Plot Hurdle

Horseflye

Registered
Reaction score
Hi everyone,

It's been a while, but as I edit my current MS, Kawaii Underground, I've encountered a tricky plot point. I've sort of jumped over it for the time being, but I would really appreciate some ideas!

Condensed synopsis:

MC (Anna, alias Miso Cute) publishes a video that goes viral on her YouTube channel, Kawaii Underground.

With the help of her roommate, MC hones her social media skills and builds her following.

Roommate and MC get in a fight. Friendship ends.

MC gets even more famous; moves to LA.

MC falls in with the wrong crowd, loses sight of herself.

MC's social media accounts get hacked at the pinnacle of her fame.

The Issue: I need a red herring that causes the MC to believe her roommate hacked the accounts. (She didn't; a social media competitor did).

Thanks in advance. I'm happy to post the pitch, if that helps.

MaeZe

Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Not sure it's categorized as a red herring, but the real culprit could set up some incriminating evidence. Someone else could do the same.

More red herring territory: the friend could have something on her own social media site coincidentally looking suspiciously like the something related to the hack.

Horseflye

Registered
Reaction score
Thanks, MaeZe. Yes my mind was tending toward your latter suggestion. I like the first suggestion, too, but the real culprit has no knowledge of the roommate.

Sage

Supreme Guessinator
Staff member
Registered
Reaction score
Could the roommate know the password, since she helped set up the account? This might make the MC believe she's the only one who could hack the site.

Cindyt

Gettin wiggy wit it
Registered
Reaction score
Website
growingupwolf.blogspot.com
The reads are going to know the roommate did it. You could bring in another one or two support characters for a smoke screen or have one of them do it instead of her.

Last edited:

Horseflye

Registered
Reaction score
Sage! That's really helpful! Thanks!

CindyT, the roommate didn't do it. One of the MC's friends in LA did. The roommate is the smokescreen :)

Zombie Kat

Bacteria are your friends
Registered
Reaction score
Website
ilovebacteria.com
Have the room mate get caught accessing the computer without permission? They could be doing it because they're worried about friend for some reason and trying to help, but it would look like maybe they're also responsible for hacking account?

Horseflye

Registered
Reaction score
Thanks @Zombie Cat. That could could work!