Rugby - RBS Six Nations 2017

Status
Not open for further replies.

talktidy

Registered
Reaction score
Anyone going to be following?

My late partner and I would watch together, until Wales did something stupid and I would go off in a magnificent sulk.

Bacchus

Registered
Reaction score
My late partner and I would watch together, until Wales did something stupid and I would go off in a magnificent sulk.

You didn't watch for long then :poke:

I only live a 12 minute train ride from Twickenham but the tickets are way out of my price range these days so will have to content myself with watching in public houses.

Bacchus minimus is the world's biggest rugby fan (F1 fan, rowing fan, athletics fan, football fan, stick-insect racing fan...if only he concentrated so hard at Uni!) so will shift a few beers with him over a game or two.

I guess England are favourites but Ireland are in with a good shout and there are certainly no pushovers in the tournament - should be a good one!

Bacchus

Registered
Reaction score
I should be watching. I have fond memories of watching Wales with Mam in the 70s when JPR and JJ were in the pack.

Wow, those were the days!

That was when I started playing schoolboy rugby

**sighs nostalgically**

talktidy

Registered
Reaction score
You didn't watch for long then :poke:

I only live a 12 minute train ride from Twickenham but the tickets are way out of my price range these days so will have to content myself with watching in public houses.

Bacchus minimus is the world's biggest rugby fan (F1 fan, rowing fan, athletics fan, football fan, stick-insect racing fan...if only he concentrated so hard at Uni!) so will shift a few beers with him over a game or two.

I guess England are favourites but Ireland are in with a good shout and there are certainly no pushovers in the tournament - should be a good one!

Now, now. I might remind you of the way that Wales dismantled England in their own backyard in the World Cup, but, of course, that led to England bringing in Eddie Jones, who is an awesome coach.

Hope we see some awesome games.

I was still in school back when Edwards and JJ were in their pomp.

Helix

socially distancing
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Website
snailseyeview.medium.com
Now, now. I might remind you of the way that Wales dismantled England in their own backyard in the World Cup, but, of course, that led to England bringing in Eddie Jones, who is an awesome coach.

Australia is, of course, not at all bitter that England under Jones have won all their games against the Wallabies. (Where Australia = me.)

Hope we see some awesome games.

I was still in school back when Edwards and JJ were in their pomp.

Me, too. Those were the first games I watched and they were a hell of an introduction to rugby.

Bacchus

Registered
Reaction score
First rule of the rugby world cup... the English don't talk about the rugby world cup... (except 2003, we talk about that one a lot...)

One of the things I love about rugby; I remember going to my first ever international (England v Scotland the second year of the six nations). My father and brother were big association football fans so I had been to loads of soccer matches including a league cup final which were very heavily policed. At Twickenham I could count just nine policemen in the 70,000 crowd - and they were all watching the match!!

Looking forward to Romania joining and making seven nations. I don't think that's a thing but the only world cup match I watched live in '15 was Romania vs Italy which was a very entertaining game. Anyway the Romanians deserve a crack at revenge for the rather controversial Timisoara vs Stade Francais cup "game" a couple of weeks ago (c:

[edit] - another great rugby memory that I want to share on this thread... a girlfriend of mine in the 90s was very proud of herself when she managed to get a 12" LP of Die Walkure from a charity shop for a penny. I was at home with a couple of friends watching a 5N game, can't remember which, when she came home and stuck it on the record player (remember those) just in time for Rory Underwood to run a huge touchline try accompanied by the opening bars of "ride of the valkyries", the timing was impeccable. [/edit]

Last edited:

talktidy

Registered
Reaction score
My mother hasn't been well, so it's only now I have had a chance to look at the fixtures.

Sco v Ire to start -- [rubs hands with anticipation]. Eng have a home game against Fra and Wal are away to Ita. Hmm. Be interesting to see which French team turns out. They are either woeful or wonderful.

neandermagnon

Nolite timere, consilium callidum habeo!
Registered
Reaction score
Yay :greenie rugby :greenie

Naturally I'm supporting England.

I have an Italian colleague at work. I mentioned that England beat Italy, but he didn't know Italy even had a rugby team lol. Well I guess that's the best way to handle all your English colleagues trying to rib you over losing... deny all knowledge. "Rugby team? What rugby team?" LOL

Status
Not open for further replies.