesn't make sense. Like I said, it's all about what will tell the story the best way, not about what is "popular". Regardless, I don't think there's any kind of stigma against two or more POVs. Again, it's all about the story, plot, characters, and overall how it's written.

When in doubt, write for you and you alone.

LJD

Registered
Reaction score
You're talking about romance, I presume? If you are targeting a particular category line (such as those published by Harlequin) they have specific requirements.

If not, I've seen lots of different things done today, 1 or 2 POVs, first or third person. Just write a great book. What is more popular depends on subgenre, and it's good to read recent books in the subgenre you're writing...but many things are possible. I certainly wouldn't say that 2 POVs is passe...

polishmuse

I'm a cookie
Registered
Reaction score
Ditto everyone else! If you're working on your first book and thinking you NEED to have 2 POVs, put your mind at ease. The more POVs, the more likely your reader might prefer one to the other and the more you need to worry about balance. If 2 POVs help illuminate the story you want to tell in some way, then use them! But certainly don't feel like you need more POVs than the story requires (this comes from someone who writes multiple POVs and knows their challenges and their joys :) ) Best of luck!

Deb Kinnard

Banned
Flounced
Reaction score
Website
www.debkinnard.com
Echoing the others' comments above. Do what feels natural to you and to your story. Don't sweat agents; they're becoming increasingly irrelevant in today's marketplace. As far as Harlequin, if that's your dream-house, they're all over the place. They've published single-POV stories with only the guy's POV written, and then their guidelines may or may not insist on double POV or hers only!

I've never really fussed with questions like this. I had one story beta-read by a writer friend I trust. She was like, "Where's her POV?" and I pointed out the story was mainly about him and she was the catalyst for his major life changes. I mulled what she said and in the end I added her POV lightly, in the form of journal entries sprinkled in here and there, in which she related her (usually wrong) take on his words and actions. For me it worked.

Do what works for your story. At this point in your craft, nobody's opinion matters except yours on how it's working.

Tamby

Registered
Reaction score
Thanks everyone for the insightful (and constructive!) comments.

Although I'm used to writing 2 POVs, my potential WIP seems to only need 1 POV. So it got me thinking . . .
Anyone have any favorite single POV romance titles they'd like to share? :)

Deb Kinnard

Banned
Flounced
Reaction score
Website
www.debkinnard.com
Yes, Judith Duncan's masterful MURPHY'S CHILD, Harlequin, 2011. It's available now for the Kindle. It's set in Vancouver, IIRC, and the POV is totally Murphy's. The beautiful setting is almost a character in itself, and Jordan will just about break your heart.

Jeneral

Cat wrangler
Registered
Reaction score
THE HATING GAME was a hugely successful book last year and is single POV.

chelsea

Registered
Reaction score
Personally, I love two points of view. I want to know what both the woman and male lead are thinking.

Jamills08

Registered
Reaction score
I never thought of what a publisher might prefer, so that's something to think about. I have 2 pov in my current novel and I agree with everyone else. Do what makes the story work and do what makes it great. There would be no story with only 1 pov with mine bc the male is dead.

Status
Not open for further replies.