Danes/Denmark

Staugaard

Registered
Reaction score
I know I've spotted some Danes here by their location tag, but I couldn't find any threads in this forum.

So, any other Danes writing in English? It would be cool to trade experiences, advice, critique etc.

Best, Søren.

blacbird

Registered
Reaction score
I am Danish by heritage. My parents came from Denmark around 1940 to escape Hitler. As I understand, they were from farming families in the north, near Aarhus. But, alas, I've never been to Denmark, and speak no Danish. My son, however, is fascinated with it, and would like to emigrate back to the Old Country. But, whatever, welcome.

caw

Staugaard

Registered
Reaction score
Cool :) I actually live in Aarhus. Do you still have family over here? Immigrating to Denmark these days is probably more of a hassle than it used to with our new-found protectionism. Not sure exactly what we are protecting, but it must be very precious judging by the fervor of some commentators...

Missmwrites

Registered
Reaction score
Hejjjjj!
Danish person here, also writing in English. Leaving in KBH at the moment. Yes, trading advice and critiques sound interesting.
Lets!

Last edited:

LQGRING

Registered
Reaction score
Helloooo!
I'm from Denmark too, currently based in Horsens/Kolding.

I would love to join the circle :)

blacbird

Registered
Reaction score
Cool :) I actually live in Aarhus. Do you still have family over here? Immigrating to Denmark these days is probably more of a hassle than it used to with our new-found protectionism. Not sure exactly what we are protecting, but it must be very precious judging by the fervor of some commentators...

My parents, farmers, came from somewhere near Aarhus. But I was born in the U.S., in a very Danish town (Cedar Falls, Iowa). Lots of Danes and Norwegians in my home region. Alas, I speak no Danish.

caw

c.hansen

Registered
Reaction score
more Danes are def cool :D
How's it going with the writing all?
Am a Dane living in Norway also writing in English.

llyralen

Registered
Reaction score
Jeg er Amerikaner. Jeg boede i Danmark 20 år siden, for det mest i Hillerød. Jeg virkelige savner det Danke sprog (og Mad og Landet og Danske Humor, i kan tro). Jeg har sled ikke nogen jeg kan øver sproget med. Okay jeg syndes jeg er en stakles lille pige lig nu.
Glæde i til Jul?
Jeg har 2 spørsmål eller commentor:

1. Jens Peter Jacobsen— I can’t find any English translations of his poetry. Do you guys know of any? I can’t even find them for free on the internet in Danish either. Do you know of any websites with his poems in Danish? I would like to read them in either language. He influenced a lot of people’s writing. Rilke specifically named Jacobsen as his greatest influence.

2. Have any of you been to Greenland? I’ve been working on a historical fiction of the Greenland Norse and Inuit cultures for a few years now. I wish I could go. I’d love to ask some questions if you’ve ever been there.

Tak så smuk mange gang
Undskyld for mit dårligt Dansk
Mon jeg kunne hils alle mine gamle venner
-Llyralen

Last edited:

c.hansen

Registered
Reaction score
Jeg er Amerikaner. Jeg boede i Danmark 20 år siden, for det mest i Hillerød. Jeg virkelige savner det Danke sprog (og Mad og Landet og Danske Humor, i kan tro). Jeg har sled ikke nogen jeg kan øver sproget med. Okay jeg syndes jeg er en stakles lille pige lig nu.
Glæde i til Jul?
Jeg har 2 spørsmål eller commentor:

1. Jens Peter Jacobsen— I can’t find any English translations of his poetry. Do you guys know of any? I can’t even find them for free on the internet in Danish either. Do you know of any websites with his poems in Danish? I would like to read them in either language. He influenced a lot of people’s writing. Rilke specifically named Jacobsen as his greatest influence.

2. Have any of you been to Greenland? I’ve been working on a historical fiction of the Greenland Norse and Inuit cultures for a few years now. I wish I could go. I’d love to ask some questions if you’ve ever been there.

Tak så smuk mange gang
Undskyld for mit dårligt Dansk
Mon jeg kunne hils alle mine gamle venner
-Llyralen
Hej! Jeg syntes du skrev meget flot! Du kan øve med mig når som helst :)
Haha! Det gør du slett ikke.
Ja, jeg elsker jul. Det er en meget hyggelig tid og i Norge, hvor jeg bor, får vi næsten altid sne.

I can't find any English translating to Jens Peter Jacobsens poetry, The only book that's translated is "Niels Lyhne" apparently, but I'm sure you already know that if you've been looking for English translations on his work.

Haven't been to Greenland yet. Sorry that I couldn't be much help on either count.

Håber du snart kan besøge dine gamle venner!
Hav en god dag!
Christina

• Love
Reactions: llyralen

llyralen

Registered
Reaction score
Hej! Jeg syntes du skrev meget flot! Du kan øve med mig når som helst :)
Haha! Det gør du slett ikke.
Ja, jeg elsker jul. Det er en meget hyggelig tid og i Norge, hvor jeg bor, får vi næsten altid sne.

I can't find any English translating to Jens Peter Jacobsens poetry, The only book that's translated is "Niels Lyhne" apparently, but I'm sure you already know that if you've been looking for English translations on his work.

Haven't been to Greenland yet. Sorry that I couldn't be much help on either count.

Håber du snart kan besøge dine gamle venner!
Hav en god dag!
Christina
Yay! Jeg glæde mig til Jul alså. Jeg håber vi bege tog hygge os rigtig meget. Ved du hvad jeg holde meget af? Danske Jule Sang. Kimer I Klokker og (okay det er Svenske men alligevel) Nu Tændes Tusinde Jule Lys. Og jeg skal nok lytte til Sissel Kyrkjebø meget, selvfølgelig! Hvad med dig til Jul? Og skal du have fleskestig med kartofler med sukker alle traditionel? Ellers hvad? Har de forskellige traditional Mad i Norg? Jeg laver lækkert rød grød med flyde men syndes flæskestig er for dygtig for mig.

I finally found J.P. poems in Danish. What do you think? A autobiography came out in 2017 in English about him, I saw.

Hvad syndes du om ham? Kan du lige nogen digte?

And “yay!” again! Har en gode dag! Tusinde tak for samtalen!

Reactions: c.hansen