Do you watch for the entire thing or just characters?

Mark Moore

Banned
Reaction score
This is a very general topic, having to do with any television series or movie (or, heck, any fiction at all). When you watch (or read or listen), do you do so for the entire package (characters, world, etc.) or for just the characters (or even just specific characters)?

As an example, I watch "Supergirl" (one of only two series that I actually watch on a network), but my interest is in Kara as well as her sister Alex and Alex's girlfriend Maggie. Really, just what those three are up to. I really don't care about anyone else (such as dopey Mon-El or James Olsen and his manpain) or anything else (I don't care if some comic reference is made, even though I know there are fanboys that orgasm to that stuff). If Lena Luthor shows up, that's pretty awesome. But, again, I'm watching for just these specific characters. Everything else is just clutter or an obstacle to overcome in order to have a 22-episode season of 40-minute episodes.

Side note: I wrote a Supergirl fanfic series from 2002 to 2006, and then I finally lost interest. It was meant to be very basic and grounded without the Big Events and Giant Threats. While the first year of it had a justification for existing (she was becoming Supergirl), everything after that was just a month in the life (with maybe some minor conflict). I eventually realized it was a chore putting out a monthly story and gave up. In this case, I was focusing on the character, but there's not a whole lot for her to do without some artificial conflict or a big problem to solve.

The other TV series that I watch on a network is "Riverdale". I'm a longtime Archie Comics fan. I know these characters. Yes, this series is different and kinda dark, but I'm enjoying it. Back in September, I started writing a monthly fanfic series. The plan was for it to be 45 chapters long, building the characters from the ground up and following them through all four years of high school, focusing on four female characters. I gave up after four issues, partly because it was getting no reviews and no favorites but also because it didn't have much reason for existing. These characters were besties (with the exception of Veronica not liking Cheryl) and generally got along. I had decided to not focus on the usual conflicts from the comics (fighting over Archie, out-doing each other, being involved in school activities) and instead focus on just their friendship/romance and being with each other. I actually had to think for a while to come up with enough forced situations to fill 45 chapters. There's not enough there, even though I read Archie Comics primarily for a handful of female characters and roll my eyes at a lot of the situations. Conversely, while I enjoy watching "Riverdale", I keep thinking "C'mon, high school was never that complicated. At most, my high-school life could probably be distilled into a monthly series of mildly entertaining 40-minute episodes."

Then there's other stuff like Lord of the Rings. I'm primarily interested in Arwen, Galadriel, and Eowyn. The X-Men films? Let's see the girls kick some butt, especially if her name is Jean Grey. The original Spider-Man trilogy? Yeah, he was kinda cool, but Mary Jane was so adorable (I kid you not, I edited her scenes from the first movie into a 40-minute short film). G.I. Joe? What's Scarlett up to today? Power Rangers? All about Kimberly for me (and later Catherine). And so on. I'm more into the characters than the environment (or even, sometimes, the plot). Stuck on an alien world? Yeah, no, I really don't care what it is or who these bad guys coming at you are or what their motivation is. Kick some ass and continue being awesome.

So, yeah, anyone other than me view stuff in this way?

Cindyt

Gettin wiggy wit it
Registered
Reaction score
Website
growingupwolf.blogspot.com
With movies it is story. Point blank and period.

With books, it's the entire package.

Story first. If it's mediocre I dump it; if it's a series with the SOSO conflicts, bye bye. For example the Jenny and Steve Morgan Sweet Savage Love series with it's rapes and break ups ad nauseam. But, uh, I read them all three or four times during my bodice-ripper days. ;)

If it's a good read I can overlook bad characterization.

As for world, I've got an Alex Cross gathering dust because 95% of the location is a standoff, plus ye old conflict of Alex working to much and so and so on.

Last edited:

Roxxsmom

Beastly Fido
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Website
doggedlywriting.blogspot.com
I think I tend to be fairly package driven when it comes to books especially. Characterization tends to be most important, but world and story matter too. An intriguing character can make an uninteresting (to me) world or premise more so, but that has limits. I tend to like stories that are (at least in part) driven by a character's personality and emotional profile. And I like seeing how a given character will respond to the external situations in a book.

For TV, if it's a series, I want interesting characters who drive elements of the plot, but I also tend to gravitate even more strongly towards certain premises. I tend to like shows that have a SF or F premise, or something I find interesting in real life (like medical type settings).

For movies, I can sometimes get caught up in a story that lacks very distinctive characters, if the premise or situation is interesting or aesthetically pleasing enough. I don't care for movies that are just about explosions and car chases, but for a couple of hours, I can be pulled in by something that has a fast pace and a feel-good story, even if it's pretty mediocre overall, and the characters are more forgettable.

I think I have higher standards for books and television series, because they require more of a time commitment. They have to be good enough to make me come back to them after I'm forced to put them down and take a break from them for a while.

