New option list on new laptop driving me crazy! Need advice.

aruna

On a wing and a prayer
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.sharonmaas.co.uk
I recently bought a new laptop with Windows 10 pre installed. I also have a desktop PC with Windows 10. Never had this problem before. I didn't have it on the laptop; then suddenly it cropped up, apparently trying to be helpful. This is the problem:
When I click on a link, any link, or a tab, or an email message, or on anything live at all, instead of being taken there, I get a stupid drop down menu asking me a a whole lot of questions. Do I want to open a new tab, or a new window? etc etc. about ten questions. It's very annoying, and a waste of time. If I keep clicking the same link eventually I MIGHT get through as normal, but it's just luck.
I have no idea what has changed and why it's suddenly doing this. How can I change back to the way things were before?

aruna

On a wing and a prayer
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.sharonmaas.co.uk
Yes -- someont told me that and it is exacltly that menu. Trouble is, I get it if I click anywhere on the trackpad. I think I'll just return the laptop -- I've only had it since Saturday.

aruna

On a wing and a prayer
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.sharonmaas.co.uk
I actually have a new wireless mouse buzt it's connected to my desktop -- which leaves the old wired mouse available! But I don't trust this laptop now.

F1RacerDan

Registered
Reaction score
I would try it with a wired mouse and try checking your mouse settings in control panel? I work in the pc building business so i have seen the craziest issues with trackpads.

This link might help with the swtiching of buttons. Sounds unlikely thought but worth a shot. how used to track pads are you as we sometimes see a lot of people not tapping the right part?

Last edited:

F1RacerDan

Registered
Reaction score
hmm have you tried the mouse yet? Trackpads rarely have issues in terms of faults that you seem to be having.

Curlz

cutsie-pie
Registered
Reaction score
Have a look at your "Ease of Access" and see if "Sticky Keys" is turned on, if yes then turn it off.
Have a look at your Settings -->Mouse Properties, there should be a "Buttons" tab there, see if there is a tick at "Switch primary and secondary buttons", if yes then remove tick.
:Shrug:

nmsheldon

Registered
Reaction score
My laptop's trackpad will trigger the right-click menu if you tap with two fingers instead of one. Is there any chance that you are a two-finger tapper? Even if you aren't the senstivity might be set too high and it's mistaking one finger for two. I've also had trackpads that were set to right-click if you tap close to the right edge.

All of these settings can be changed, usually in the Mouse or Trackpad Properties that Curlz mentioned above.