'The Expanse'

Zoombie

Dragon of the Multiverse
Registered
Reaction score
I'm going to take all bets now!

Last scene before the end credits will be...

Miller's ghost showing up.

lizmonster

Possibly A Mermaid Queen
Absolute Sage
Registered
Reaction score
Website
elizabethbonesteel.com
Zoombie, I was hoping for that, too.

SPOILERS!

I would have liked to see more of Bobbie beating the daylights out of people, but given all the plot threads they wanted to wind up, I can live with it.

And it's nice to see someone besides Holden do something AMAZINGLY STUPID out of a desire to do good.

And now I have to WAIT and I am UNHAPPY but I'm glad it was renewed. :D

SciSarahTops

late cretaceous
Registered
Reaction score
Reading about writing... less of the actual writin
And then I will have to wait which is not a thing I'm good at. If I limit myself to once a week, I can rerun the whole series a couple of times before we get Season 3.

I have never in my life watched a TV series twice but I love this so much I might have to. Finale was amazing. As soon as it finished I wanted to start it again.

I felt sick seeing Mei and DR Strickland at the end. Also Daddy Mao's smirking face just does my nut in always.

I also would have like to see more of the die-hard Bobby Draper beatdown. And am I going to be the only one to mention Amos in the medbay (!!!!!) Please don't let Cotyar die!!!

So many characters to love on the Expanse. I used to be so pleased watching 'The 100' and seeing such diversity in characters and roles for females but I've not picked up the latest series and it seems trifling compared to The Expanse now, everything does!

Zombie Fraggle

Thick Skin Pre-Installed
Registered
Reaction score
Is this the one with Halle Berry. I started watching it a while ago, but then I got sidetracked, something I do a lot. I might get back to it after I move in June, and after I finish watching Orphan Black (I'm in Season 4).

The sci-fi show starring Halle Berry was called "Extant." It was canceled by CBS a month after the season 2 finale aired. No major cliffhanger. Loose ends were mostly tied up, with some left open-ended to provide a launching point for a third season.

TCnKC

Registered
Reaction score
I have never in my life watched a TV series twice but I love this so much I might have to. Finale was amazing. As soon as it finished I wanted to start it again.

I felt sick seeing Mei and DR Strickland at the end. Also Daddy Mao's smirking face just does my nut in always.

I also would have like to see more of the die-hard Bobby Draper beatdown. And am I going to be the only one to mention Amos in the medbay (!!!!!) Please don't let Cotyar die!!!

So many characters to love on the Expanse. I used to be so pleased watching 'The 100' and seeing such diversity in characters and roles for females but I've not picked up the latest series and it seems trifling compared to The Expanse now, everything does!

How are you reading my thoughts? I absolutely loved 'The 100' the first 2 seasons. They were daring, great writing, great characters and they didn't back down from taking risks or challenges(throwing obstacle after obstacle at characters.) Season 3 was okay but the spark of the first 2 seasons just wasn't there for me. Season 4 has been even less so(though I still need to catch up, I'm behind about 4-5 weeks.)

I felt the same way about the 100 those first 2 seasons as I do about the Expanse now. Just so good and I hope we continue down this exciting path

talktidy

Registered
Reaction score
Got myself a Netflix subscription to check out the new Trek show and came across this gem, which I have missed until now. One advantage: I can marathon the lot.

So far, The Expanse is an absolute joy. I love the grungy feel of the show and the twisted moral compass of some of the characters.

Last edited:

MythMonger

Willing to Learn
Registered
Reaction score
Got myself a Netflix subscription to check out the new Trek show and came across this gem, which I have missed until now. One advantage: I can marathon the lot.

In what magical land are you that you can get both the Expanse and Discovery through a Netflix subscription? :)

talktidy

Registered
Reaction score
I know The Expanse is going out on SYFY shortly for US consumers, but does anyone have any idea when Netflix for UK subscribers will have it?

telford

We learn by doing
Registered
Reaction score
Love this show. Looking forward to its return.

Brightdreamer

Just Another Lazy Perfectionist
Registered
Reaction score
Website
brightdreamersbookreviews.blogspot.com
Got caught up on S1 and 2 via Amazon Prime, and am rewatching before S3 drops next month; will actually attempt to brave commercial breaks to see it as it airs. Enjoyable show, and I like the tweaks they've done on the books.

Laer Carroll

Aerospace engineer turned writer
Registered
Temp Ban
Reaction score
Website
LaerCarroll.com
Too depressing for me. I quit after episode 1. But I was highly impressed with both the SFnal realism and the believable characters and their societies. Proof that good SF books can be done well cinematically.

MythMonger

Willing to Learn
Registered
Reaction score
I'm in the middle of season 2, and there's the issue of increased G's while traveling at high speed in space.

I don't believe I've seen this addressed in other shows, but I also know that the Expanse tends to be more hard SF than most other shows I've watched.

With my non science background, I've just always assumed the zero gravity of space eliminated this problem.

Is this part of the show theoretically sound?

lizmonster

Possibly A Mermaid Queen
Absolute Sage
Registered
Reaction score
Website
elizabethbonesteel.com
I'm in the middle of season 2, and there's the issue of increased G's while traveling at high speed in space.

I don't believe I've seen this addressed in other shows, but I also know that the Expanse tends to be more hard SF than most other shows I've watched.