I think this is why I've never been a big TV watcher. Unless I really love a show, I may catch and episode here and there, but I don't like structuring the rest of my life around when it's going to be on next (or remembering to record it). Of course the modern approach to television (with downloads and live streaming of episodes at the viewer's convenience) is changing this aspect of TV watching.

Brightdreamer

Just Another Lazy Perfectionist
Registered
Reaction score
Website
brightdreamersbookreviews.blogspot.com
It's been ages since I've watched new TV - got sick of favorite shows being prematurely axed, drug out too long, or fixed when they weren't broke - but when I did it was a package deal for me, too. I had to enjoy the concept and the cast or I couldn't really enjoy it. (Like Roxxmom, I tend to favor SF/F concepts as well, though I can watch and enjoy other stuff, too, particularly if it's well written.) Naturally, I often had favorites and least-favorites, but they alone wouldn't be enough to make or break the experience alone... though if a least-favorite character grew annoying enough to derail my overall enjoyment, I'd call that a sign of deteriorating overall quality, not the fault of that one character, who after all doesn't exist in a vacuum. Same way one well-written character generally couldn't keep me watching a show that otherwise never got off the ground.

For books, those tend to be package deals for me, too, though in epics and those with multiple POVs I often have favorites. Again, though, I won't read if I can't at least tolerate the least-favorite characters or aspects of the story.

If we're talking fanfic, yeah, I tend to favor certain characters over others. The vast majority of my 'fic was never posted for public viewing, though - I wrote 'em mostly for me.

DancingMaenid

New kid...seven years ago!
Registered
Reaction score
It totally depends for me. I would say that it's hard for me to get into something if I don't like the characters or if too many of my favorite characters leave/get killed off. Conversely, I will sometimes keep watching stuff that I don't think is terribly good because I really love the characters. But there are limits.

But if I like the whole package, that's great!

Frankie007

Registered
Reaction score
i guess what draws me to a tv show or a major movie is the actor. Kate Beckinsale! Jessica Alba, Lucas Black, Cameron Bright, JLaw....just to name a small handful. I follow them as they go from movie to movie. However, due to then finding out the plot of the movie or tv show...I may skip it.
In the case of Stranger Things...it was the whole 80s angle that drew me in, plus the fact that one of the main characters had superpowers! and they were heavy into playing RPGs. after seeing it...those group of kids....became added to my list of fav actors....
Oddly though....like with Walking Dead. yes, I do like zombie flicks--i'm more into vampires though--....it wasn't until the summer/fall between season 3 and 4 that I caught on to the show. I wind up being a late bloomer to liking a show.

the shows i've liked...sadly they kind of no longer will have new material...is American Gothic with Lucas Black, Dark Angel with Jessica Alba, Point Pleasant, and The Odyssey (a canadian tv series).
and then there are shows like the Vampire Diaries, which I only like the first 2 seasons...once they introduced other supernatural characters and left Mystic Falls....i tuned out--even more so when Nina left the show. And Buffy the Vampire Slayer...i hated it after season 3 and when they made Dawn part of the show. Eliza Dushku was my fav...and I followed her over to Angel.

Last edited:

dirtsider

Not so new, really
Registered
Reaction score
I'm another "it depends" person.

For movies, I tend to get bored with the usual 1.5-2 hour explosion/gore fest. But if it has a coherent, interesting plot and/or interesting characters, I'll watch it. Even then, there have been times where I wished I had a fast-forward device for some movies, just to get past the fight scenes and back to the plot or character growth.

TV shows - I'm a bit more picky. I enjoy good (meaning interesting) characters so I'm willing to overlook some filler episodes if they push the plot or character growth in some way. Funny thing is, I like sci-fi and fantasy movies but tend more toward police procedural TV shows. For example, I enjoyed the Buffy the Vampire Slayer movie but never got into the TV show. And I couldn't get into the Walking Dead but loved Castle and NCIS. (Love Killjoys though!)

As for books, I'm very picky. Wheel of Time and Game of Thrones (SoFaI) tend to get thrown across the room due to the glacial pace of the plot and overly annoying characters. I did/do like the Game of Thrones series on HBO, though. I guess, with books, it all comes down to characters and plot I can identify with and good pacing. The Name of the Wind is just as thick as Game of Thrones but the pacing was better, imo. Roxxsmom nailed it on the time commitment as regards to books. Then again, I've gotten more into reading books on gardening and non-fiction topics than fiction in the last several years.

edutton

Ni. Peng. Neee-Wom.
Registered
Reaction score
I tend to be character oriented, especially for TV series. The very few shows I actually watch generally have (a) characters I love for various reasons (whether they're adorkable, like Willow, or complex and interestingly screwed up, like House), and/or--usually and--a lot of humor.

