Need Feedback on Composition and/or General Badness

slhuang

Inappropriately math-oriented.
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.slhuang.com
I like the skelewhale MUCH better the first way you had it (unflipped, going opposite the text).

But that doesn't matter because NUMBER FOUR IS MY FAVORITE BY FAR NOW EEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEE

*jumps up and down in enthusiasm*

ElaineA

All about that action, boss.
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.reneedominick.com
I don't think you could go wrong with either one. They're both striking.

I do like the skeleton in this position better, but as I've told you, I have a tendency toward an aesthetic where things are in nice alignment. I just think it fits in the space better this way, and I like how the fin overlaps the D's without obscuring them.

be frank

not a bloke, not named frank
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.lanifrank.com
I like the skelewhale MUCH better the first way you had it (unflipped, going opposite the text).

See, I like the newly flipped version better, because I think the divergence of the "fist" part of "Hammerfist" and the skelewhale's tail gives just the right amount of opposition between graphic and text (as opposed to having the whole graphic in opposition). I also think the flipper interferes less this way.

Then again, it's almost 1.30 a.m. here, so take that with salt. :D

Last edited:

onesecondglance

pretending to be awake
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Website
soundcloud.com
Original skelewhale for me, mainly because the heart (which is essential to making the image work for me) seems to be almost in the way of the lettering on the flipped version. There's more space for it on the original version (whale pointing right), so it appears less crowded and more deliberate.

The picture of the protagonists is cute, but not having read the book it has less impact for me than the whale.

Toothpaste

THE RECKLESS RESCUE is out now!
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.adriennekress.com
The whale. By far the whale. As someone who has no idea what your book is about the other image is unreadable, I have no idea what the two thingys are. The whale on the other hand is totally visually easy to understand and the little heart adds a layer of absurdity and humour that excites me.

Please do the whale, please. The other one . . . well the other one doesn't work at all for me.

L. Y.

Thread surfer and virtual bartender
Registered
Reaction score
2) Modified Silhouettes

loversilhouettes2ensmallened_zpsvy93sssa.jpg
I really like this one, Buz. It gives me an idea of what to expect from the novel.

The only thing that bothers me is the image touching the font. I have no real idea why, though.

Tazlima

Registered
Reaction score
I have no expertise in these things and know nothing about the story, but I love both of these. I think, based purely on the cover image, I'd be slightly more likely to purchase the one with the mouse and the ... I'm guessing that's Hammerfist? I dunno, but I want to read it.

PastyAlien

Space butthole
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Website
helfrich.ca
This is a gorgeous cover. GORGEOUS. The font is a thing of beauty (although I agree with the N H confusion on "Numo").

The juxtaposition of skelewhale and the heart (which is the name of my next rock band, BTW): LOVE. They're so crazy together, and yet perfectly suited (although I do prefer the original orientation). So that one gets my vote, big time.

I would not only pick up this book, based on its cover, but I would fight others for it, were there a shortage. It says to me that I should expect something unique and wonderful and otherworldly. I can't wait to see this on my bookshelf.

buz

edits all posts at least four times
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
LOL, aahhhh you guysss

Okay. Mmm. Kind of a split. But I think you guys have helped me make up my mind. I will email the artist today with the image and ask him about changing that N a bit.

Thank you guys so much! You have all been VERY helpful and I love you for it *smoosh*

(also more reppies soon. Wheeee)

JulianneQJohnson

Ferret Herder
Registered
Reaction score
Website
julianneqjohnson.com
I love skelewhale going the new direction. The ornamentation behind him makes it look like he's swimming. I love the second cover as well, but the big guy getting all up in the title makes that last word difficult to read.

Southpaw

The squirrel apocalypse is coming!
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Late to the party but my favorites are the skeleton-whale and the mouse-lion one (post25).

I like the whale in this direction; it flows better with the text.

The lion creature is too big in that one and makes the title unreadable, so shrink it a wee bit. And yes the type is gorgeous!

It's a toss on which is bets though, they are both pretty cool.

ajaye

partial to a gum tree
Registered
Reaction score
Hmm, I prefer the original skelewhale, unflipped. It seems more balanced overall, and I think the heart is more noticeable.

Sabrina Hartford

Registered
Reaction score
I like the original Skelewhale for the following reasons:
1) It fits in more with the design of the text.
2) It follows the direction of the text and so has a sense of motion. It looks like it is about to swim off the book which make it very exciting.

Excellent cover!!

LAgrunion

not to be taken seriously
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
I haven't read the book, but that shouldn't matter because part of a book cover's job is to entice readers who know nothing about the book.

I strongly prefer the skeleton whale. It's the clear winner, IMO.

As for which direction it faces, I'd say it doesn't matter a whole lot. Either way is fine, and I doubt the orientation will move the needle in terms of sales. But if I had to choose, I'd go with the whale facing right. Facing left looks more harmonious because it flows with the adjacent text, but facing right is more eye-catching for some reason I can't define. Maybe it's that I don't like it when things look too "matchy." Going against the flow can be more ... aesthetically stimulating, if that makes any sense.

Regardless, it is a fantastic cover. I love the little floating heart. At the thumbnail size most internet webpages will use, you probably won't notice the heart. Still, it's a cute detail for those who do spot it (e.g. on a paperback).

And I'm not saying all this just because I usually religiously suck up to you in a vain effort to please you.

Underdawg47

Registered
Reaction score
I love the cover with the original skeletal whale facing right. It is wonderful and it doesn't obscure the swirly designs. My second favorite is the original whale.