How does a character who's too understanding create conflict?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Rechan

Registered
Reaction score
After writing two stories about a trio of characters, I want to write a third, but I'm a bit stumped for conflict.

Character C has high emotional intelligence; he's good at reading people, he pushes people to be honest and up front, he's forgiving and patient. A very Nice Guy who (frustratingly) doesn't seem to have many flaws besides being dense outside of his great people skills. I have no idea how he can screw up big time; some of that luster needs to be taken off him. Also the other two characters have been the source of conflict and I want to give them a bit of a break.

The particulars is that it's a love triangle. In story 1, character J has a sexual relationship with character B but it isn't romantic. J wants to move to the next step, but in the scene where J is going to confess to B, B tells J about character C, the perfect guy above. B wants to know if it's cool for them to keep their thing going while she begins a Romantic relationship with C*. J clams up out of fear, but insists they tell C about B&J's sexual relationship so everyone is on the same page. Story 2 is C being pulled into the situation utterly blind. J's hidden love is doing lots of internal strife but J is soldiering on because she doesn't want to lose B. Until J explodes. B is super conflict-avoidant and goes into hiding. C finds out J loves B but hasn't told her. Character C sits everyone down, makes them talk, and iron everything out. By the end, they are on track for making the love triangle work.

B isn't at Fault for all the above conflict, but because she's the one everyone is upset over, I've had readers tell me they are less sympathetic towards her. Story 3 would be from B's perspective and she should get a character arc that lets her improve. So I want to put the sympathy back on her, and give J a break from the emotional beating she's received. This means C needs to hurt B despite his best efforts to be Mr. Relationship Coach, and both C and B need to make mistakes that escalate the situation. I'm not sure what J can bring to the table here aside from being the sounding board.

Story 3 can't deal with hiding feelings or jealousy, since I've already beaten those. How do I create conflict when all the characters are ascribing to the relationship rule of "Be upfront and honest"?

*I know this sounds bad, but the context here is that B would stop with whoever if a relationship got Serious. You know, characters "go steady". Prior to "going steady", you could get away with playing the field a bit, maintaining your Friends with Benefits, etc.

Last edited:

MaeZe

Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
I can't help you with your story, but I can tell you a tidbit from my experience. The picture I had for my main character was a clever, defiant girl on a bit of a self esteem roller coaster because most of her peers didn't like her. I made her confident when she was alone and lacking confidence when she was in her village. But as I wrote it, her confidence neutralized the insecurity. I took out a couple of the confident statements and it reads much better.

For example, she discovers carnivorous plants and comments (to herself) it was better than her fossil find. The next sentence was, "going out of bounds has its advantages." That added information that she was out of bounds, but it also neutralized the insecurity she has and I didn't want it to be completely absent. I changed it to, "not like anyone cared about those either." Much better.

Take the character you initially picture the person as, but don't be afraid to change it.
Character C has high emotional intelligence; he's good at reading people, he pushes people to be honest and up front, he's forgiving and patient. A very Nice Guy who (frustratingly) doesn't seem to have many flaws besides being dense outside of his great people skills. I have no idea how he can screw up big time; some of that luster needs to be taken off him. Also the other two characters have been the source of conflict and I want to give them a bit of a break.
Doesn't have flaws, give him some. Great people skills, bring in a character that he can't read.

As you write it, let the places it doesn't work speak to you. OK than sounds hokey. ;) I do a lot of changing in the editing, probably more on the far end of the editing continuum than those skilled writers who get it right the first time.

Last edited:

Rechan

Registered
Reaction score
Thanks for the reply!

Take the character you initially picture the person as, but don't be afraid to change it.
The two stories are already published so I can't go back and edit the characters. Maintaining consistency means any change must either be a new development or new to the reader without invalidating the previous presentation.

Yeah, C needs flaws. I'm just at a loss as to what to give him. :)

Last edited:

MaeZe

Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Thanks for the reply!

The two stories are already published so I can't go back and edit the characters. Maintaining consistency means any change must either be a new development or new to the reader without invalidating the previous presentation.

Yeah, C needs flaws. I'm just at a loss as to what to give him. :)

OK but, can't you reveal anything new that wasn't revealed in the previous works?

If not, go with a person who he's unable to read.

Rechan

Registered
Reaction score
Yes, that's why I said "or new to the reader without invalidating the previous presentation". :)

Captcha

Banned
Reaction score
It doesn't have to be an internal conflict, does it?

A polyamorous relationship will face plenty of challenges if they try to live openly as such. If C's such a great, caring guy he'll probably anticipate these and maybe try to shelter the others from the awkwardness/discrimination, which the others could interpret as him being ashamed of the relationship or trying to hide it. Or there could be an actual concrete threat (one of the others about to lose his/her job/family/whatever) and C tries to solve the problem by sacrificing himself and his place in the relationship. Something poly-based makes sense to me.

(I wrote a really similar dynamic in m/m/m land, so I'm trying to suggest ideas without suggesting you just copy exactly what I did!)

Rechan

Registered
Reaction score
What was your question again? Seems like you have your answers already.
How to create conflict and add flaws to this character. Since I still am drawing a big goose egg.

And to answer your question Captcha, yeah, it does have to be internal conflict. I'd prefer to avoid the prejudice topic.

Last edited:

edutton

Ni. Peng. Neee-Wom.
Registered
Reaction score
After writing two stories about a trio of characters, I want to write a third, but I'm a bit stumped for conflict.

