How long is too long for a short story?

Status
Not open for further replies.

SylviaFrost

Registered
Reaction score
I've got a story going on 15k, is this too long to be short? Unsellable?

Marlys

Resist. Love. Go outside.
Registered
Reaction score
Definitions vary, but here's a starting place. When you're ready to submit, look for places that take novelettes. You can also search for markets by word count on Submission Grinder.

Maryn

Sees All
Staff member
Super Moderator
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Yeah, what she said. (As usual, huh?)

Back when there was a good-sized market for the short stories I was writing, the sweet spot seemed to be 3000 - 4500 words for print. Only big-name established writers were likely to sell a short story over 8,000 or 10,000 words. Anthologies' requirements vary substantially and depend on the anthology, its theme, and the genre. Most of my few anthology sales have been around 4500 - 5500 words.

I have sold very little to online markets, but my overall impression is their desired word counts are a little lower, more like 2500 - 3500 the ideal.

So what you've got is probably no longer a short story at all, but a novelette nearly novella size. When it's finished, you can seek specific markets for it at its present size, or see what (if anything) can pare the word count to make it eligible for more markets.

Maryn, whose short stories turn into novels far too often

stephenf

Registered
Reaction score
Hi
One definition of a short story I have see repeated is, it can be read in a single sitting . If you go with that Idea , the average reading speed is about 200 words a minute or 12,000 Words an hour. There are lots of variables , the complexities of story , writing style and personal preferences . So, a 15,000 word story would take most people an hour and a half to read, probably too long to be a short and is moving in to the novella area.

Last edited:

blacbird

Registered
Reaction score
Word limits are matters of preference for every individual publication outlet. That's really the only answer, and the only place to get sensible guidance is to look at publications and their requirements.

caw

namejohn

Registered
Reaction score
15,000 words is to long but it's not unsellable. If it's something peole are interested in reading, they buy it. A writer can get a book published for free, but it cannot be expected to sell to the reader. This is both the ebook and the print book.
To sell something it needs to be published first, which can be expensive. It also needs to be advertised so people who would buy it knows it's available. This all cost money and most or all companies are not going to invest their money into a book or story not proven to be sellable.

Seven Crowns

Registered
Reaction score
The markets are limited, but they do exist. Every now and then you'll see an anthology open that only wants 10k+ word stories. So save it for one of those.

autumnleaf

practical experience, FTW
Registered
Reaction score
Most short story markets seem have word count limits much shorter than that, but Intergalactic Medicine Show publishes fiction up to 17500 and Magazine of Fantasy and Science Fiction publishes stories up to 25000 (both of these are for speculative fiction, but equivalents probably exist for other genres).

gbondoni

Registered
Reaction score
Something to take into account is the genre of the work. Novella-length works all right and sells reasonably well in some genres (SFF, for example) but not in others, so that's something you may need to consider as well.

Enoise

Registered
Reaction score
It depends on the publication. But a safe caveat could be keeping your stories below 8000. As they say, the longer it is, the more justifiable it needs to be.

JetFueledCar

tiny hedgehog
Registered
Reaction score
15,000 words is to long but it's not unsellable. If it's something peole are interested in reading, they buy it. A writer can get a book published for free, but it cannot be expected to sell to the reader. This is both the ebook and the print book.
To sell something it needs to be published first, which can be expensive. It also needs to be advertised so people who would buy it knows it's available. This all cost money and most or all companies are not going to invest their money into a book or story not proven to be sellable.

It sounds like you're referring to self-publishing, which doesn't sound like what the OP was asking about. The "unsellable" question, at least the way everyone else interpreted it (and the OP's answer seems to indicate that we interpreted it correctly) refers to selling it to a publisher. Publishers pay writers for their stories, not the other way around. I mention because if you're not referring to self-publishing, it seems you may have acquired some misinformation somewhere that I, and I'm sure many other writers on AW, would be happy to clear up.

OP, there are markets that look for 10k+ short stories. If you're attached to this one, I'd keep it in mind for one of them.

Status
Not open for further replies.