Newbie Questions!

RosyMaylor

Registered
Reaction score
So I was hanging out here a couple of years ago and I really enjoyed the vibe... Then life got busy and I ghosted! But I'm back. With questions.

I just got my first novel published and so far I'm really happy with the sales and reviews. I guess... I don't really know what's typical. I've been floating between 10-30 thousand on Amazon. This past weekend was my best, I think it's been three weeks or so. (250ish copies sold so far.) To me that seems awesome!

I'm curious what to expect?

Do you find sales go down after the first 30-60 days? (That's what I've heard. I just want to be prepared.)

Do you see a drop during the week and then a spike on weekends? (I don't want to get too obsessed with the numbers but it's hard not to keep checking!)

How important is a website and blog and mailing list and all that jazz? I want to write. I mean I'll do it if I have to. Lol But I already have a day job. I appreciate that there are no shortcuts to success. I like Twitter and Goodreads though. Is that enough? I created a FB page but I've done nothing with it. FB is such a time suck!

I'm just curious about other author's experiences. There's so much info out there, but it's hard to tell the good advice from the bad. Anything you've found to be a waste of time? Or really worthwhile?

My publisher said they'd put out the next one if this one did well. Is it doing well? Should I be doing more?

Any advice or insight is appreciated!

c.m.n.

Beary cute ( ͡° ͜ʖ ͡°)
Registered
Reaction score
Sounds like you're doing very well for your first book. Congrats!

In my experience, sales will at least trickle down after the first 30-60 days. This always depends on a few things like how much the book is being marketed, etc. Your publisher must be doing some marketing on your part, or perhaps your book just matches a popular genre at this moment.

Anyway, as for social media, the most important thing you should set up if you want to continue writing is a mailing list! And make sure you give your publisher the mailing list sign up link, and ask if they can include it in your book. If you don't do anything else, a mailing list is a first-and-foremost place fans will go to read what you have coming up!

Secondly, a Facebook page is always a great option. You can run your own ads on the page if you want, and you can include another way for fans to reach you if they don't know about your mailing list. If you're worried FB can be a time suck, then follow these steps: log in, post, log out. :)

Besides for those two things, there really isn't much benefit to a blog anymore. And a website could be a major time suck, too (setting it all up, doing the coding, figuring out all that stuff). I'd suggest keeping the idea of a website on the backburner for when you have more books published.

And yes, you are doing well. I would definitely finish the second book if it's not already done and get that baby sent to your publisher! You want to ride on these awesome sales as much as possible. The best way to get your name out there is to write/publish more books.

Good luck!

Last edited:

RosyMaylor

Registered
Reaction score
Cool! Thanks so much for the tips! :D

I think it helps that the book is very *ahem* niche. (Historical, erotica, Bdsm) And my publisher specializes in Bdsm erotica but doesn't publish tons of historical books so fans of the genre probably read all that come out. They said they weren't sure if they'd publish the next one because historical sales are "unpredictable".

Maybe they'll stick with their more established historical authors, if mine doesn't really make a splash. (This is speculation on my part!)

I know they have their own mailing list, so I'm not sure if it's a faux pas to ask that they promote mine?

Their website is well maintained and really promotes new titles well. My author page gives links to my Twitter, goodreads and website/blog. One person even signed up for my mailing list through my website. Lol Hopefully not a bot. ;)

They definitely sent out some ARC copies to reviewers, but I don't know if I should ask for the link (is it a link? I have no idea!) to send some out myself? Same reason, maybe it's not done or it's rude to ask?

I'm really happy with them so far so I don't want to step on any toes in my excitement. ;) My 2nd is already finished and I'm 3/4 done my third, so I'm gonna keep up my writing addiction either way. I'm pleased with my experience with them so far, so I'd prefer to stick with them if possible.

c.m.n.

Beary cute ( ͡° ͜ʖ ͡°)
Registered
Reaction score
If you received your own ARC copies of your book, you could always ask the marketing department (if they have one) for a list of reviewers they send to. They probably already inquired those places about your book, but it helps in case you find a reviewer you're interested in.

Maybe it will be a faux pas to ask the publisher to promote your mailing list, so you could always put it on your FB page and Goodreads.

And you never know what the publisher might say if you send them the 2nd book. They might be okay to publish since your first book is doing so well.

If you don't mind me asking, which publisher are you working with?

RosyMaylor

Registered
Reaction score
They're called, "Stormy Night Publications". Mostly spanking and BDSM romance, but a variety of genres.