• Guest please check The Index before starting a thread.

New in every sense of the word

Devangel

So new in fact I'm not even sure where I should post this. I was just wondering if any one here can give me any insight as to quality agencies to send my work to. So far I have these names under my belt...

Trident Media
Ethan Ellenberg
Donald Maass Literary

If anyone can add onto this I would be very greatful. Also I may mention that I am a fictional writer. Thank you.

-Devangel

gp101

Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Devangel said:
So new in fact I'm not even sure where I should post this. I was just wondering if any one here can give me any insight as to quality agencies to send my work to. So far I have these names under my belt...

Trident Media
Ethan Ellenberg
Donald Maass Literary

Well, you surely got some of the big guns off the bat. Check out the "Networking: Share your leads" section of the board for more. Don't limit yourself to just the big names. And, of course, if you plug in "literary agent" into a search engine you'll get a lot of sites to visit, some good, some not so good.

Devangel said:
If anyone can add onto this I would be very greatful. Also I may mention that I am a fictional writer. Thank you.
-Devangel

A fictional writer? Does that mean you don't really exist? That you're a character in a story and we're just part of the plot? Spooky, man.

maestrowork

Fear the Death Ray
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.amazon.com
Welcome, Devangel. There's the Beware forum where you can find answers and post questions about specific agencies or publishers.

Aconite

Registered
Reaction score
The short guide to finding effective, reputable agents:

Go to brick-and-mortar bookstores (that is, those in buildings, not online). Look for books similar to yours. Find out who agented them. Research those agencies. Look up the guidelines for querying those agents you find most promising. Follow those guidelines when you submit.

If you look in the Index on the Bewares and Background Check board, you'll find links to articles on finding and researching agents.

emeraldcite

Art is Resistance
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.emeraldcite.blogspot.com
check out agentquery.com

Then do some research.

Check our own Bewares and Background Checks.

Do some more research.

Don't send a query unless you are sure that the agent you are sending it to is reputable. It's best to find out up front than to ask on the back end. Or, even worse, getting scammed.

Oh, read through Bewares and Background Checks. Did I mention that one. They have some links to excellent resources as well.

Bartholomew

Comic guy
Kind Benefactor
Poetry Book Collaborator
Registered
Reaction score
And the good old Writers Market....

Aconite

Registered
Reaction score
Bartholomew said:
And the good old Writers Market....
WM has some serious problems as a resource. They don't vet the listings well, for one, and many scam companies are listed alongside reputable ones as a result. Also, by the time it hits print, the information is already outdated, in many cases.

Sassenach

5 W's & an H
Registered
Reaction score
You need to do your initial research.

I'm going to give you the benefit of the doubt, but it's troublesome to me that you've used terms like fictional writer and greatful. It indicates that your mss may not be ready for submission.

Devangel said:

Trident Media
Ethan Ellenberg
Donald Maass Literary

-Devangel

Devangel

Have no fear of that my friend, I speak very differently when I am ready for submission/evaluation/any other synonyms relating to judging/testing/screening/synonyms adhering to...(Isn't the English language fun). The concern is much appreciated. Besides it was rather late in my area when I submitted this.

As long as I know that those agencies are legit, then that is acceptable. As for their status, I had no idea that they were BIG names.

gp101:A fictional writer? Does that mean you don't really exist? That you're a character in a story and we're just part of the plot? Spooky, man.

Those are the answers I so long for ;)

Also I have been using agentquery.com, would you rate that as a helpful site?

Thank you all for your time.
Much gratitude

Last edited:

Bufty

Where have the last ten years gone?
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Eh? Purely out of curiosity, how did you find or research them?

Devangel said:
As long as I know that those agencies are legit, then that is acceptable. As for their status, I had no idea that they were BIG names.