AW Amazon Affiliate Store

confused by self-publishing? Find your way to self-publishing success in just 5 easy steps with this free how-to guide!

Editing for authors: because every writer needs a good editor.

If this site is helpful to you,
Please consider a voluntary subscription to defray ongoing expenses.

Welcome to the AbsoluteWrite Water Cooler! Please read The Newbie Guide To Absolute Write

Thread: Black Mirror.

Black Mirror.

A collegue of mine tipped me off on this show. First season aired back in 2011. I couldn't find an existing thread, so I thought I'd start this one.

The show is about the cost that comes with our use of modern technology, but takes it a bit further. We get a peak of things that have not yet come to pass, but are likely to exist, in some form or another, within a couple of decades.

The show is both exciting and harrowing and I literally did not dare to watch more than one episode each night. It is thought-provoking, well written, well acted and I absolutely love it.

Thoughts?
    We dance round in a ring and suppose,
    but the Secret sits in the middle and knows.

-Robert Frost-

Resist. Love. Go outside. Marlys's Avatar
    Two earlier threads:
    one
    two

Pie aren't squared, pie are round! Introversion's Avatar
    I've watched all three seasons. My reactions to them are somewhat like:

60% seem brilliant explorations of technology and human foibles. (Example: The 3rd season episode "Nosedive", or 2nd season "White Bear".) Some of these make me cringe. (Example: The 1st season "Fifteen Million Merits".) The show's extrapolations about near-future technology improvements is often very well-done and plausible. I really appreciate how the series doesn't whack us over the head with the tech that people in the show take for granted; it just shows us.

20% make me cringe hard, and I have trouble finishing them. (Example: The 1st season episode "The National Anthem".)

20% make me go, what?? Some of these make me cringe.

Because the ones that seem brilliant done are often so well done, I'll keep watching. And cringing.

Quote Originally Posted by Marlys View Post
    Two earlier threads:
    one
    two
    Thank you.

-Robert Frost-

Revolutionize the World kuwisdelu's Avatar
    San Junipero.

That's all I'm saying.

Quote Originally Posted by kuwisdelu View Post
    San Junipero.

That's all I'm saying.
    Best episode.

But I also wouldn't do it.

-Robert Frost-

Quote Originally Posted by Introversion View Post
    I've watched all three seasons.

Because the ones that seem brilliant done are often so well done, I'll keep watching. And cringing.
    Was elated and scared that you said there are 3 seasons. On further investigation Netflix in the US released as 2.

Yes - there are many cringes. So many.

I really liked Hated in the nation. It felt like a mid season episode of any good crime drama.

Pie aren't squared, pie are round! Introversion's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by MattW View Post
    Was elated and scared that you said there are 3 seasons. On further investigation Netflix in the US released as 2.
    Hmm. Netflix in the US organizes them (now, anyway) as 3 seasons, but seasons 1 and 2 are rather abnormally short for a series (3 and 4 episodes each -- the "Xmas special" is lumped in with the 2nd season). Now that Netflix is producing them, perhaps we'll get them more regularly?

Quote Originally Posted by kuwisdelu View Post
    San Junipero.

That's all I'm saying.

I thought that was the worst one. My favorite was WHITE BEAR.
    my IMDB page: http://www.imdb.com/name/nm2097751/

My decoupage shoes and fake nail sets, now on Etsy: https://www.etsy.com/shop/CeliaCyanideShoes

I have been nominated for Best Supporting Actress In A Short Film at The International Filmmaker Festival Of World Cinema London (SPOILER ALERT: I won!) http://filmfestinternational.com/bes...ndon-iff-2016/

Anybody seen the new season yet?

My decoupage shoes and fake nail sets, now on Etsy: https://www.etsy.com/shop/CeliaCyanideShoes

I have been nominated for Best Supporting Actress In A Short Film at The International Filmmaker Festival Of World Cinema London (SPOILER ALERT: I won!) http://filmfestinternational.com/bes...ndon-iff-2016/

Quote Originally Posted by Celia Cyanide View Post
    Just finished S4 here.

I'd rate the six episodes thusly: 6, 1, 4, 2, 5, 3 (I found 5 and 3 stylish but missable).

