Web portal for a literary magazine...

Status
Not open for further replies.

Albdantesque

Banned
Reaction score
Hello everyone,

Two years ago, I and some Albanian friends created a review magazine. Unfortunately, we don't see any money coming from our writings and I am wondering how we may create a portal or an electronic platform for our Albanian literary magazine. I am wondering if we could just post our volumes as PDF docs on Amazon and charge readers at a minimal cost.

One moment I'll have to ask for permission from ISSN in order to do this. But at this point, I am still wondering what's the best option for us. My dream is an academic-like online journal, but I have little money to do this and I don't know where we could get some support or whether there may be some non-profit publishers with an interest in international/Albanian/Balkan literature.

Finally, I am willing to discuss the cost with online publishers with experience in journal publishing. But as I said, I prefer any non-for-profit organizations.

Thank you for your consideration!

Last edited:

Old Hack

Such a nasty woman
Super Moderator
Absolute Sage
Registered
Reaction score
Hello everyone,

Two years ago, I and some Albanian friends created a review magazine. Unfortunately, we don't see any money coming from our writings and I am wondering how we may create a portal or an electronic platform for our Albanian literary magazine. I am wondering if we could just post our volumes as PDF docs on Amazon and charge readers at a minimal cost.

I don't think you can put PDFs on Amazon. You have to either sell it as a digital book, or as a printed one. But I see no reason why you couldn't do this in addition to selling on your own website, which I assume you're doing.

I do wonder, however, if a review magazine would attract any sales there. You could try it, but I suspect reviews of any sort are not going to be something people pay for (I understand it is probably more than just reviews, but even so, it's not a popular format).

One moment I'll have to ask for permission from ISSN in order to do this. But at this point, I am still wondering what's the best option for us. My dream is an academic-like online journal, but I have little money to do this and I don't know where we could get some support or whether there may be some non-profit publishers with an interest in international/Albanian/Balkan literature.

Finally, I am willing to discuss the cost with online publishers with experience in journal publishing. But as I said, I prefer any non-for-profit organizations.

Thank you for your consideration!

In your first paragraph you said your magazine had not earned you any money; now you want to work with a not-for-profit organisation--and that would also earn you no money.

I think you need to clarify what you want, and then work out how to get it. Good luck!

Albdantesque

Banned
Reaction score
My goal is an academic-like journal. I can't know exactly how much money come from sales in Albania. I think they receive like 6000$ a year from sales through libraries and book fairs, but again a journal needs much more money. Insofar as we are speaking about a cultural/literary journal I think it is not impossible to raise a small fund --in the case that no way there to create an electronic journal for free. This is what I meant when I said I am willing to discuss. In some small cultures there are less money for books and literature and interested parties sometimes work together to raise funds that cannot come from markets. Anyway, I will keep googling also. I was just wondering if some UK/EU based universities may provide access to literary journals from other countries. That's the best option, though I will see for other options also.

Last edited:

Old Hack

Such a nasty woman
Super Moderator
Absolute Sage
Registered
Reaction score
I was just wondering if some UK/EU based universities may provide access to literary journals from other countries. That's the best option, though I will see for other options also.

If you want universities to subscribe to your journal you have to do two things.

1) Make sure your journal is either better than most of the others available, or make sure it is unique and covers an area which is of great interest to those universities;

2) Make sure your journal is easy for them to get hold of.

Once you're sure of these two things, send out press releases and review copies and cross your fingers.

Status
Not open for further replies.