IMDb Shop Talk Writers

Maryn

Sees All
Staff member
Super Moderator
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
I was stunned they decided to close the discussion boards rather than do something about them. Yeah, yeah, it's a bazillion users, many with serious trolling intent, mental health issues, axes to grind, spam to post, etc., but when you couldn't remember the name of that movie where that thing happened, they'd find it for you. And I've met a number of terrific people there.

Anyway, I posted a link to Absolute Write at IMDb's Shop Talk Writers board. If you're from there, use this thread to say hi.

Maryn, speedy as ever

Last edited:

Maryn

Sees All
Staff member
Super Moderator
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Nobody? Okay, then. It's a shame; I know some of those aspiring screenwriters also write fiction.

DirectionWritten

Registered
Reaction score
Nobody? Okay, then. It's a shame; I know some of those aspiring screenwriters also write fiction.

Hello there! I believe I know you from IMDB. ��

You need to at least convince Nomadic & Sauly to come. They must be converted to AbsoluteWritism before D-Day, Maryn.

Get to work!

Maryn

Sees All
Staff member
Super Moderator
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
I have tried with both of them in the past and gotten nowhere. I gather Nomadic is getting what she needs from Twitter, which surprises me. Sauly, I don't know.

I'd welcome just about everybody who's there, including those who don't behave decently. They could get a fresh start here, no baggage, no preconceptions, and since this site is well moderated, they'd be gone if they were to fall back to their old ways.

Miss_Vix

Registered
Reaction score
MsJackieO here - but under a different name, obviously! Am looking forward to a zero-tolerance of trolls who killed IMDb's STW. Not sure how much I'll post but am here nonetheless.

AW Admin

Administrator
Registered
Reaction score
There's a screen writing and scripts subforum here, and one for discussing Movies, TV and Theater.

If anyone wants to change their Username to one that may be more familiar to friends from elsewhere, let me know via PM.

It's possible that IMDB is working on a solution backchannel; keep your fingers crossed.

Joscco

Registered
Reaction score
Hi Speed, er, Maryn. Been here stumbling about a coupla days getting a feel for the place. Haven't even properly introduced myself on the Newbie introduction board yet. Thanks for posting the link for this place! :hi:

Frankie007

Registered
Reaction score
am i very sad that the boards are closed. where else could we gather in one spot and talk about any movie or cast (on their respective boards). once again, something is ruined for the rest of us by a few jerks....

Maryn

Sees All
Staff member
Super Moderator
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
In my opinion--you expected someone else's?--IMDb sealed the fate of its message boards when they gave up on adequate moderation and allowed multiple accounts. The cost to hire sufficient staff to moderate would surely have been staggering, but they could have tapped board regulars as volunteer moderators, trained them in exactly what they wanted, given them the authority to delete and to recommend bans, and had a very small number of hired staff oversee the volunteers, ensuring they were doing the job correctly. It works at some pretty large sites.

Instead, they've broken up some long-standing communities like STW and the Books board.

Anyway, welcome! Please do take a minute to introduce yourself at the Newbies board, then check out the board for scripts. If you have questions about how to find stuff, how to use the boards, like that, I'll be happy to try to answer them.

Oh, and I strongly recommend getting comfortable at some of the boards which are more about socializing over a common interest. You meet some great people, form connections, and find the experts you need while having fun.

Last edited:

Miss_Vix

Registered
Reaction score
Looking for IMDb STW & DDP members - especially Speed

Hi all,

As it says on the tin, I'm looking to make contact with IMDb Shop Talk Writers regulars and Done Deal Pro, especially Speed OF Late and, if she is here, Nomadic Writer. Partly to catch up, partly reminisce, partly make amends.

