LibreOffice or Apache Open Office?

rosehips

Mr. Boo is watching you.
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.upwork.com
I need to download an open office software for my new laptop. I do 90% of my writing on Google Drive but occasionally I have to work off line. I can't afford to spend anything (buying this laptop was already more than I could afford, but my old one got smashed by my kids, so...). Advice?

Haggis

Evil, undead Chihuahua
Registered
Reaction score
I'm liking LibreOffice. I've had Open Office for years too. I think you'd be fine with either.

AW Admin

Administrator
Registered
Reaction score
Currently the differences between them are mostly about the user interface. I'd try one, and if it's not quite to your liking, then try the other.

King Neptune

Banned
Reaction score
It's is mostly a matter of which version of which; some are better than others. As was suggested, trying one and then the other would be a good idea. You might even want to download both and try them the same day and o the same things.

Maxinquaye

That cheeky buggerer
Registered
Reaction score
Website
maxoneverything.wordpress.com
Open Office is at high risk of being cancelled

Since LibreOffice is Open Office, except with a slicker front-end, my advice would be to go with LibreOffice. LibreOffice has a healthy development cycle as is likely to be around for many years - particularly if Apache cancels Open Office and the devs there are free to go over to LibreOffice.