Hello from Canada

Jan74

Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
I must have started at least four different books in the last year, only to delete them. The ideas are still there but one idea I was working on became so cliche that I had to delete it, I love the idea of the story and maybe I'll return to it, but not this day. Now I've been working on a novel since September BUT I took a four month break from it, life got in the way. I'm rolling now and I write everyday, it's organized and I'm loving it.

My biggest problem is editing, I have to stop myself from reading the first few chapters, my opening paragraph has been rewritten at least six times.....ughhhhh!

By trade I'm a nurse, but my passion is writing, reading, drawing and anything creative. I spent a good chunk of time map drawing, but I've put an end to that, I need to write and draw my maps and images in my down time, my relaxation time, or when I just need to doodle.

My novel is fantasy, what I love about it is creating worlds. However it's been tricky trying to remember orientation. For instance I wrote this morning about my lead sitting by the river watching the sunrise, but afterwards I realized where I had her was the opposite of how the sun would rise. So tomorrow I will need to edit that.

Well it's past my bedtime goodnight all :)

L. Y.

Thread surfer and virtual bartender
Registered
Reaction score
Welcome to the Water Cooler. :welcome:

regdog

The Scavengers
Staff member
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Welcome aboard

Take some time and read the Newbie Guide and the Stickies found
at the top of Forum pages. They are your best guide to learning about
Absolute Write.

Please read the FAQ about posting photos.

In fact we have lots of brilliant FAQs check them out.

Members who want to start a thread in Share Your Work to have work critiqued need
50 posts. Don’t make a mad dash to reach your 50 posts. That is frowned upon and can lead to your posts being deleted.
Take some time to greet fellow newbies, critique other members’ works, or join a discussion.

Announcements, Events and Self Promotion is for active members only. All obvious spam will be deleted on sight!
Here’s how to Promote With Aplomb.

Jan74

Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Welcome aboard

Take some time and read the Newbie Guide and the Stickies found
at the top of Forum pages. They are your best guide to learning about
Absolute Write.

Please read the FAQ about posting photos.

In fact we have lots of brilliant FAQs check them out.

Members who want to start a thread in Share Your Work to have work critiqued need
50 posts. Don’t make a mad dash to reach your 50 posts. That is frowned upon and can lead to your posts being deleted.
Take some time to greet fellow newbies, critique other members’ works, or join a discussion.

Announcements, Events and Self Promotion is for active members only. All obvious spam will be deleted on sight!
Here’s how to Promote With Aplomb.

Thanks I will :)
Thanks everyone for the welcome!

jennontheisland

the world is at my command
Registered
Reaction score
I always thought cartographer would be a great job to have. Never thought of doing it for fun though! How interesting.

Jan74

Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
I always thought cartographer would be a great job to have. Never thought of doing it for fun though! How interesting.
So many great legends online, I'm sure there are computer programs but I like a sketch pad and pencil :) It's definitely relaxing :)

Alcasgra

Registered
Reaction score
Welcome to the Water Cooler! =)

Good luck with the writing! =)

V.J. Allison

Sunny with a Side of Evilness
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.vjallison.com
Welcome to AW, fellow Canadian. :D

Getting things perfect in a story takes time... Just be patient with yourself. I know it's not easy but we writers are lucky in the fact that most of the time, we do not have to get it perfect from the get go, we have time to edit, revise, and make changes a thousand times over (or more) before we put our product out there.

Anyway, I hope you have a blast in the forums, there are a lot of wonderful and knowledgeable people here. :welcome:

Jan74

Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Welcome to AW, fellow Canadian. :D

Getting things perfect in a story takes time... Just be patient with yourself. I know it's not easy but we writers are lucky in the fact that most of the time, we do not have to get it perfect from the get go, we have time to edit, revise, and make changes a thousand times over (or more) before we put our product out there.

Anyway, I hope you have a blast in the forums, there are a lot of wonderful and knowledgeable people here. :welcome:

Thanks! NS that's a place on my bucket list! Last year we drove out to the Rockies and I fell in love, this year we are driving to Niagara Falls....one day I will hit the east coast I want to do the Cabot trail.

