Vladimir Putin Finally Gets His Man

rugcat

Lost in the Fog
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.jlevitt.com
A Russian opposition politician and well-known Kremlin critic is in intensive care following organ failure in a sudden illness, two years after suffering a suspected poisoning, supporters said.

Vladimir Kara-Murza was on a ventilator and undergoing renal dialysis and other intensive care procedures, lawyer Vadim Prokhorov wrote on Facebook late on Thursday. Kara-Murza was in a critical state, he said.

The 35-year-old was an ally of the late opposition politician Boris Nemtsov, who was shot dead close to the Kremlin in 2015. Until last year he was deputy chair of the Parnas liberal party led by former prime minister turned Kremlin critic Mikhail Kasyanov.

Two years ago, opposition leader Boris Nemtsov was gunned down in the street in a targeted attack a mere 100 yards from the Kremlin. He was perhaps the only serious opposition that Vladimir Putin had at the time.

Then, his second-in-command, Vladimir Kara-Murza, who carried on the torch so to speak, was mysteriously poisoned. He was given little chance to survive, but the US, with help from the UK, managed to get him out of Russia and to the United States, where he recovered despite his grim prognosis.

He then returned to Russia, continuing his opposition work, but collapsed today and was taken to the hospital where he is in critical condition. Perhaps it was just a relapse. But it sure sounds like the same poisoning as before.

As Donald Trump cozies up to Vladimir Putin it's good to remember that Putin is not just a right wing autocrat -- he's the head of a kleptocracy. that has made him billions, and he keeps his hand firmly on the reins of power by jailing or assassinating anyone who dares to stand up to him.

He's a bad dude, to use the words a certain president likes to employ.

Of course, our new secretary of state, Putin's good friend Rex Tillerson will no doubt have something to say about this.

Last edited:

MaeZe

Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
... Of course, our new secretary of state, Putin's good friend Rex Tillerson will no doubt have something to say about this.
Rachel Maddow pointed out tonight it was the effort of the Sec of State that got him out of Russia after the first poisoning. It took him weeks in the hospital and even longer in rehab to recover. I can't see him surviving this time between Putin wanting to get the job done and Trump/Tillerson being buds with Putin.

JCornelius

Banned
Reaction score
/.../

He's a bad dude, to use the words a certain president likes to employ.

Of course, our new secretary of state, Putin's good friend Rex Tillerson will no doubt have something to say about this.

A "bad hombre" in fact... Who creates "carnage" and stuff.

KTC

Stand in the Place Where You Live
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Website
ktcraig.com
Lesson?

We should not go against our Supreme Leaders' wishes. Get in line!

Lyv

I meant to do that.
Registered
Reaction score
I think I'll just drop this here without comment:
In an interview with Fox News's Bill O'Reilly, which will air ahead of the Super Bowl on Sunday, Trump doubled down on his “respect” for Putin — even in the face of accusations that Putin and his associates have been accused of murdering journalists and dissidents in Russia.

“I do respect him. Well, I respect a lot of people, but that doesn’t mean I’ll get along with them,” Trump told O'Reilly.

O'Reilly pressed on, declaring to the president that “Putin is a killer.”

Unfazed, Trump didn't back away and compared Putin's reputation for extrajudicial killings to the United States's.“There are a lot of killers. We have a lot of killers,” Trump said. “Well, you think our country is so innocent?”

Last edited:

blacbird

Registered
Reaction score
“I do respect him. Well, I respect a lot of people, but that doesn’t mean I’ll get along with them,” Trump told O'Reilly.

What in . . . (some word worse than anything I can think of) . . . does that mean?

Donald Trump's mouth is entirely disconnected from his brain, which itself is entirely disconnected from reality.

caw

ElaineA

All about that action, boss.
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.reneedominick.com
Donald Trump's mouth is entirely disconnected from his brain

caw

Unfortunately, I think you're wrong there. His brain and mouth are intimately connected, which makes all of this that much more dangerous. Whatever Bannon whispers into Trump's ear goes into the brain and filters through to the mouth.

Last edited:

DancingMaenid

New kid...seven years ago!
Registered
Reaction score
What in . . . (some word worse than anything I can think of) . . . does that mean?

In a way, I feel like it's an illustration with what's wrong with Trump's approach to international relations.

Part of a president's job is, in fact, to "get along" with people. Diplomatically speaking, it's important to be able to interact professionally with foreign leaders. But that doesn't mean that foreign leaders are always worthy of respect or that they shouldn't be criticized.

A good president would be critical of Putin and his tactics but still "get along" with him in the sense of being reasonably professional.

But Trump has no sense of this. He's only motivated by his own ego and desire for power. If a foreign leader doesn't go along with what he wants, even if it's petty, he's rude. If a foreign leader is genuinely terrible but serves Trump's best interests in some way, then Trump "respects" them.