My absolutely archetypal TV show is probably Chuck. The premise is absurd, the plots of individual episodes are often ridiculous to the point of stupidity - and I ADORE it. It's the TV equivalent of The Princess Bride for me - visual "comfort food" that will always make me feel better if I'm having a bad day. I have a ridiculous amount of fondness for everyone connected with that show, and will watch pretty much anything they turn up in. And that's all down to the characterization, both the writing and the acting.

Curlz

cutsie-pie
Registered
Reaction score
This is a very general topic, having to do with any television series or movie (or, heck, any fiction at all). When you watch (or read or listen), do you do so for the entire package (characters, world, etc.) or for just the characters (or even just specific characters)?
You remind me that I watched season 10 of the "X-Files" because of the characters. I was trying to forget that I've watched it, or that it exists at all. And I sat through most of "Bones", and "Indiana Jones IV", and I didn't enjoy one little bit. The mysteries of the human mind. :Shrug:I need a tub of ice-cream now ... Or an episode of Sherlock.

amergina

Pittsburgh Strong
Staff member
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.annazabo.com
I don't watch current TV, due to lack of free time, but I have been watching some older shows on Netflix when I *do* have the time.

Lately, I've been watching through the series White Collar. I'll admit that what caught my interest in the first place was that Matt Bomer is a bae and looks damn sweet in suits, plus I love New York City. I like that the cast is reasonably diverse (since, NYC).

But what kept my attention were the characters and the plot that twines the lives of the characters together. On the surface it's basically a police procedural, albeit with the FBI about white collar crimes. But it's also about redemption, coming to terms with the past, finding trust, and finding a place. I'm invested in the friendships, the relationships, and the connections.

So eye candy drew me in, but characterization *and* plot keep me coming back (when I have a little free time).

Maryn

Baaa!
Staff member
Super Moderator
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Uh, what's a "bae"?

Frankie007

Registered
Reaction score
Uh, what's a "bae"?

danish for poop
and no, i'm not making this up

personally, it seems like anyone that uses that word...was TRYING to spell BaBe....but forgot to hit the second B.

Last edited:

amergina

Pittsburgh Strong
Staff member
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.annazabo.com
Bae is a pop culture slang for babe or baby, often used as a term of endearment for significant others.

(And while I wouldn't mind if Matt Bomer were *my* bae, he has a husband.)

And Frankie007, thanks for being respectful to your fellow writer. Appreciate it! :Thumbs:

edutton

Ni. Peng. Neee-Wom.
Registered
Reaction score
Bae is a pop culture slang for babe or baby, often used as a term of endearment for significant others.

And Frankie007, thanks for being respectful to your fellow writer. Appreciate it! :Thumbs:
I've seen it stated in a couple of places that it's an acronym, for "before anyone else", but I have no idea if that's right...

Grayson Moon

Registered
Reaction score
Random thought here, but did anyone else watch Once Upon a Time and mistake Rumpelstiltskin calling his son "Bae" as in the actual pop culture reference "bae"? Yes, his name was Baelfire, but still....

As not to distract from the thread, there are some shows I watch for the characters. I watch The Flash mostly for the characters ever since the end of season two. I watch Gotham for the show as a whole, and constantly ask myself why I find it so riveting when "Batman" hasn't been born yet. Like others, I can only tolerate so much before I let the show go. I don't watch Supergirl because the main character falls a little flat for me personally (like an adult spin on Peter Parker without the classical cheesy jokes). Not to discredit all the television legends that made both the characters and the plot worth every second (like Lost, may it rest in peace).

Frankie007

Registered
Reaction score

you're welcome. also...i just remembered.... back in the 90s....we were using the term BOO. as in my boo. now that Bae is out. i'm really wanting to bring BOO back. LOL

edutton

Ni. Peng. Neee-Wom.
Registered
Reaction score
In the case of Stranger Things...it was the whole 80s angle that drew me in, plus the fact that one of the main characters had superpowers! and they were heavy into playing RPGs. after seeing it...those group of kids....became added to my list of fav actors....
Even if it hadn't been great--which it was!--I would have kept watching for Gaten Matarazzo. Dustin was my favorite part of the show! :)

Lavern08

Sit Down, and Shut Up!
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
I tend to be character oriented, especially for TV series. The shows I actually watch generally have characters I love for various reasons, or complex and interestingly screwed up, like House
Yeah that ^

DragonHeart

Oerba Yun Fang
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.thefinalfantasy.com
Definitely a case by case basis for me.

To give a TV example, Supernatural. The first 5 seasons were the original story arc; it wasn't planned to go beyond that, but it ended up being so popular it's now 12 seasons and going strong. While in the beginning I definitely watched it for the whole package, once the main story was resolved (more or less...), I kept watching for the characters. Well, mostly Castiel if I'm being honest.

I will rarely enjoy a story if I don't like at least one of the characters, regardless of the rest, though.