Status
Not open for further replies.

ElaineA

All about that action, boss.
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.reneedominick.com
I wasn't sure if this was better suited in the Publishing Forum, but since it's about ebook numbers and romance, I thought I'd start it here. Please move if it's more appropriate elsewhere.

I am going over my first standalone book contract (for an erotic romance novella) and the one item I'm having trouble pinning down by research is the numbers on the escalator clause for digital copies. (Not that I expect to reach them, but I'd just like to make sure I understand the numbers.)

Ebook royalties bump up at 50,000 net copies sold. The number in the paperback clause is 10,000, which, from what I've been able to gather, is in the zone (maybe on the high side, but in) of making USAT or NYT--not Amazon--bestseller status. (I understand "bestseller" numbers are nebulous at best. I'm relying here on various author experiences, not all of them romance authors.) So for e-books, does that 50,000 number seem about the equivalent of "bestseller" level for ebooks? Or, for those who have signed contracts, is that escalator number within industry-standard?

Thanks for any insight anyone can offer.

Deb Kinnard

Banned
Flounced
Reaction score
Website
www.debkinnard.com
No firm answers for you, but you might check out recent news that the NYT is discontinuing bestsellers in the genre-mass-market area. This is a huge disappointment for many who write MMPB. You didn't state whether your print version is MM or TPB.

ElaineA

Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.reneedominick.com
Yeah, I saw that news last week. Doesn't apply to my situation, but it's extremely disappointing.

My print version is Nothing at the moment, and might never be. :) I just received the contract and I'm trying to understand all the numbers to make sure they are within industry standard, specifically the ebook 50,000-copy number, which seems like a lot, but I don't know. I suspect the numbers are within standard range, I just wanted to get some feedback yea or nay.

Old Hack

Such a nasty woman
Super Moderator
Absolute Sage
Registered
Reaction score
I assume you don't have an agent to help you out here but if you do, ask her.

If you don't, ask the publisher what their average sales are, and how many of their books sell enough copies to trigger this escalator clause. Because if the break-point is 50,000 copies but their books sell an average of 5,000, and their biggest-ever seller only sold 20,000, then the industry average doesn't matter: your book isn't likely to hit the escalator level.

What you want is an escalator clause which is triggered at a point which your book has a reasonable to good chance of reaching.

ElaineA

Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.reneedominick.com
What you want is an escalator clause which is triggered at a point which your book has a reasonable to good chance of reaching.

You're correct, OH, I don't have an agent. This bit was my thought as well, but I worried I might be off-base. Thank you so very much for the suggested questions. That's exactly what I needed and what I'll do.

NineLimes

Registered
Reaction score
With one of my Big 5 publishers, the escalator clause was 10k ebook sales. I don't remember off the top of my head if there was one for print. I thought 10k was reasonable, plus they told my agent the percentage of authors that made that before we agreed. 50k does... not seem as reasonable, but you do what you have to do, right?

ElaineA

Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.reneedominick.com
Thank you, NineLimes and WhirlyGirly (great user names, both!) for stopping by, and for the encouragement. :)

Interesting question, Dennis. There was no mention of Audio numbers with respect to the escalator. Because this is a novella, I don't anticipate there being an audio deal, but I'll definitely ask about how those numbers play into total sales numbers. Audio rights are listed separately, as a subsidiary right, so I don't know if they're counted separately. Great seed to plant, though. I don't have a lot of--well, any--clout to negotiate much, but someday I might have more and this will be on my list of Things to Discuss. Thanks so much for posing it.

CEtchison

Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.cheryletchison.com
In the offers I received from Avon Impulse, Intermix, Loveswept and Kensington, Avon was the only one with an escalating e-book royalty rate. The others were set on both e-book and print (if applicable) royalties.

50K sounds really high to me, but the difference might be the fact it's a novella. The series I sold is for novels of 80K+ words.

Status
Not open for further replies.