I expect almost everyone will disagree with me.
    January goals:

1. Book 4 revisions
    2. Other WIP revisions
    3. At least 2 blog posts
    4. Figure out the newsletter thing

Hey, I got interviewed by AbsoluteWrite!

Here are some books I wrote.
    Here's a newsletter (and public archive, for the curious-but-don't-want-to-subscribe crowd)

I'm midway through the new season. So far I think it's middle-of-the-road compared to the previous season where you had some great ones mixed with some stinkers.

My favorite of the entire series, btw, is 15 Million Merits.
    Latest work:

Fiction: "Last Time" on Strange Horizons
    Non-Fiction: "Fearing Hope: Confessions of a Wrecked Mind" on Caracas Chronicles

I thought Metalhead was probably the worst this season. My least favorite has always been San Junipero, which I found boring and predictable and cheesy. But it seems to be well liked by most.

I really enjoyed Hang the DJ and USS Callister. White Bear is still my favorite. I wish it were a full length movie.

volitare nequeo AW Moderator veinglory's Avatar
    I binged it and was happy with all the episodes. It's like Bradbury-short-story TV.
    Emily Veinglory

The hubby and I recently watched the season over two-three days and enjoyed most of them. Metalhead was pretty meh but I found Archangel really haunting and intense.

Also chalk me up for not really like San Junipero as well.
    A New Breed is Awakening~

Hybrids - Round 2 Revisions; after three brave beta-readers, our young heroine must battle the red-pocked manuscript and re-write a new beginning

Everything is under control. nighttimer's Avatar
    Just started watching this weekend and only seen "Metalhead" and "U.S.S. Callister."

I thought Metalhead was probably the worst this season. My least favorite has always been San Junipero, which I found boring and predictable and cheesy. But it seems to be well liked by most.

I really enjoyed Hang the DJ and USS Callister. White Bear is still my favorite. I wish it were a full length movie.
    I really don't get the disdain for "Metalhead." I thought it was tense and it was too intense for my wife who has over-stuffed herself on NCIS, Criminal Minds and CSI junk food. You folks got a thing about shows shot in black-and-white?

"U.S.S. Callister" was crazy good and Jesse Plemmons (or Bizzaro Matt Damon as I call him) nailed his inner-William Shatner.

As for the rest of the episodes, I look forward to getting through them and forming my own opinion. Here's what somebody else thought about Season Four of Black Mirror (there are spoilers, so beware!). They dumped on "Metalhead" too, so maybe its just me.
    Last edited by nighttimer; 01-17-2018 at 10:02 PM.
    "Why should we do the dirtiest jobs for the lowest pay? Why should we do the hardest work for the lowest pay? Why should we pay the most money for the worst kind of food and the most money for the worst kind of place to live in? I'm telling you we do it because we live in one of the rottenest countries that has ever existed on this earth. It's the system that is rotten; we have a rotten system. It's a system of exploitation, a political and economic system of exploitation, of outright humiliation, degradation, discrimination – all of the negative things that you can run into, you have run into under this system that disguises itself as a democracy."
    ~ Malcolm X

January 2018

I'm binging this in order (except for the Star Trek episode, which I watched first) and am only up to the start of the 3rd season. The episode with Bryce Dallas Howard was a highlight, but I also liked the Christmas episode, and the one with the dead husband.

I like all the little clues that link the stories together, indicating they all occur in the same timeline. I'm having fun trying to come up with a chronological order for them. So far it seems the X Factor episode is the farthest in the future, being a logical extension of developments in the one with BDH, but I haven't yet seen 'em all.

Quote Originally Posted by nighttimer View Post
    I really don't get the disdain for "Metalhead." I thought it was tense and it was too intense for my wife who has over-stuffed herself on NCIS, Criminal Minds and CSI junk food. You folks got a thing about shows shot in black-and-white?
    Here's the thing...a bad episode of Black Mirror is still good television. But what I look forward to with Black Mirror is all the suspense and plot twists, and the unexpected.

Spoilers follow.

The thing they were after the whole time was a box of teddy bears???? Oh, but it was for a sick child...nah. Still don't buy it. Unless the kid already had some attachment to the thing, it wouldn't mean that much to him. And it was a box of identical teddy bears from a factory, not one owned and loved by him. And it was in black and white, so the teddy bears were actually yellow, so it was not even a clever call-back to my favorite episode White Bear, as I first thought.