Character C has high emotional intelligence; he's good at reading people, he pushes people to be honest and up front, he's forgiving and patient. A very Nice Guy who (frustratingly) doesn't seem to have many flaws besides being dense outside of his great people skills.
Is it established that he's always been like this, or is it possible these are skills he consciously developed because of something that happened in an earlier part of his life? If the second part is doable, you could bring in a character from the situation that triggered him to learn that... backstory is a great potential source of conflict. :)

MaeZe

Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
The question:
How to create conflict and add flaws to this character. Since I still am drawing a big goose egg....
Which is contradicted by this:
Rechan said:

If you are looking for something consistent with two previous stories, how are we to help you with the conflict and flaws, given we haven't read your first two stories?

Rechan

Registered
Reaction score
The question:
Which is contradicted by this:

If you are looking for something consistent with two previous stories, how are we to help you with the conflict and flaws, given we haven't read your first two stories?

By suggesting flaws or conflicts? All I'm saying is that I can't edit things in retroactively, so it has to be "yet unseen". Like this post:

Is it established that he's always been like this, or is it possible these are skills he consciously developed because of something that happened in an earlier part of his life? If the second part is doable, you could bring in a character from the situation that triggered him to learn that... backstory is a great potential source of conflict. :)

That can work. It could be a person, or it could be that there's a single issue/circumstance that's a raw nerve or blind spot. When it gets tripped, he reacts irrational and wholly out of character. Or, he gets too mindful. He holds something back that would hurt someone's feelings, or perhaps makes a mistake, someone gets hurt, and he backs off for fear of doing it again--his concern results in pushing someone away.

C has always had a kind heart. His conflict mediation skills though comes from being a coach for kids' sports, running summer camps, etc; job skills.

Tsu Dho Nimh

Registered
Reaction score

Character C has high emotional intelligence; he's good at reading people, he pushes people to be honest and up front, he's forgiving and patient. A very Nice Guy who (frustratingly) doesn't seem to have many flaws besides being dense outside of his great people skills.

He's equally forgiving and patient to people who either hate each other, or don't really deserve the patience and forgiveness?

frimble3

Heckuva good sport
Registered
Reaction score
Funny, I can see how what you see as positives could be really, really annoying.
I get that you can't contradict what you've already written, but how about a new character who doesn't care to be told how to get along with others, to be 'handled'? Or, if not a new character, maybe C just gets overly full of himself and gets increasingly obnoxious and overbearing? "See, I was right, I'm always right, just do it my way the first time."

Beware anyone who starts a sentence with "Can we be honest?" Nothing good will follow. 'Honesty' may be open and truthful, but it's also the cover for hurtful stuff: "You look fat in that" "You're dating a bum" and "You could do better".

If this wasn't beloved C, how long with people put up with a meddling relative or friend who's always butting into your affairs, managing your relationships, 'suggesting' how you should handle things?

frimble3

Heckuva good sport
Registered
Reaction score
And sometimes, when you're angry, you want to vent, you want to have someone just listen, you don't want 'good advice' and 'here's what you should have done'.

Rechan

Registered
Reaction score
Funny, I can see how what you see as positives could be really, really annoying.
I get that you can't contradict what you've already written, but how about a new character who doesn't care to be told how to get along with others, to be 'handled'? Or, if not a new character, maybe C just gets overly full of himself and gets increasingly obnoxious and overbearing? "See, I was right, I'm always right, just do it my way the first time."

Beware anyone who starts a sentence with "Can we be honest?" Nothing good will follow. 'Honesty' may be open and truthful, but it's also the cover for hurtful stuff: "You look fat in that" "You're dating a bum" and "You could do better".
Because the honesty is generally about feelings, not opinions. Mainly, "If something makes you feel bad, you gotta share it." "You look fat" would get called out unless it was "I'm worried about your weight".

But there are problems that just saying feelings won't fix. "I don't like that you're friends with x". Short of cutting off ties with x, or the character accepting x, there's no resolving that. The same with a problem that, while it gets discussed, the character repeats the action again. They weren't thinking, didn't remember, etc. And there are lots of problems that feelings don't even matter--like say, the character is bad at handling money, or making decisions. C could also make a serious mistake, and the other characters have a slow time forgiving it, or C has a hard time getting past his own mistake.

While I don't want a fourth character causing the central conflict, I could see that being a smaller issue that demonstrates C's character or contributes to larger issues. For instance, C is being taken advantage of for being too kind--someone who keeps asking for money or help but doesn't reciprocate--and C just won't say no. Or someone who is too stubborn/unreasonable and C just cannot let go of trying to make everybody happy.

The story could be B suffering from a thousand cuts. Many small pains, misunderstandings, etc by themselves are manageable, but when it all happens in a short amount of time, she breaks.

sunandshadow

Impractical Fantasy Animal
Registered
Reaction score
Website
home.comcast.net
I would tend to assume that a character who was too understanding would get talked into helping with too many things, especially things that really shouldn't be their responsibility. They would get pressured into being an enabler and an accomplice. Also, they might have problems with their own finances or other non-emotional area of life. Perhaps they are addicted to smoking or gambling. Perhaps they are so busy being a listener they feel they shouldn't add to others' burdens by speaking about their own problems. Perhaps they have religious relatives and hide any controversial aspect of their lives when around their relatives.

Status
Not open for further replies.