I'm happy to discuss to some degree in public view but will most likely want some private chat. Whether you regarded me a friend, for or bigmouth, hit me up x

Last edited:

Maryn

Sees All
Staff member
Super Moderator
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Imagine, if you will, that big scene from Spartacus, the Kirk Douglas movie, when the Romans are searching for the leader of the slave revolt, and all the slaves stand up. Their leader knows they're going to give him up and braces himself for it. One shouts, "I'm Spartacus!" Then another one shouts, "No, I'm Spartacus!" And in an instant they're all claiming to be Spartacus, and the real Spartacus is moved to tears...

Well, this is nothing like that. I was Speed of Late at IMDb's Shop Talk Writers board. I attempted to snag other refugees here, with little success. Nomadic Writer is not here, but I see her at Twitter. Bob Saenz, too. A few of the old regulars came by once in a while, but I don't think any stayed to make use of AbsoluteWrite and what it has to offer people who write scripts.

Under what name did I once know you?

Maryn, whose real name isn't that

Maryn

Sees All
Staff member
Super Moderator
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Ten days slip past... Be aware I'll be away the remainder of the week, so if you finally return, I won't reply so quickly.

Miss_Vix

Registered
Reaction score
Hey, sorry for the delay. Over here we've had a bank holiday and I was away on holiday for the past week. I was the one known as Nemesis Rogue. Often caught up in heated debates that I thought simultaneously defended against the trolls and entertained the masses with my cutting wit, argument and debate. Alas I was wrong on both fronts. Mucho has changed from my end on a personal level, which I mentioned in that final STW thread before it got derailed by the usual suspects.

Maryn

Sees All
Staff member
Super Moderator
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Being trans? Cool with me. I have a trans daughter and a handful of online trans friends, some of them here. Look around and you’ll find them.

Nice to see a familiar face.

Maryn, in a hotel

Miss_Vix

Registered
Reaction score
Yep, that was it. A trans daughter? wow! And some here? I never expected that. Nice to see you, too. Enjoy your hotel :)

Maryn

Sees All
Staff member
Super Moderator
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
(For what that hotel costs, I had to!)

I'm sure you don't need to be led around by the nicely-manicured (or not) hand here, but our trans folks here are not hard to find. Some of my favorites I don't see as much as I used to, but there are others. Stop by and introduce yourself at QUILTBAG, if you like. You can use my name if you like. After all, we've known each other online for a good long while.

Our daughter is nine kinds of alternate lifestyle, but all that matter is we love her no matter what. Way too many trans people (several of whom she lives with) are cut off by their families, both financially and emotionally, and IMO that's horrific. I hope your people realize you're still you.

Maryn, still herself

Maryn

Sees All
Staff member
Super Moderator
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Thank you, ajaye. I'm going to use that link the next time one of those comes up.

Nether

has been brought to a creepy mansion in a cemetery
Registered
Reaction score
Very late to the party, but IMDB's forums were generally good when getting details (an fan-theory explanations) for less-popular movies. All of the trolling seemed to be reserved for the big boards, with places like the Alien 3 board feeling like warzones. When it comes to the popular films -- which have tons of support -- I don't miss them one bit, but losing them on those smaller films was a tragedy.

I never checked out any of the boards not associated with a movie, and I'm not sure I knew they existed.

Maryn

Sees All
Staff member
Super Moderator
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Compared to their "big" board about popular movies, the others were smaller and moved far more slowly. Books was excellent and I got quite a few recommendations there, as well as interacting with kindred souls. Shop Talk Writers had about equal numbers of people trying to help one another and trolls or mischief makers, lots of sockpuppets.

What I miss the most is the boards that identified a movie based on some little snippet you remember. You can find it with digging if you remember the actor, but if you can't, it's nearly impossible.

Oh, and I miss shared lists of movies, whether it was weird (movies with someone wearing a rabbit suit) or ordinary (popular Fourth of July movies, favorite John Wayne movies).

Nether

has been brought to a creepy mansion in a cemetery
Registered
Reaction score
What I miss the most is the boards that identified a movie based on some little snippet you remember. You can find it with digging if you remember the actor, but if you can't, it's nearly impossible.

I wish I knew that existed =x

Trying to find something by randomly googling search terms is unbelievably annoying.