Video Game Screenwriting Information & Salary

Status
Not open for further replies.

DirectionWritten

Registered
Reaction score
http://careersthatdontsuck.com/2006/10/17/careers-that-dont-suck-profile-video-game-scriptwriter/

Above is an article that I found very interesting.

I'm currently taking a Video Game Programming and Design course in high school. It's interesting, but the writing part is what I'm most interested in possibly doing when I get older, and that isnt even touched on.

Does anyone here have any links to video game scripts that could be used as format examples? I created this thread so that anyone interested in the career could have some examples to look back on.

Here is the Skyrim screenplay.

https://www.gamefaqs.com/xbox360/615803-the-elder-scrolls-v-skyrim/faqs/69918

DirectionWritten

Registered
Reaction score
Last edited:

VeryBigBeard

Preparing for winter
Registered
Reaction score
Hi. Game writer here. :welcome: to you both.

Game scripts aren't always or often public because they can be messy and the format tends to depend heavily on the game in question and its implementation/pipeline. I wouldn't write a big long Word doc for a heavily branching game because it's hard to follow and harder for other team members to read. Sometimes game dialogue (think barks) is written in Excel, or in proprietary dialogue engines. (It's also often written in Twine format and if you're interested in getting into writing for games this is a good format to learn as it comes up a lot in samples.)

Cutscenes would usually be in screenplay format but not every game uses cutscenes extensively. Similarly, a AAA game script is going to look different than an indie game script because they're developed in very different ways. Example: in a AAA script, I'm more likely to have to write extensive stage directions on a scene to guide a cutscene director on the animation team (which is often in a different studio). On an indie team, I turn around and call across the room/Skype to the animator, we work out what we can do on a whiteboard, and I adjust the script accordingly.

A lot of games writing is done freelance but some of the larger studios do have narrative teams, encompassing narrative designers and writers. The narrative design is just as if not more important than the actual text, because games are always interactive.

The single best way to get into games is to make games. If your high school course has any opportunity to make something, even something small, grab it and run with it. Start building a portfolio now. Some of the early stuff will be crap, probably, but the important thing is to learn.

If you're particularly interested in writing, look at writing courses in university, as well as English. I did a journalism/English combined degree. It's helped. Learn to write overall. Then learn to write for games.

Keep diving into the broader parts of game design and other disciplines as well (animation, engineering, art, sound). Very few games start with story ideas and coming up with them is not an entry-level position. The more hats you can can wear, the more valuable you can be to a small team where you can take charge of what story a game has. Learn to scope. Learn to work with player agency and how play systems work. Watch Extra Credits on Wednesdays--they're great for looking at how games work and the episodes are written by game writer James Portnow.

Write everyday. Experiment. See what happens. No word is wasted.

Also, games writing does not pay particularly well. Games roles in general don't--a programmer can make more in corporate than in the games world, though like anything it's not bad at the higher levels. There is a lot of turnover in the games industry as studios flourish and then close. If you're interested in this kind of thing, Gamasutra publishes a semi-annual salary survey, though the most recent I can find is for 2014.

Last edited:

DirectionWritten

Registered
Reaction score
Hi. Game writer here. :welcome: to you both.

Game scripts aren't always or often public because they can be messy and the format tends to depend heavily on the game in question and its implementation/pipeline. I wouldn't write a big long Word doc for a heavily branching game because it's hard to follow and harder for other team members to read. Sometimes game dialogue (think barks) is written in Excel, or in proprietary dialogue engines. (It's also often written in Twine format and if you're interested in getting into writing for games this is a good format to learn as it comes up a lot in samples.)

Cutscenes would usually be in screenplay format but not every game uses cutscenes extensively. Similarly, a AAA game script is going to look different than an indie game script because they're developed in very different ways. Example: in a AAA script, I'm more likely to have to write extensive stage directions on a scene to guide a cutscene director on the animation team (which is often in a different studio). On an indie team, I turn around and call across the room/Skype to the animator, we work out what we can do on a whiteboard, and I adjust the script accordingly.

A lot of games writing is done freelance but some of the larger studios do have narrative teams, encompassing narrative designers and writers. The narrative design is just as if not more important than the actual text, because games are always interactive.

The single best way to get into games is to make games. If your high school course has any opportunity to make something, even something small, grab it and run with it. Start building a portfolio now. Some of the early stuff will be crap, probably, but the important thing is to learn.

