The AW Amazon Store
Buy Books by AWers!

Welcome to the AbsoluteWrite Water Cooler! Please read The Newbie Guide To Absolute Write

Thread: [Publisher] Claren Books

AW's resident Velociraptor ShaunHorton's Avatar

[Publisher] Claren Books

Does anybody know much about them or the guy running it, Bill Adler? They have a few books out, and the website is only copyright 2017.

They have an open submission call for a series called "The Binge-Watching Cure" which sounds interesting, but I wanted to see if anyone knew anything before I drop into it.

Website.
    My weekly blog
    My Amazon Author Page
    Twitter
    Facebook

It's out! Hannah is finally out of my hands and on Amazon!

"Is there something seriously wrong with you?"
    "Well, yeah, but that's kind of the point."

I think that's good that they show their bios, but it doesn't sound like they have a whole lot of experience. I just noticed one book on the Binge Watching page. In Bill's bio, it says he was a literary agent. Ok, from where?

They pay a nice amount for short stories so I can see how it would be interesting. I would still be careful and keep checking around though before I would submit.
    My blog Lists of YA (and Adult) Publishers that pay advances and are accepting unagented submissions

Twitter

My YA novel, FIX ME is coming from Flux Books November 2017

Mostly Harmless SuperModerator CaoPaux's Avatar
    Bill Adler, Jr., agent and packager: http://www.adlerrobin.com/

As was his father, RIP: https://www.nytimes.com/2014/03/04/b...t-84.html?_r=0
    Last edited by CaoPaux; 02-08-2017 at 08:19 PM. Reason: lysdexia strikes again
    ICAO
    ---------
    Achievers strive for excellence. Perfectionists drive themselves to extinction. -- A Grapple A Day
    I've never known any trouble that an hour's reading didn't assuage. -- Charles DeSecondat

II 2016: 2017:

He does seem to be on the level, and certainly The Binge-Watching Cure is paying good rates for accepted stories. This bit from the FAQ seems decent for a start-up publisher, though depending on how well things go you might get practically nothing. I suppose what experience they have will show over the next few years...

------------------------
    What are your royalty rates?

We pay authors 50 percent of our net receipts.

Claren books is a royalty-paying publisher: Money only flows from us to you. We are responsible for all the publishing expenses including proofing, editing, cover design, production, and marketing. We don’t pay advances, but use those funds to make great book covers, hire excellent editors, and market books with all our energy and creativity. We pay authors half of our net receipts (total income, minus our costs); we share equally in the profits.
    ------------------------
    Welcome, Watchers of illusion, to the castle of confusion.
    Spellcasting: W.I.N.E
    Website Twitter

AW's resident Velociraptor ShaunHorton's Avatar
    Yeah. It was the payment for their Binge-Watching Cure anthology which made me really question things. $200 for stories under 5000 words, and $500 for stories over? That can't be right, can it?
    My weekly blog
    My Amazon Author Page
    Twitter
    Facebook

It's out! Hannah is finally out of my hands and on Amazon!

"Is there something seriously wrong with you?"
    "Well, yeah, but that's kind of the point."

I have a short piece under consideration for that anthology, so I can certainly let you know if they go ahead with it.
    Welcome, Watchers of illusion, to the castle of confusion.
    Spellcasting: W.I.N.E
    Website Twitter