Alessandra Kelley

Sophipygian
Staff member
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.alessandrakelley.com
These are not mutually exclusive.

But I do think distraction is part of the motivation. Political sleight-of-hand.

I think so. Throwing up a cloud of nonsense has long been a strategy of the dishonest and ill-intentioned (see "Gish Galloping").

The president has a long history of saying untruths and relying on his wealth and power to bulldoze anyone who dissents. He also has a history of baldfaced lies to keep people off balance while he cheats them in business deals.

The people at the top of the administration seem to have a collective history of trying to define and control reality.

They don't need to be particularly clever or organized or forethoughtful They just need to be doing what they've been doing all along.

Alessandra Kelley

Sophipygian
Staff member
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.alessandrakelley.com
Trump has been lashing out on Twitter since early this morning, claiming protesters are being paid (imagine! our PRESIDENT is making such a claim, not a rando conspiracy theorist!)

Vladimir Putin calls Russia's protesters 'paid agents of the west'

I think it is important to point out how very important it is to Trump and Putin that protesters shut up and go away.

All the more reason to exercise one's Constitutional rights to assembly and petition and redress of grievance.

Last edited:

kaitie

With great power comes
Registered
Reaction score
I think it is important to point out how very important it is to Trump and Putin that protesters shut up and go away.

All the more reason to exercise one's Constitutional rights to assembly and petition and redress of grievance.

Isn't Trump also tweeting this morning that the protestors are paid?

ElaineA

All about that action, boss.
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.reneedominick.com

The March for Science is ON for Earth Day, April 22. As with the Women's March, these will be worldwide. Keep an eye out for your city's event.

kaitie

With great power comes
Registered
Reaction score
The March for Science is ON for Earth Day, April 22. As with the Women's March, these will be worldwide. Keep an eye out for your city's event.

Sweet! :D

KTC

Stand in the Place Where You Live
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Website
ktcraig.com

Definitely hoping to attend the next marches in my city. I missed the women's march here. I'm trying to hear of any marches and book around them rather than 'go if I can make it'. I feel they're priority.

I won't be attending any marches on American soil, as I have sworn myself off American soil while IT is in the White House. Hell, as it is...whenever I fly, I demand they lop off the right wing prior to my putting my ass on the plane. I need not the right wing in order to fly. If anything, it impedes flight.

MaeZe

Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
I don't understand why Chris Matthews doesn't even question her "Bowling Green Massacre" claim.

Also, I could swear she says "protecting American Americans" at 3:58.

Worse he ended the piece complimenting her on her counter arguments.

Conway walked her fake facts back this morning claiming she misspoke, not misspoke in that she had her facts wrong, but misspoke in that she meant something else. The press being all over her lie had an effect.

Spicer half corrected his outrageous statement when called on it by a member of the press corp:
Press Secretary Sean Spicer Falsely Accuses Iran of Attacking U.S. Navy Vessel, an Act of War
Major Garrett of CBS News quietly corrected him, saying “a Saudi vessel,” and Spicer then responded almost inaudibly: “Sorry, thank you, yes a Saudi vessel. Yes, that’s right.” He did not in any way address his false claim that it was an Iranian attack, however.

Last edited:

Lyv

I meant to do that.
Registered
Reaction score
Planning to be at the Science March in Boston (possibly in a brain hat).

My friends and I have talking about the effort to paint all protesters/marches as thugs or paid protesters (Trump tweeted that again today) and those who normally don't make political posts on social media are posting comments and photos of themselves attending marches. It might make it a little harder for some to believe that we're all just doing it for a paycheck (which is such an idiotic idea, but still).

I post whenever I march, but I'm also making social media noise about just how punishing it for me, with significant physically challenges, to be out there and that no one could pay me enough money to do hurt myself that much.

Since the Bowling Green comment was meant to defend the Muslim ban, I'll put a link to the ACLU Massachusetts Twitter feed. They're in court this morning fighting to defend the court order blocking Trump's EO.

KTC

Stand in the Place Where You Live
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Website
ktcraig.com
Definitely hoping to attend the next marches in my city. I missed the women's march here. I'm trying to hear of any marches and book around them rather than 'go if I can make it'. I feel they're priority.

I won't be attending any marches on American soil, as I have sworn myself off American soil while IT is in the White House. Hell, as it is...whenever I fly, I demand they lop off the right wing prior to my putting my ass on the plane. I need not the right wing in order to fly. If anything, it impedes flight.

AND minutes after I typed that I received an email:

JOIN US IN TORONTO ON FEB 4, AT 12:30PM AT THE U.S. CONSULATE FOR A MARCH AGAINST ISLAMOPHOBIA, WHITE SUPREMACY & DEPORTATIONS.