With my non science background, I've just always assumed the zero gravity of space eliminated this problem.

Is this part of the show theoretically sound?

Yes. Vacuum doesn't suspend physics. Thrust in one direction produces thrust in another. This is why you hear shows like Star Trek talk about things like "inertial dampers" - that's handwavy stuff that means "There's a thing that absorbs all this thrust so our guys don't become paste."

Another thing I like about The Expanse is how long the battles take. Fire a torpedo, and you have minutes before you know if it hit.

And is it just me, or has S3 been really solid so far?

MythMonger

Willing to Learn
Registered
Reaction score
Yes. Vacuum doesn't suspend physics. Thrust in one direction produces thrust in another. This is why you hear shows like Star Trek talk about things like "inertial dampers" - that's handwavy stuff that means "There's a thing that absorbs all this thrust so our guys don't become paste

Thanks for explaining. I already understood that rotating produced gravity, idk why thrust threw me off so much.

Maybe I just need more exposure to sci-fi that doesn’t handwave away so much of the science part...

Brightdreamer

Registered
Reaction score
Website
And is it just me, or has S3 been really solid so far?

Not just you. Really enjoying it. Loving the shifting crew dynamics in particular.

ETA - Aaand SyFy pulls another 'Farscape' - S3 apparently to be the last on the network. Link Here

Word is they're shopping it to other services... Wish there were an organized fan base to mobilize and focus, here, but I haven't seen one.

Last edited:

Brightdreamer

Registered
Reaction score
Website
So, I realize this thread's pretty much dead these days, which probably doesn't say great things about viewership on this board, but I thought I'd throw an appeal here anyway.

Anyone who watches the show and wants to help save it - we need live numbers. (DVR counts, but only in the first three days. Amazon and iTunes downloads count. In Canada, Space Channel counts.) So tonight, 9 PM on SyFy. Any spare sets you can manage, go ahead and turn them on, too. Any friends with spare sets they'd like to "donate" for a good cause, hit them up. It just hit Book 3, so it's probably not a bad place to jump on board.

There are some articles claiming it has been "saved" for S4, but talks are ongoing and the ink isn't on the paper. So we still need support!

If it helps, there's apparently a live-tweet thing going to happen with the cast and crew during the episode. (Yes, I joined Twitter to see what I could do to help.)

And cookies. I'll send virtual cookies. Chocolate chip, not raisin!

#SaveTheExpanse

Last edited:

lizmonster

Possibly A Mermaid Queen
Absolute Sage
Registered
Reaction score
Website
elizabethbonesteel.com
So, I realize this thread's pretty much dead these days, which probably doesn't say great things about viewership on this board, but I thought I'd throw an appeal here anyway.

Anyone who watches the show and wants to help save it - we need live numbers. (DVR counts, but only in the first three days. Amazon and iTunes downloads count. In Canada, Space Channel counts.) So tonight, 9 PM on SyFy. Any spare sets you can manage, go ahead and turn them on, too. Any friends with spare sets they'd like to "donate" for a good cause, hit them up. It just hit Book 3, so it's probably not a bad place to jump on board.

There are some articles claiming it has been "saved" for S4, but talks are ongoing and the ink isn't on the paper. So we still need support!

If it helps, there's apparently a live-tweet thing going to happen with the cast and crew during the episode. (Yes, I joined Twitter to see what I could do to help.)

And cookies. I'll send virtual cookies. Chocolate chip, not raisin!

#SaveTheExpanse

Didn't I see something on Twitter about the great ratings last week?

We get it from iTunes, which AFAIK doesn't count toward SyFy's ratings, but is noted by the production company. We watch the current episode on Thursdays, and have been known to re-watch earlier seasons during the week. (When I'm in need of a good cry, I throw in "Home." It's as sure a thing for me as "The Iron Giant.")

I really hope it gets picked up. The writing is outstanding, and the cast is working so well together at this point. It's a smart story with smart characters, and if they cancel it before Errinwright gets what's coming to him (because he better) I will be deeply saddened.

talktidy

Registered
Reaction score
I love this show, but Netflix doesn't have the new season yet and that is driving me nuts.

If it does stay cancelled, it will be a bloody shame. I can't remember enjoying a SF show so much since Babylon 5.

Brightdreamer

Registered
Reaction score
Website
Didn't I see something on Twitter about the great ratings last week?

We get it from iTunes, which AFAIK doesn't count toward SyFy's ratings, but is noted by the production company. We watch the current episode on Thursdays, and have been known to re-watch earlier seasons during the week. (When I'm in need of a good cry, I throw in "Home." It's as sure a thing for me as "The Iron Giant.")

I really hope it gets picked up. The writing is outstanding, and the cast is working so well together at this point. It's a smart story with smart characters, and if they cancel it before Errinwright gets what's coming to him (because he better) I will be deeply saddened.

Definitely iTunes it; at this point, SyFy probably isn't an option (which is just as well as they don't seem to understand the streaming market, which is how so many people consume their entertainment these days.) But if you have the option, or know someone with a spare TV...

I love this show, but Netflix doesn't have the new season yet and that is driving me nuts.

If it does stay cancelled, it will be a bloody shame. I can't remember enjoying a SF show so much since Babylon 5.

Can you get it through Amazon Prime? Worth the money... trust me, it's just getting better and better.