'The Expanse'

SciSarahTops

late cretaceous
Registered
Reaction score
Reading about writing... less of the actual writin
Yep it looks gorgeous, and the different locations are very distinct. Earth is always lucious, Mars barren, the belt is proper William Gibson neuromancer stuff.

I also love the heavy use of real set and not total green-screen-o-rama but the green screen when it's done it great. there is one scene I would say is the exception but otherwise it is pretty I agree.

Last edited:

lizmonster

Possibly A Mermaid Queen
Absolute Sage
Registered
Reaction score
Website
elizabethbonesteel.com
Over on Twitter, Daniel Abraham (half of the author), is suggesting there may be some big goings-on in tonight's episode.

I have no way to watch live, and have to wait for iTunes to cough up the episode (usually Thursday morning, but not always). I love spoilers, but I love being surprised by this show, and now I'm torn. :)

Jason

Ideas bounce around in my head
Registered
Reaction score
The DVR is set - I watched S1E1 this morning and at lunch - felt a bit stilted in the acting, but that's to be expected in a new TV series. The storyline has me intrigued...a lot of setup is being thrown at me quickly.

lizmonster

Possibly A Mermaid Queen
Absolute Sage
Registered
Reaction score
Website
elizabethbonesteel.com
The DVR is set - I watched S1E1 this morning and at lunch - felt a bit stilted in the acting, but that's to be expected in a new TV series. The storyline has me intrigued...a lot of setup is being thrown at me quickly.

Here is where I admit that I sometimes resort to Google to remind myself who's doing what to whom on this show. The storyline gets very complicated.

Zoombie

Dragon of the Multiverse
Registered
Reaction score
I cried twice in this episode! Good job, Expanse!

EDIT: Also, can I just say how delightful it is to see how even a 1-2 second light lag delay can COMPLETELY screw up a conversation? I wrote about that at some length in my hard SF YA novels, and it makes me tickled pink to see it at work.

SciSarahTops

late cretaceous
Registered
Reaction score
Oh God, Oh God, that was so good. I love the way they explain stuff to us in the show so seamlessly. The Expanse pisses all over anything else on TV, excuse my French! Blub, gawp, gasp!

Spoilery comments below:

Devastated about Miller (also slightly creeped out). Will "the work" continue on Venus?

TCnKC

Registered
Reaction score
I freaking love this show so much. I'd heard about it awhile back but never got around to it, then this past weekend checked out the first ep of season 1 on Amazon prime. Was hooked from the start and it's only gotten better with each ep(finished last night's ep today.) I'm obsessed and have hopefully gotten a couple more people to check it out(pretty sure they'll like it.) I hope this show just builds in audience. That's the only thing that worries me, spread the word people! :)

latieplolo

Registered
Reaction score
I really like the show and I think that the screenwriters did an amazing job with the adaptation. I've only skimmed the books, but my husband has read them, and it seems like there are a lot of improvements in the show.

There are some flaws. I really appreciate the attention to real science, but some of the dialogue from the books is ridiculously terrible. The actors do an amazing job, though, of creating subtleties of character with very little to go on. It wasn't until a second watch that I realized my favorite character (Amos) was mostly so engaging because of the subtext created by the actor. The actor playing Miller also takes a character that I hate as written and makes him seem much more sympathetic and complex.

And it's fun to follow, but pretty silly to imagine a future bureaucracy that functions like a feudal game of maintaining spies and relationships.

Last edited:

MythMonger

Willing to Learn
Registered
Reaction score
I think it really kicked in around Episode 4 of the first season.

Just watched episode 4, and I have to agree. The battle scene was intense, and the hole opening up in the bulkhead next to the crewman was just... gruesome.

Zoombie

Dragon of the Multiverse
Registered
Reaction score
See, this just shows how bizarre I am, because I was hooked the instant they used even somewhat realistic physics and travel times.

lizmonster

Possibly A Mermaid Queen
Absolute Sage
Registered
Reaction score
Website
elizabethbonesteel.com
See, this just shows how bizarre I am, because I was hooked the instant they used even somewhat realistic physics and travel times.

You are not bizarre. It's such a tremendous pleasure to have a well-thought-out piece of SF to play with. :)

Yep, official girl-crush on Drummer.

Love how they let us do some guessing on her, but: oh, my, yes. :D

Zoombie

Dragon of the Multiverse
Registered
Reaction score
It seems that they've combined a few characters to make Drummer...

Overall, the second season is really good. I don't like Bobbie's plot as much as how it was done in the books, but I am really enjoying how they have the Roci's crew meeting Prax (in the books, it was a lot more coincidental and a lot less logical.)

So, it works out.

SciSarahTops

late cretaceous
Registered
Reaction score
Love how they let us do some guessing on her, but: oh, my, yes. :D

I'm guessing with almost everyone! I love it.

Also, I have quite the crush on Anderson Dawes and it scares me a little to think it because he's pretty much an extremist right? Such charisma, crazy people skills. Amazing ability to turn a phrase, twist a viewpoint. I Love the actor (what transformation from Laine on Mad Men!) What a character.

Zoombie

Dragon of the Multiverse
Registered
Reaction score
As an Earth nationalist, I have to say...

The UN flag looks SO MUCH BETTER than the MCR flag.

Seriously, that thing is ug with a capital yuck.

lizmonster

Possibly A Mermaid Queen
Absolute Sage
Registered
Reaction score
Website
elizabethbonesteel.com
'The Monster and the Rocket', what an absolute belter of an episode! Pun intended!

Yeah, that was something. Poor Naomi. Poor Amos! I wouldn't want to cross either of them, but for totally different reasons.

And I am so looking forward to the season finale, and I know exactly what I want to happen. We'll see if I get it. :)

And then I will have to wait which is not a thing I'm good at. If I limit myself to once a week, I can rerun the whole series a couple of times before we get Season 3.