Breaking "the rules" (Sonnets)

kwanzaabot

Registered
Reaction score
So, I've had my heart set on including a Shakespearean-style sonnet in my fantasy novel, as a way of introducing the reader to the world's mythology and backstory without doing an outright info dump.
I'm neither Shakespeare nor Tolkien, so I make no guarantees about it being good, but I'm enjoying writing it, and I feel that sonnets are short enough that I can include a song-like bit of prose without losing the reader's attention (although maybe I'm wrong about that).

My problem is the rhyming scheme.

Every resource I've seen on the subject says Shakespearean sonnets should be:
a b a b
c d c d
e f e f
g g

While, Italian sonnets are:
a b b a
a b b a
And so on.

However, my sonnet (so far) is:
a b b a
c c d d

With the remaining lines yet to be written.

Clearly, this is not a sonnet. At least not one that follows the rules.
I don't know what the hell this is. Can alternate rhyme schemes exist in sonnet form? Is there room for experimentation?

Or should I just call this its own thing and not worry so much?

Ambrosia

Grand Duchess
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Hi, Kwanzaabot...

Perhaps this will help. experi-MENTAL Sonnet Engineering

Kie (kborsden) has a lot about sonnets and formal poetry scattered throughout the poetry section. We have a couple other formalists that stop by from time to time, but Kie did a lot of experimenting with form. He encouraged me to write my first sonnet and it turned out to be a "Shakespearean rhyme scheme imposed on a Petrarchan structure", but it was still a sonnet.

But, given your use of it, if it turns out to be a quatorzain instead of a sonnet, does it matter? My two cents? You are overthinking it.

As far as whether it is good or not, remember you have the poetry critique forum here if you want to workshop it. We usually don't bite. :greenie

kuwisdelu

Revolutionize the World
Registered
Reaction score
You can stray pretty far from the well-known sonnet forms and still call it a sonnet.

I've written sonnets in tetrameter, hexameter, with non-standard rhyme schemes, with inverted structures, etc.

When you stray from a form, though, it will be noted, so it helps to do so knowingly, willfully, and with significance.

As always, it typically helps to play within the "rules" before deciding to break them.

AW Admin

Administrator
Registered
Reaction score
Clearly, this is not a sonnet. At least not one that follows the rules.
I don't know what the hell this is. Can alternate rhyme schemes exist in sonnet form? Is there room for experimentation?

Or should I just call this its own thing and not worry so much?

1. Sonnets don't even all have 14 lines; there are early examples with less.
2. Shakespeare's own sonnets do all use the gg closing rhyme, but the meters vary. He has a thing for sticking in an Alexandrine, for instance.
3. There are lots of sonnets who have non-iambic pentameter lines, and a number that are written in other meters throughout; most often Alexandrines, but others, too.
4. You might have an easier time if you follow the structural patterns (the plot, if you will) of a typical Shakespearean sonnet; three quatrains, and couplet offering a resolution or comment on the previous quatrains.
5. Look at the earlier less "polished" sonnets of Surrey and Wyatt.

JulianneQJohnson

Ferret Herder
Registered
Reaction score
Website
julianneqjohnson.com
Is it important to you that it be an "official" form of sonnet? If that is important for any reason, then change the form to one of the classic types. If it's not important and you are happy with the poem as it stands, call it a poem, and don't worry about what specific type it might be.

kwanzaabot

Registered
Reaction score
Hi, Kwanzaabot...

Perhaps this will help. experi-MENTAL Sonnet Engineering

Kie (kborsden) has a lot about sonnets and formal poetry scattered throughout the poetry section. We have a couple other formalists that stop by from time to time, but Kie did a lot of experimenting with form. He encouraged me to write my first sonnet and it turned out to be a "Shakespearean rhyme scheme imposed on a Petrarchan structure", but it was still a sonnet.

But, given your use of it, if it turns out to be a quatorzain instead of a sonnet, does it matter? My two cents? You are overthinking it.

As far as whether it is good or not, remember you have the poetry critique forum here if you want to workshop it. We usually don't bite. :greenie

Thanks for the advice, everyone, I've posted it in the critique forum.
I'm not totally happy with it, but it's only a first draft, really. There's always room for improvement!