• This forum is specifically for the discussion of factual science and technology. When the topic moves to speculation, then it needs to also move to the parent forum, Science Fiction and Fantasy (SF/F).

If the topic of a discussion becomes political, even remotely so, then it immediately does no longer belong here. Failure to comply with these simple and reasonable guidelines will result in one of the following.
    1. the thread will be moved to the appropriate forum
    2. the thread will be closed to further posts.
    3. the thread will remain, but the posts that deviate from the topic will be relocated or deleted.
    Thank you for understanding.​

Human hand fine motor control may have evolved to squeeze and test ripe fruit

Alessandra Kelley

Sophipygian
Staff member
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.alessandrakelley.com
https://www.dartmouth.edu/press-releases/chimpanzee-hand-dexterity042216.html

This story is some months old, but I only just ran across it.

Thre is some evidence that the evolution of human's precision manual dexterity may be related to a habit of squeezing fruit to determine its ripeness. Chimpanzees use the familiar supermarket gesture to test figs, a common food source in areas where humans evolved, which gives them a speed advantage over birds and other primates which cannot squeeze the fruits to test them.

Chimpanzees use manipulative dexterity to evaluate and select figs, a vital resource when preferred foods are scarce, according to a new Dartmouth-led study just published by Interface Focus. The action resembles that of humans shopping for fruits, and the study demonstrates the foraging advantages of opposable fingers and careful manual prehension, or the act of grasping an object with precision. The findings shed new light on the ecological origins of hands with fine motor control, a trait that enabled our early human ancestors to manufacture and use stone tools.

[A]lthough ripe figs come in a range of colors, many stay green throughout development and every phase can be present on a single tree, making it difficult to discern solely by color, which figs are ripe. To determine if the green figs of Ficus sansibarica are edible, chimpanzees ascend trees and make a series of sensory assessments-- they may look at the fig's color, smell the fig, manually palpate or touch each fig (using the volar pad of the thumb and lateral side of the index finger) to assess the fruit's elasticity and/or bite the fig to determine the stiffness of the fruit. Colobus monkeys do not have thumbs and evaluate the ripeness of figs by using their front teeth.

Squeezing figs turns out to be about four times faster than any other method of evaluating their ripeness, giving an advantage to critters that can do it over those that can't.

veinglory

volitare nequeo
Self-Ban
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.veinglory.com
And according to someone else in the happy fields of evolutionary biology it might have evolved to make a good fist and punch each other in the face.

Brightdreamer

Just Another Lazy Perfectionist
Registered
Reaction score
Website
brightdreamersbookreviews.blogspot.com
Do traits ever evolve in a vacuum? Could be both...

"Okay, this one's ripe."

"Yuck - no, it's not."

"You saying I can't tell a ripe fig from an unripe fig?" *SMACK*

Roxxsmom

Beastly Fido
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Website
doggedlywriting.blogspot.com
Do traits ever evolve in a vacuum? Could be both...

"Okay, this one's ripe."

"Yuck - no, it's not."

"You saying I can't tell a ripe fig from an unripe fig?" *SMACK*

I was thinking the same thing, though my example would have been:

"Do you think this melon is ripe?"

"That's not a melon you a**wipe!" *SMACK*

veinglory

volitare nequeo
Self-Ban
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.veinglory.com
Based on the sex difference in facial reinforcement the fist theory suggests most of the punching was male on male, and rugged masculine good looks are a form of punch defense.

blacbird

Registered
Reaction score
I tried this on coconuts down at my grocery today, and it didn't work worth a damn. I think human hand dexterity evolved in order to pick up the slithery cat off your favorite sitting spot.

caw

Albedo

Alex
Registered
Reaction score
Based on the sex difference in facial reinforcement the fist theory suggests most of the punching was male on male, and rugged masculine good looks are a form of punch defense.
Working in ED, my patients mostly seemed to think that the human fist evolved to punch walls. They were wrong.