Damn. I'm away in Niagara Falls this weekend. I'll have to miss this one too. Going to see if I can push back the Niagara Falls thing an hour or two...ANYONE IN TORONTO WHO WANTS TO ATTEND THIS, THE ADDRESS IS:

360 University Ave, Toronto, ON M5G 1S4

ElaineA

Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.reneedominick.com
Seattle's got an Awesome icon for the March for Science. Might have to get that shirt. :)

kMa-pAIK_400x400.jpg

ETA: If you google (or search Twitter) March for Science + your city name you can see if there's already an organization in place

Last edited:

Perks

delicate #!&@*#! flower
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.jamie-mason.com
So Conway now says that she made a mistake and misspoke. She meant to say 'Bowling Green terrorists' instead of 'The Bowling Green Massacre'. How exactly do you make a mistake that involves spontaneously inventing a tabloid/history book event title on the spot?

I'm going to write an ode to the neglected event of the Sacking of Brevard. I'm sorry. I meant to say, the tailgate party at Brevard high last Friday night. I mean, it got pretty wild.

tiggs

Registered
Reaction score
So Conway now says that she made a mistake and misspoke. She meant to say 'Bowling Green terrorists' instead of 'The Bowling Green Massacre'. How exactly do you make a mistake that involves spontaneously inventing a tabloid/history book event title on the spot?

I'd guess:

1. It was a deliberate prior fabrication, hoping that no-one in the media would notice.
2. It was a deliberate prior fabrication, not caring that the media would notice, as long as she won that cycle.
3. She only skimmed the talking points prior to the interview.
4. Whoever constructed her talking points got it wrong.
5. She flubbed it, in the heat of a tv interview.
6. She exaggerated it in the heat of a tv interview, to help win her case.

And there's bound to be more possibilities.

I'm afraid, at this stage, I have no idea which of those is more likely.

MaeZe

Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
I'd guess:

1. It was a deliberate prior fabrication, hoping that no-one in the media would notice.
2. It was a deliberate prior fabrication, not caring that the media would notice, as long as she won that cycle.
3. She only skimmed the talking points prior to the interview.
4. Whoever constructed her talking points got it wrong.
5. She flubbed it, in the heat of a tv interview.
6. She exaggerated it in the heat of a tv interview, to help win her case.

And there's bound to be more possibilities.

I'm afraid, at this stage, I have no idea which of those is more likely.

Number 4 sounds about right, with 3 also a contender.

I'll add #7: She got her facts from Breitbart.

ElaineA

Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.reneedominick.com

MaeZe

Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Seattle's got an Awesome icon for the March for Science. Might have to get that shirt. :)

kMa-pAIK_400x400.jpg

ETA: If you google (or search Twitter) March for Science + your city name you can see if there's already an organization in place

There are some clever science shirts on Etsy* (*not promoting the sellers).

Last edited:

cbenoi1

Banned
Reaction score
So:

1) Literally insane (unable to tell reality from fantasy), or
2) Sending minions to say bizarre things in order to distract us from what they're really up to?

3) Those are intended leaks by those close to Trump to show how crazy is the guy and meant to be a cry for help.

-cb

Twick

Registered
Reaction score

I think it was a mistake, but a telling, rather Freudian, one. Her subconscious said, as it assembled the sentence, "Ooh, I'm saying something about radicalized Islamic immigrants. There's something about bombs. That must mean Americans died horribly. Ok, I have the words "Bowling Green" ready to speak ... now add "massacre". Nailed it!"

JCornelius

Banned
Reaction score
I still say it's conscious Bannon-style tactics which lead to people believing in underground pedophile catacombs beneath Clinton's volcano lair, even when the origin of the story later says "I misspoke".
It's information flow pollution and truth-dilution as overall strategy. They believe this is poetic justice against the decadent postmodern lefties: "So there's no truth is there? So it's all socio-political constructs, is it? Fine, let's see how you like it when we hoist you by your own petards!"
For decades they sulked, they seethed, the analyzed, they schemed. And the anger and determination didn't go away.

Chris P

Likes metaphors mixed, not stirred
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score

I saw that! I'm stoked. I signed up to volunteer at the DC event, but reading between the lines they seem to have lots of help already. I'm still going to offer, though.

Isn't Trump also tweeting this morning that the protestors are paid?

Where's my check then?

As to the OP, CNN is reporting that Conway later clarified that she was referring to two Bowling Green, KY men with refugee status who came to the US in 2009 and were arrested in 2011 on terrorism charges for trying to get weapons to Al Qaeda in Iraq. There was of course no massacre, and no shooting. So, at least she has some claim to being confused and using the wrong words. But words mean things and at this level of public scrutinty "woopsie" doesn't cut it for me.

Last edited:

Cmalone

Registered
Reaction score

A national general strike against Trump is being planned for February 17, too, the day before President's Day. Here's their website. There's some big local peaceful protesting plans for that day in a nearby city and I'm trying to figure out how to get myself there to attend.

A friend and I are also making tentative plans to attend the March for Science. It sounds like local plans are being made for a sister march (the turnout for the Women's March in the same area was much larger than expected), so if they also do one for the Science March, we'll be there.