RIP Mary Tyler Moore

cornflake

practical experience, FTW
Registered
Reaction score
Doesn't look like 2016 is going to stop.

Mary Tyler Moore, television icon, Academy Award nominee, star of her eponymous show, activist, dead at 80. Story here.

Last edited:

cornflake

practical experience, FTW
Registered
Reaction score
I remember watching Dick Van Dyke on Nick at Nite when I was a kid, mostly because she was in it, but I didn't get into it like I did the MTM show - that was a staple of my childhood summers; it used to run in bunches on Nick at Nite. Love it still. Chuckles. :(

Thoroughly Modern Mille is a classic too... so sad.

Last edited:

Roxxsmom

Beastly Fido
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Website
doggedlywriting.blogspot.com
RIP, Mary. I was too young to really "get" those shows when they were in first runs and popular, but my folks watched them faithfully. I understand that the MTM show was really the first popular show that addressed issues like sexism.

Maggie Maxwell

Making Einstein cry since 1994
Registered
Reaction score
Website
thewanderingquille.blogspot.com
Well, my radio station got the news about the same time I did, apparently, because they just played the Mary Tyler Moore theme song, followed with Hendrix's The Wind Cried Mary.

Jerk radio. :cry:You made it after all, good lady.

Lyv

I meant to do that.
Registered
Reaction score
I am remembering her advocacy regarding juvenile (Type I) diabetes. When my sister was diagnosed in 1967 at age 17, we had Mary as an example of what her life could be. Back then, the insulin wasn't as pure, monitoring was only fingersticks a few times a day, and there were no pumps, so fluctuating blood sugar levels meant more complications (my sister died in 1997 at age 47, despite being as compliant as she could be). There was a stigma to having diabetes then, but Mary was out and open about it. She was an staunch advocate and I will always feel gratitude when I think of her. My whole family did.

regdog

The Scavengers
Staff member
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score

chompers

Registered
Reaction score
I don't feel like it's a repeat of 2016. Mary was sick for a long time. 2016 was hard because it was a lot of unexpected and sudden deaths. Mary's lived a good, fulfilling life, I think. She's certainly made an impact for many. RIP.

Kjbartolotta

Potentially has/is dog
Registered
Reaction score
GF had often considered changing her name to 'X-name Tyler Moore'. I'm all for it, this might be the moment it actually happened. Phone's dead, so I can't talk to her right now, but I'm sure she's not feeling great about it. With Carrie and MTM now gone, only Doris Day is left.

Frankie007

Registered
Reaction score
2016 is over. i think she's the first of 2017.... and here i thought it was gonna be Charles Manson....

AW Admin

Administrator
Registered
Reaction score
RIP: Mary Tyler Moore

This is really hard to explain to women who aren't of my generation, but the Mary Tyler Moore show really made a difference for a lot of us in terms of what it meant to be a woman, what was possible, and that we could say No.

Ms. Moore was far more talented than many realized; the MTM show was just one of her accomplishements.

But read this.

And go watch four of five episodes and think about what it would have been like to be. c. 10 to 16 and watching the show from 1970–1977, during which Ms. Moore won four of her seven Emmys.

And then watch Ordinary People.

Haggis

Evil, undead Chihuahua
Registered
Reaction score
For the record, she meant a lot to us non-women too.

She was an extraordinary performer, and extraordinary person. Her death has ripped out yet another piece of my soul.

RIP, Mary.

*tosses hat in the air*

Ari Meermans

MacAllister's Official Minion & Greeter
Registered
Reaction score
For the record, she meant a lot to us non-women too.

She was an extraordinary performer, and extraordinary person. Her death has ripped out yet another piece of my soul.

RIP, Mary.

*tosses hat in the air*

This. I was in my twenties while her show ran; MTM made me believe it was not only possible, but okay, too. I've always thought her pretty all-around wonderful.

Haggis

Evil, undead Chihuahua
Registered
Reaction score
I'm guessing it didn't get syndicated. Not accessible to our younger members. Damn shame.

BenPanced

THE BLUEBERRY QUEEN OF HADES (he/him)
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Plus her production company MTM Enterprises brought about many other classic shows, including The Bob Newhart Show and WKRP In Cincinnati.

I can't remember what it was (some one-season wonder, I think) but a sitcom had a character named Mary whom everybody called Mare for short. I do remember, however, yelling at the TV, "THERE IS ONLY ONE MARE AND SHE IS NOT HER!"

And I pass many of the landmarks seen in the opening credits of her show daily (but not Mary's House. That's out in one of the suburbs I'm not even near).

RIP, Mare.

Last edited:

BenPanced

THE BLUEBERRY QUEEN OF HADES (he/him)
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
I was in my early to mid 20s when I saw the first episode of The Dick Van Dyke Show (again) and it was an enlightening experience. While Mary Tyler Moore was a pro, she wasn't quite as seasoned as her co-stars. But what was fascinating was you could actually see her watching and learning how to play off the other actors on the show and how to respond as her iconic Laura. Such a marvelous show, along with her eponymous sitcom. RIP, Mare.

laura_zpscvl2kpog.jpeg

Last edited:

Silva

saucy
Registered
Reaction score
Website
twitter.com
I binge-watched several seasons of the MTM show on hulu, about 4-5 years ago when I was still trying to extricate myself from patriarchal religious beliefs. It was hilarious and cathartic and I was jealous of her independence.

Hulu is no longer free, but I put a copy of the first season on hold at the library. It'll be interesting to see it through a different lens this time around.

frimble3

Heckuva good sport
Registered
Reaction score
AW Admin;10080386 And go watch four of five episodes and think about what it would have been like to be. c. 10 to 16 and watching the show from 1970–1977 said:
Ordinary People[/I].
(That was the age at which I watched the show for the first time.)
I think it increased the impact of Ordinary People. If it had been some well-known 'dramatic' actress playing the mother, it wouldn't have been the same as seeing dear, sweet Mary playing the part. And, you could see the roots of the character in Mary Richards' anxiety and fussiness. It was the dark side of the same character. Still an interesting movie, even if you've never seen the MTM show, but it adds depth.

Last edited: