Panicking about publication and pissing off publishers

Zombie Kat

Bacteria are your friends
Registered
Reaction score
Website
ilovebacteria.com
I’ve got a non-fiction book coming out this summer. After I submitted it to the publishers I thought they’d come back and say it’s awful and I need to make loads of changes. Instead, they said ‘yeah fine’ and sent it off to the copy editor. I freaked out as it was suddenly a real book that I alone was responsible for and it was going to published as it was!

So I suddenly find myself at the first proof stage, and I’ve made far more changes than I should have just because I don’t want it to be rubbish. Nothing major but it all adds up to more work for the publishers and I’m not sure how they will take it (they know there are going to be quite a few changes but the red pen on the pages may still come as a shock…). I am hoping they won’t want me to foot the bill but we will see.

Anyway, I guess what I am asking is whether this sort of author madness is something they deal with regularly or if I’ve broken a cardinal-rule? I hate the idea that they think I am the most unprofessional debut author who has ever lived but on the other hand I want the book to be good more than I want them to like me. I know the proof stage should be correcting minor errors, not cutting/adding whole sentences because I am losing my mind with terror that it's just not good enough.

So, has anyone else freaked out completely upon realising their book is about to be published and made an idiot of themselves in front of their publisher? In my entire pre-writing career, I never had an emotional breakdown over my work like this!

lizmonster

Possibly A Mermaid Queen
Absolute Sage
Registered
Reaction score
Website
elizabethbonesteel.com
I write fiction, but I have stories, both my own and those I've heard, of significant changes at very late stages. Best avoided? Sure. But everybody involved wants the book to be at its best when it goes out. IME they are professionals, and they assume you are a professional doing what is best for the work you are all hoping to profit from.

I am hoping they won’t want me to foot the bill but we will see.

This makes me wonder about your publisher, though. You shouldn't be paying for stuff like this. (Worst case, they might say "Sorry, it's too late for us to incorporate changes this significant.") Is there something in your contract about you paying for edits under certain circumstances? (Is this typical for NF?)

Zombie Kat

Registered
Reaction score
Website
ilovebacteria.com
I just read something about some people having a clause in their contract about paying if they want to incorporate changes at a late stage, I will have to check mine to make sure but don't think I do. They're a reputable publisher, though and I'm not paying for anything. Which I suppose is why I am finding it hard to get my head around - so much money is being spent on an unproven author!

Thanks for your reply, makes me feel a bit better.

Last edited:

mrsmig

Write. Write. Writey Write Write.
Staff member
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
I had a similar reaction when I got the first round of edits from my editor, and asked if it would be okay if I made some tweaks. She said the manuscript was in such good shape that we were ahead of the game, and to do as I felt best. She liked the majority of my changes (they actually tightened the prose up quite a bit) and incorporated them into her second round of edits.

Talk to your editor. Let her/him know the scope of your changes, and see if they're okay with that.

lizmonster

Possibly A Mermaid Queen
Absolute Sage
Registered
Reaction score
Website
elizabethbonesteel.com
I just read something about some people having a clause in their contract about paying if they want to incorporate changes at a late stage, I will have to check mine to make sure but don't think I do. They're a reputable publisher, though and I'm not paying for anything. Which I suppose is why I am finding it hard to get my head around - so much money is being spent on an unproven author!

:) Publishers have some expertise in finding books that will make them money, and I suspect even in the non-fiction world they love being the one to "discover" someone new. Also, yours is not the only book that their people are working on, so your sales are not expected to cover the salaries of their staff.

That said, do check your contract if you're worried about being charged, and ask your agent/editor/contact person if it seems vague or unspecified. This is a business transaction after all, and if something isn't clear to you, you've a right to ask.

Old Hack

Such a nasty woman
Super Moderator
Absolute Sage
Registered
Reaction score
I’ve got a non-fiction book coming out this summer. After I submitted it to the publishers I thought they’d come back and say it’s awful and I need to make loads of changes. Instead, they said ‘yeah fine’ and sent it off to the copy editor. I freaked out as it was suddenly a real book that I alone was responsible for and it was going to published as it was!

So I suddenly find myself at the first proof stage, and I’ve made far more changes than I should have just because I don’t want it to be rubbish. Nothing major but it all adds up to more work for the publishers and I’m not sure how they will take it (they know there are going to be quite a few changes but the red pen on the pages may still come as a shock…). I am hoping they won’t want me to foot the bill but we will see.

If you're at proof stage they will probably only be expecting very minor changes. You said they sent your book off to a copy editor first: did your book have a structural edit first? and did you make many changes at either of those editing stages?

I ask because you might well have been asked to sign off each edit in some way, so the changes you've made at proof might well come as a bit of a surprise to your publishers.

Anyway, I guess what I am asking is whether this sort of author madness is something they deal with regularly or if I’ve broken a cardinal-rule? I hate the idea that they think I am the most unprofessional debut author who has ever lived but on the other hand I want the book to be good more than I want them to like me. I know the proof stage should be correcting minor errors, not cutting/adding whole sentences because I am losing my mind with terror that it's just not good enough.

So, has anyone else freaked out completely upon realising their book is about to be published and made an idiot of themselves in front of their publisher? In my entire pre-writing career, I never had an emotional breakdown over my work like this!

You're not making an idiot of yourself.

As an editor, I've seen some writers do this but it usually only happens when they haven't been talked through the editing stages properly,or have been rushed through them in some way.

Yep, that sort of clause happens.

You need to do two things.

Check your contract and see if it has a clause in it which would make you liable for payments at this stage.

Speak to your agent if you have one and if not, your editor, tell them how you feel, and ask their advice.

If you'd PM me the name of your publisher (in confidence, of course) I'll let you know if I know of any peculiar dealings in their past.

Zombie Kat

Registered
Reaction score
Website
ilovebacteria.com
Thanks, Old Hack! They did talk me through each stage but it just threw me a bit as they didn't want to make any changes at all. So it went from me submitting the manuscript to copy editing within a few weeks and that was it. No edits. So I freaked out that I needed to make it better all by myself.

They know there are changes coming and have been cool with it all so far. I just worry that behind the scenes they're like, 'she's a fucking nightmare'! They're a big publisher, at least if you like books about boy wizards. I have no doubts about their professionalism, it's me that is that problem.

Cobalt Jade

Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
I did something stupid. I sent off a story and forgot to include my email in the doc file. This means that if my story is printed out and passed around, no one will know how to contact me. Did I just shoot myself in the foot? Or do editors save email submissions and refer back to them?

Old Hack

Such a nasty woman
Super Moderator
Absolute Sage
Registered
Reaction score
It's not likely your story will be printed out. I think you're probably fine.

Cobalt Jade

Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Thanks. I was really worried. Anyone else have experience with this?