Trump plans weekly publication of crimes by undocumented immigrants

ElaineA

All about that action, boss.
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.reneedominick.com
I admit, I get really sick of hearing "come here legally" and "my parents/grandparents came here legally." Well, my grandparents did come here legally. Because they were able to. They were only fleeing poverty, but they came from Sicily and Ireland, and faced terrible discrimination, but they did it so they and their children didn't starve. And if they weren't allowed in legally, and could have managed it, they would have broken any laws to get here. They were productive, patriotic, law-abiding citizens who raised productive, patriotic, law-abiding children (some of whom were born in Sicily and Ireland), who did the same, but they would have come to America illegally to save those children and themselves.

+1 (And I don't know if mine DID come legally. They entered via Canada into North Dakota. For all I know they hot-footed it across the border on a dark and snowy night.)

Roxxsmom

Beastly Fido
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Website
doggedlywriting.blogspot.com
That undocumented immigrants sometimes commit crimes, and occasionally commit severe ones, has never been up for debate in rational circles. You won't find a demographic grouping of people in the country that doesn't include a small percentage of criminals. That undocumented immigrants are a particularly criminal group compared to legal residents and US citizens is very debatable, however (some studies show that immigrants, whether here legally or not, are less likely to commit crimes than native-born Americans). I've certainly never seen data that suggests that they are more criminally inclined overall than anyone else.

Of course, this site isn't intended to present actual statistics, but to post isolated, lurid incidents in order to whip up fear and hate. This site will be propaganda, in other words.

Last edited:

autumnleaf

practical experience, FTW
Registered
Reaction score
The vast majority of convicted criminals, particularly of violent prisoners, have one thing in common. They are male.
So you should forbid men from entering your country or at least from holding positions of power. (<--- Not a serious suggestion. Well maybe...)

Cmalone

Registered
Reaction score
An update on the brand new agency that's being created for this purpose:

As mandated by Trump's executive order signed last month, the Department of Homeland Security announced in implementation guidance issued last week that it would create the Victims Of Immigration Crime Engagement office, or VOICE.

In establishing the office as called for in Trump's January 25 executive order, DHS Secretary John Kelly ordered the reallocation of any department resources currently going to advocating for undocumented immigrants that can be re-routed to fund the office.
VOICE's job will be to work with victims of crimes committed by undocumented immigrants.
Trump called in his order for the office to issue reports once a quarter "studying the effects of the victimization by criminal aliens present in the United States."

Along with a similar provision in the executive order requiring weekly reports about crimes committed by undocumented immigrants designed to name and shame sanctuary cities, critics fear the measures are designed to skew public opinion unfavorably toward immigrants. Studies conducted by organizations that support pro-immigration policies have found that immigrants commit crimes at a lower rate than the general public, findings that supporters of hardline immigration policies say don't matter.

rugcat

Lost in the Fog
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.jlevitt.com
I'm thinking we should have another department to focus on crimes committed against immigrants by American citizens -- crimes like rape and murder.

The guy in Kansas City who shot two guys from India who were here on work visas, (as well as a bystander who attempted to intervene) for example. Of course, that was simply an unfortunate case of mistaken identity. Apparently he thought they were Iranians.

https://www.google.com/amp/s/www.wa...-of-two-indian-men-in-kansas-as-a-hate-crime/

Gotta love this picture of the guy – I guess I'm guilty of profiling because to me he looks exactly like the type of person who would pull out a gun in a bar and start shooting.

frimble3

Heckuva good sport
Registered
Reaction score
And, I suspect, even more common - cheating them. Not paying them, cheating them out of their property, overcharging them, making them work in hazardous conditions. Because, hey, they're illegal, what are they going to do? Call the cops?

cbenoi1

Banned
Reaction score
And, I suspect, even more common - cheating them. Not paying them, cheating them out of their property, overcharging them, making them work in hazardous conditions. Because, hey, they're illegal, what are they going to do? Call the cops?
Oh. Is that what "mexicans will pay for the wall" meant?

-cb

regdog

The Scavengers
Staff member
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
I guess Trump still isn't going to publish crimes committed by his Administration, such as Jeff Sessions speaking with Russia and then lying about it.

Link

Cmalone

Registered
Reaction score
I guess Trump still isn't going to publish crimes committed by his Administration, such as Jeff Sessions speaking with Russia and then lying about it.

Link

Yeah and I don't see Sessions admitting wrongdoing and resigning like Flynn.

Roxxsmom

Beastly Fido
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Website
Not necessary. There are certainly instances of undocumented immigrants committing terrible crimes.

Statistically, however, they are far less likely to commit crimes than are native born Americans.

This. By cherry picking crimes by immigrants that are sure to engender fear and reinforce prejudices, he'll be tossing more red meat to his base and very likely increasing the general anxiety level among the uninformed masses. Most people have a lousy grasp of statistics and risk assessment. I've had some interesting conversations with otherwise smart people (some are actually very well educated but are parents who are terrified to let their kids out of their sight) who just can't/won't accept that violent crime is not at an all time high, for instance, and that the opposite is closer to the truth. They can tend to get quite angry and will even indignantly state that social scientists are lying or ignorant.

We hear more about specific crimes than we used to, thanks to the internet and 24-hour news cycle, and that translates to "lots more crime" overall for most people. So Trump's administration tossing out lists of specific crimes by immigrants will definitely reinforce the idea that immigrants are responsible for a disproportionate amount of crime when the opposite is true.

This has Bannon's greasy little fingers all over it. We might as well change his official title to "Secretary of Propaganda."

Cmalone

Registered
Reaction score

Link

He has now agreed to recuse himself from the Russian hacking investigation(s):

Attorney General Jeff Sessions, facing a chorus of criticism over his contacts with the Russian ambassador, recused himself Thursday from any current or future investigation of Russian meddling in the 2016 presidential election. His conversations with the ambassador, Sergey I. Kislyak, came amid suspected Russian hacking directed at Hillary Clinton’s campaign.

Mr. Sessions said he made the decision after meeting with senior career officials at the Justice Department. He said he would not take part in any investigations “related in any way to the campaigns for president of the United States.”

Mr. Sessions said “I don’t recall” whether Mr. Trump or the presidential election, which was then two months away, came up in the discussion with the ambassador.

I still don't think he'll go as far as a resignation, but I'm at least pleased to see there was enough heat for him to agree to this. Hopefully the heat turns into an inferno.

Last edited:

Roxxsmom

Beastly Fido
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Website

Cmalone

Registered
Reaction score
I hope so. Is there anyone in Trump's administration who doesn't have connections with Russia? Is Putin telling Trump whom to put on his administration or something?

I thought quite a few of them were reported to have various connections (especially financial) before the election? I remember thinking he (or his handlers) picked them out because they were already ingratiated to Putin.

Brightdreamer

Just Another Lazy Perfectionist
Registered
Reaction score
Website
brightdreamersbookreviews.blogspot.com
Is there anyone in Trump's administration who doesn't have connections with Russia? Is Putin telling Trump whom to put on his administration or something?

There's a saying: lie down with dogs, get up with fleas. At this point, even in the off chance anyone in this administration wasn't connected with Russia before, I'd say they all have a major flea infestation now... As more links become public, I have a very, very hard time believing anyone is unaware of the influence in the White House, making anyone voluntarily working with them (say, certain prominent Republicans) suspect.