Can I Borrow a Couple of Eyeballs, please?

Cyia

Rewriting My Destiny
Registered
Reaction score
This is too short for SYW, and I'm not sure I'd get the right kind of feedback down there. Would you read these lines and tell me what impression you get of the character being described? I need to know if I've got this right.

All questions, concerns or comments appreciated.
[FONT=&quot][/FONT]
[FONT=&quot]Crusoe was the most stunningly beautiful person I’d ever seen. Always had been, and so far no one had come close to stealing the title. Hawk-like eyes. Cheekbones any model would kill for, just to get a shot at having them implanted, with an unquestioningly androgynous edge.[/FONT][FONT=&quot][/FONT]
[FONT=&quot][/FONT][FONT=&quot]
[/FONT]
[FONT=&quot]He preferred people to address him as “he,” but Crusoe was fluid as mercury on a see-saw. For the last eight months, his look had included waist-length hair so jet black that it reflected light in shades of blue and violet. [/FONT]

kuwisdelu

Revolutionize the World
Registered
Reaction score
I keep wanting to call him "they". "Crusoe was fluid as mercury on a see-saw". Does he consider himself genderfluid, or is that the narrator's perception based on how he dresses? Are they referring more to his gender or to his style? ...is what I would wonder.

KTC

Stand in the Place Where You Live
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Website
ktcraig.com
I'm wondering if he is fashion androgynous or genderfluid?

Cyia

Rewriting My Destiny
Registered
Reaction score
He started off as trans, but I'm wondering if the description hasn't put him into genderfluid territory instead of showing that he's getting comfortable in his real skin. I may need to delete the mercury line, which I like, but I don't want to keep if it's giving the wrong impression. (I know I asked about this character and their pronouns once before.)

This is a light sci-fi story, and as far as the narrator is concerned he's "he" because that's what he calls himself. He's a major character, but it's not a coming out story where I'd put in a longer discussion / description. They've known each other since baby-days, so a flat out discussion would be "as you know bob" territory.

I may be overthinking it.

KTC

Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Website
ktcraig.com
I reread the description. I can't decide what I want to say. Particularly about the last two sentences. I feel it's as though the long hair is being used as an example of his genderfluidity (genderfluidness?). I don't see hair as gendered.

Cyia

Rewriting My Destiny
Registered
Reaction score
Oh! The hair is being mentioned because Crusoe's been in an accident and had it laser'd off in a diagonal line.

The narrator (female) was about to complain about her awful day when - here, let me quote the rest of it:

He preferred people to address him as “he,” but Crusoe was fluid as mercury on a see-saw. For the last eight months, his look had included waist-length hair so jet black that it reflected light in shades of blue and violet. But now, his hair was barely shoulder-length. One more change on a day that really didn’t need to bring me more surprises.
“I didn’t cut it,” he said, obviously annoyed. “It was mutilated. Why do you look weird? You’re flat.”

She's being petty and self-centered by design. Both characters are 16. The girl has been forced to move from their "bio-sphere" type experimental colony and she's talking to him for the first time since she's left.

A few lines down, he shows her the scar where the laser cut through his hair and burnt his neck.

[FONT=&quot]“Too late. Wheels are in motion. Give me a name, address, and / or social security number, and I’ll deploy the Emelie-Bean defense. She’s got a new one.”[/FONT]
[FONT=&quot]“That bad?” I asked.[/FONT]
[FONT=&quot]“Wadi ended up in the medical wing, and you’ve already commented on what happened to my hair – it was the only thing that saved me.”[/FONT]
[FONT=&quot]He ducked his head and pulled his hair off his neck so I could see the row of bandaged stitches there.[/FONT]

Last edited:

KTC

Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Website
ktcraig.com
Ah. Okay. Context. It sounded like the line was justifying the fluidity statement without the context. Sorry.

Cobalt Jade

Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
When I read the lines I immediately saw Robinson Crusoe and his man Friday living on a desert island, with umbrellas made of palm leaves. No amount of androgyny mentions, gender fluidity, or long hair would change that first perception for me.

Cyia

Rewriting My Destiny
Registered
Reaction score
Okay for sake of clarification, I think I'm going to tweak the lines.

Two years ago, he set his pronoun firmly as “he,” but Crusoe's look was fluid as mercury on a see-saw. For the few months, that look had included waist-length hair so jet black that it reflected light in shades of blue and violet. He loved his hair.

And then go into the scene where his hair's been butchered. I'm afraid that if I cut out the "mercury" line it will sound like she's discounting him as "he," saying "He set his pronoun as he, but..."

Jade Rothwell

rolling dice
Registered
Reaction score
I had an ex who was bigender but used she/her pronouns, due to be AMAB and not wanting to associate with he/him pronouns unless in a very specific headspace. So it's possible for Crusoe to use he/him despite being described as fluid. I do think you'll need to include some further description of his gender for it to make sense. It doesn't have to be a coming out or explanation story to have a one-paragraph description. It's like any other character backstory. It influences how he sees the world and how it sees him, so if you don't explain it, we can't fully understand who he is.

sublunam

Registered
Reaction score
Website
sublunam.wordpress.com
I know you've already decided to keep the mercury line, but I wanted to chip in with my two cents to say that I like it so much better without. It feels punchier. Which is a rotten adjective, but about the only one I can conjure up.

And I also preferred the first version, where you say "Crusoe was fluid," rather than "Crusoe's look was fluid," especially since the characters have known each other so many years.

The only other point where my attention got jagged was on "jet black." I would prefer "so black it reflected light." I don't think "jet" adds anything, and it rather disrupts the rhythm.

– Jess