V.J. Allison

Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.vjallison.com
Thanks! NS that's a place on my bucket list! Last year we drove out to the Rockies and I fell in love, this year we are driving to Niagara Falls....one day I will hit the east coast I want to do the Cabot trail.

I'm in the southern part of the province, about an hour west of Halifax. I've been to Cape Breton, and it is gorgeous! The Highlands Park is amazing, Hubby and I loved it there.

I haven't been west of New Brunswick and western Massachusetts. Getting to the west coast is on my bucket list. My best pal lives in Seattle, WA, and I really want to visit her sometime. She's sent me a lot of photos of the mountains. Out of this world breathtaking. :)

Jan74

Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
I'm in the southern part of the province, about an hour west of Halifax. I've been to Cape Breton, and it is gorgeous! The Highlands Park is amazing, Hubby and I loved it there.

I haven't been west of New Brunswick and western Massachusetts. Getting to the west coast is on my bucket list. My best pal lives in Seattle, WA, and I really want to visit her sometime. She's sent me a lot of photos of the mountains. Out of this world breathtaking. :)

The mountains are amazing, words don't do it justice. Yes you must go to the west coast :) I'm in the middle, I'm on the most western side of Ontario, where the Canadian Shield begins, lot's of beautiful lakes and forest, but nothing compares to the mountains, we went up in the gondola and climbed to one of the peaks(easy boardwalk thing, not climb as in ropes and stuff) it's truly breathtaking. Now NS and the ocean.....I've been to Florida and loved the ocean....so I think the ocean is jaw dropping also. Makes me realize what an incredible country we have :)

V.J. Allison

Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.vjallison.com
The mountains are amazing, words don't do it justice. Yes you must go to the west coast :) I'm in the middle, I'm on the most western side of Ontario, where the Canadian Shield begins, lot's of beautiful lakes and forest, but nothing compares to the mountains, we went up in the gondola and climbed to one of the peaks(easy boardwalk thing, not climb as in ropes and stuff) it's truly breathtaking. Now NS and the ocean.....I've been to Florida and loved the ocean....so I think the ocean is jaw dropping also. Makes me realize what an incredible country we have :)

Wow, that all sounds awesome! I really do want to see the Pacific Ocean and the western mountains, just once. :) What I would love to do is take a train trip from Halifax to Vancouver, so I can enjoy it all on the way.

It's amazing here. I've lived in this area my entire life and can't imagine anywhere else. My dad was a fisherman for a while, and was a forklift driver in a local fish plant until I was 19. My entire childhood revolved around the sea, somehow.

Oh, my avatar was taken on my favorite beach at sunset. My husband thought it was a cool shot, so did my best pal.

Jan74

Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Wow, that all sounds awesome! I really do want to see the Pacific Ocean and the western mountains, just once. :) What I would love to do is take a train trip from Halifax to Vancouver, so I can enjoy it all on the way.

It's amazing here. I've lived in this area my entire life and can't imagine anywhere else. My dad was a fisherman for a while, and was a forklift driver in a local fish plant until I was 19. My entire childhood revolved around the sea, somehow.

Oh, my avatar was taken on my favorite beach at sunset. My husband thought it was a cool shot, so did my best pal.
Me and my hubby would love to do a train trip! I never made it to the Pacific, we wen to Banff and also drove up to the glacier WOW is that incredible. When our boys leave home the hubby and I plan on renting an RV out west and do the loop, I have to see the Pacific Ocean. You have the Sea in your blood! It's wonderful to have such a great history. My father was Dive Master with the O.P.P and my childhood was filled with swimming and fishing.....I think I'm part fish, I love the water, when we go to camp I can spend hours floating around the lake in a blow up chair, or noodle. So nice to see some fellow Canadians :)

V.J. Allison

Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.vjallison.com
That all sounds like an awesome trip to take! I have a cousin in law out near Edmonton, and she loves it there. I guess it's really amazing. :D It sounds like you had a great childhood too.

It was river, lake and ocean swimming for us. We lived a few minutes walk from a river and we were always there in the summer when we were not at the beach. It was fun. :D