If you're particularly interested in writing, look at writing courses in university, as well as English. I did a journalism/English combined degree. It's helped. Learn to write overall. Then learn to write for games.

Keep diving into the broader parts of game design and other disciplines as well (animation, engineering, art, sound). Very few games start with story ideas and coming up with them is not an entry-level position. The more hats you can can wear, the more valuable you can be to a small team where you can take charge of what story a game has. Learn to scope. Learn to work with player agency and how play systems work. Watch Extra Credits on Wednesdays--they're great for looking at how games work and the episodes are written by game writer James Portnow.

Write everyday. Experiment. See what happens. No word is wasted.

Also, games writing does not pay particularly well. Games roles in general don't--a programmer can make more in corporate than in the games world, though like anything it's not bad at the higher levels. There is a lot of turnover in the games industry as studios flourish and then close. If you're interested in this kind of thing, Gamasutra publishes a semi-annual salary survey, though the most recent I can find is for 2014.

Thank you so much for sharing all of the knowledge that you have about this topic, VeryBigBeard! Much appreciated!

kneedeepinthedoomed

Registered
Reaction score
Website
spawnhost.wordpress.com
Indie game writer.

VBB makes some good points.

My game is story based and I do use "film script" style for the cinematics, including camera directions, cuts etc for the animation stage. However, the high-level script includes all the interactive parts as well, and those are in treatment form with the dialogue popping out into script form, i.e. what is sometimes called a scriptment in the world of film. This scriptment is largely meant for team members and includes the cinematics as well so it reads like the entire game experience from A to Z.

The format does depend much on what kind of game it is obviously. Hard to predict what the player will actually do in a sandbox environment so you can't do much better than say "these quests are available and the player will probably be doing some of them but we don't know which ones." You can deliver treatments or blurbs about the contents of quests etc of course.

A JRPG-style game may use a totally different interface compared to something like The Witcher or whatever, so information will reach the player in a different form. You need to make this clear in your script; how does the game actually function.

For things like characters, backstory, worldbuilding, plot, dialogue... you can by and large apply general writing or film writing advice. Just keep in mind the expectations of gamers as opposed to those of readers. You'll have to deliver a bit more quickly and probably in smaller chunks. A lot of people will just be wondering "when can I shoot something?" and that can be disappointing to a storyteller but you need to live with it. Don't obscure the actual mechanics; keep people busy. Don't have your story bump and grind up against the mechanics either.

Note that a more technical design document will probably serve as the backend for your script and define what all the characters look like, what is X monster and how does it behave, etc. You can use links to the GDD or you can give a description.

Also remember that each line of dialogue etc. will need to be animated. The overhead is quite huge.

I found it helpful to read film scripts.

VeryBigBeard

Preparing for winter
Registered
Reaction score
One of the many good things kneedeepinthedoomed brought up is that everything in the script works off of other docs. It's quite common to write a fair bit in wiki format and if you have a team there's a lot riding on the other members being able to quickly understand the core story from a treatment, script, or design doc.

Games are super collaborative. Even working solo, which I'm doing right now, I end up trying to separate design decisions and writing decisions in my head so I can keep clear how my story decisions affect the gameplay and how my game decisions affect the story.

One thing I've found helpful in open-world games is to work with the overall design and build a bunch of interface points all around the world that convey some small detail. It's called environmental storytelling sometimes. This can cut down on both overhead and story bloat--any scene where two characters are just talking is a scene that's not directly involving the player in the game system (unless the system incorporates that, something like a BioWare or TellTale title where the story is the game; those titles definitely exist and are getting more popular).

That's one of the big differences between film or prose writing and game writing. In the former, characterization can directly move the narrative. As kneedeep says, in games you have to have something for the player to do. Doesn't have to be shooting (though it often is); it just has to give the player some sort of agency.

JRPGs are very different, in some ways. Maybe more filmic? If you're interested in that kind of thing, I think RPG Maker is a great tool to play around with a bit. Unity, too, if you have a decent base of tech skills and can pick up its quirky version of C$ easily. Twine is really good for branching narratives in the TellTale/BioWare style. Prototyping open-world is hard but sometimes works well with board game or D&D-style written rulesets to test ideas.

Biggest thing is to build something. Best way to learn to write games is to learn to make games.

Status
Not open for further replies.