AW Amazon Store

If this site is helpful to you,
Please consider a voluntary subscription to defray ongoing expenses.

Welcome to the AbsoluteWrite Water Cooler! Please read The Newbie Guide To Absolute Write

Thread: Nordland Publishing

Nordland Publishing

Did a quick search here and didn't find anything. Anyone know anything about them? A friend just signed with them so I got curious.

Link: http://www.nordlandpublishing.com/

They actually look pretty good, and they have some serious talent attached.

These days, I'm a bit...reserved about any publisher with a Norse or 'northlands' slant, because I want to check it thoroughly for neo-Nazi connections. But this group seems promising and delivering on good things. I'll be watching them for a couple more years.

This M/M space opera
    Blog: Blue Night
    Art and jewelry online at Etsy.

The covers are so so. They do have some reviews for their books on Goodreads. Amazon rankings are in the 2 million which isn't all that great.

Quote Originally Posted by Filigree View Post

These days, I'm a bit...reserved about any publisher with a Norse or 'northlands' slant, because I want to check it thoroughly for neo-Nazi connections. But this group seems promising and delivering on good things. I'll be watching them for a couple more years.
    Certainly there's nothing good about neo-Nazis, but I think this level of suspicion is a bit extreme, especially based on no other evidence than a name. I live in Minnesota, and all kinds of businesses are termed "Northland" or "Northstar" or "Nordic," because, well, we're in the north. To make the word/concept of "north" off-limits based on a handful of nuts is silly.
    Last edited by Clairels; 01-30-2017 at 02:10 AM.

The Blue Line, short story published in Oakwood 2017
    Read it free!

Princess of Pirates: How I Ran Away to Sea: A Memoir,
    represented by Olswanger Literary

Twitter

Instagram

No, but a Norse Asatru connection can be an indicator. It certainly wouldn't be my only data point, but it does inspire me to look deeper.

This M/M space opera

the world is at my command jennontheisland's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Clairels View Post
    Certainly there's nothing good about neo-Nazis, but I think this level of suspicion is a bit extreme, especially based on no other evidence than a name. I live in Minnesota, and all kinds of businesses are termed "Northland" or "Northstar" or "Nordic," because, well, we're in the north. To make the word/concept of "north" off-limits based on a handful of nuts is silly.
    I'm from Canada, which is even more North, and I strongly agree with the warning given above. Clearly this is more than "a handful of nuts" because they're kinda running the US gov't right now, and they've got all kinds of dogwhistles; references to nord / norse is only one.
    You are more than welcome to take anything I say personally, whether it was intended that way or not.

Eat This.

the world is at my command jennontheisland's Avatar
    No, but a Norse Asatru connection can be an indicator. It certainly wouldn't be my only data point, but it does inspire me to look deeper.
    The domain is registered to enom.inc
    https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/ENom
    You are more than welcome to take anything I say personally, whether it was intended that way or not.

Eat This.

banned as an incurable tosspot
    So are Nordic people bad? Because I'm marrying one and I'm black...

Quote Originally Posted by horrorchix89 View Post
    Why do you think that Nordic people are bad?

Quote Originally Posted by horrorchix89 View Post
    Filigree wasn't saying Nordic people are bad. She was saying that using the terms "North" or "Nordic" could be an indicator of neo-Nazi ties, and I feel that that is being overly suspicious/accusatory.

FWIW, this publisher was in place long before the recent U.S. election and is apparently not even based in the U.S. (in fact, it's based in Norway, which would sort of explain the name), so I still feel that this is really a stretch.

Obviously, you're free to verify or investigate anything you wish, but I don't feel it's useful to look for evil around every corner based on nothing more than a name.
    Last edited by Clairels; 01-30-2017 at 11:43 PM. Reason: clarification

The Blue Line, short story published in Oakwood 2017
    Read it free!

Princess of Pirates: How I Ran Away to Sea: A Memoir,
    represented by Olswanger Literary

Twitter

Instagram

banned as an incurable tosspot
    Filigree wasn't saying Nordic people are bad. She was saying that using the terms "North" or "Nordic" could be an indicator of neo-Nazi ties, and I feel that that is being overly suspicious/accusatory.

FWIW, this publisher was in place long before the recent U.S. election and is apparently not even based in the U.S. (in fact, it's based in Norway, which would sort of explain the name), so I still feel that this is really a stretch.

Obviously, you're free to verify or investigate anything you wish, but I don't feel it's useful to look for evil around every corner based on nothing more than a name.
    Thanks for the clarity. Sorry for the thread hijack.

Tending bar by the litterbox. Thomas Vail's Avatar
    Certainly there's nothing good about neo-Nazis, but I think this level of suspicion is a bit extreme, especially based on no other evidence than a name.
    Not really, no, unfortunately. Especially on the Europe side of things, white-supremacy groups have been making a big push to co-opt Nordic imagery, names, and themes for themselves. It is quite germane to double-check and make sure something isn't using a name or imagery as a subtle flag showing that they're part of the neo-nazi movement.

I think this level of suspicion is a bit extreme, especially based on no other evidence than a name. <<snip>> To make the word/concept of "north" off-limits based on a handful of nuts is silly.
    She was saying that using the terms "North" or "Nordic" could be an indicator of neo-Nazi ties, and I feel that that is being overly suspicious/accusatory.<<snip>>

To be fair, verifying is exactly what Filigree suggested. Words do become code for ideologies, and Nordic is a powerful one for the neo-Nazi movement - it appears in the news a fair bit at the moment. (Although, a quick check - which Filigree did - shows that that is not the connection here.)
    Last edited by mccardey; 01-31-2017 at 12:49 AM.

No, I do NOT think that Nordland is in any way connected to the S0n$ of 0d1n or Er1k Pr1nc3, or any other neo-nazi Christian theocratic whackjob. But those dogwhistles are in use with other publishers, and ignored at one's peril.

Research first and always, dear people.

This M/M space opera

New Fish; Learning About Thick Skin
    Hi Folks.

I am with Nordland, and I can assure you that we have no affiliations with anything Neo Nazi.

We are quite a new company, based in Norway (the North Land, hence Nordland) but as someone pointed out we have been around at least a little longer than this recent interest in things Pagan, etc.

We are a legitimate company, and believe that we do good work, but we are always striving to do better. Since I designed most of the covers, I will take that comment about them being so-so on the chin, but I am confident that with time my design abilities will improve, or I will simply hire someone better!

If you have any question, feel free to ask.
    Last edited by Hyperion; 02-01-2017 at 04:50 PM.

New Fish; Learning About Thick Skin
    Hey...

Not really sure what enom is, but nordlandpublishing.com is registered to me. Just FYI.