• Basic Writing questions is not a crit forum. All crits belong in Share Your Work

WHAT WAY TO WRITE DIALOGUE

Status
Not open for further replies.

POTATO91

Banned
Reaction score
I've seen so many threads about how to write dialogue but how to we actually type it down? do we leave a space?, leave a new line? etc.. i've seen many people on Wattpad press enter and leave a whole line for it but that is too space consuming. Louis sacher goes to the next line but thats too time consuming seeing as you have to hold the space bar and wait for it to get to the next line.
please answer and thanks

Bufty

Where have the last ten years gone?
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Not sure what your problem is, Potato91. Welcome. :welcome:

If you read novels that have dialogue- and most do- you will see how to type it.

What program are you using?

In Word you can set the paragraph parameters so a single Enter press puts you to a new paragraph.

Never used Wattpad.

POTATO91

Banned
Reaction score
HAHAAHHA WATTPAD XD. i use word 2016. my enter button puts a whole space under the paragraph example "below

John died.

"how could this...

is there a way i can change it too the example below?

john died.
"how could this...

thanks

Bacchus

Registered
Reaction score
HAHAAHHA WATTPAD XD. i use word 2016. my enter button puts a whole space under the paragraph example "below

John died.

"how could this...

john died.
"how could this...

thanks

Change to single line spacing? Looks like your font is double spaced (which is sometimes requested by agents)

Helix

socially distancing
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Website
snailseyeview.medium.com
If changing to single line spacing doesn't work, you can change the spacing between paragraphs. Go to Paragraph --> Indents and spacing ---> change spacing before/after to 0pt.

DancingMaenid

New kid...seven years ago!
Registered
Reaction score
The standard online is to have a space between paragraphs because that's what tends to show up best in web browsers. And formatting for things like indents don't always transfer from Word to internet applications. That's why sites like Wattpad are formatted differently than books.

The standard for print is generally to not insert a line between paragraphs but to instead indent the first line. Most books follow that format.

Honestly, reading plenty of books is a good way to get a sense of standard formatting. The only major difference is that manuscripts typically use double, rather than single, spacing.

KTC

Stand in the Place Where You Live
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Website
ktcraig.com
I've seen so many threads about how to write dialogue but how to we actually type it down? do we leave a space?, leave a new line? etc.. i've seen many people on Wattpad press enter and leave a whole line for it but that is too space consuming. Louis sacher goes to the next line but thats too time consuming seeing as you have to hold the space bar and wait for it to get to the next line.
please answer and thanks

Look at published books. Just read books to get acquainted with how stuff like this is done.

jjdebenedictis

is watching you via her avatar
Registered
Reaction score
Look at published books. Just read books to get acquainted with how stuff like this is done.
Yes, this. :) Put a novel off your shelf and have a look at how it's done.

JulianneQJohnson

Ferret Herder
Registered
Reaction score
Website
julianneqjohnson.com
Dancing Maenid described the difference between online archives and print writing very well. Online archives don't hold formatting indents, so writers have adapted to putting spaces between paragraphs. That's only good formatting for online archives. Word documents open in default to "paragraph normal" where normal means it automatically has a space between. You need the style "paragraph no space" to write in print format with paragraph indents.

On a side note, I almost didn't read your thread because of the all caps. Some folks don't like it. You might want to consider turning off the all caps next time. This is meant with the best of intentions, I know you are new to the forum. :welcome:

Last edited:

rwm4768

practical experience, FTW
Registered
Reaction score
Generally speaking, for a manuscript, you should use the No Spacing option in the Styles box up at the top of your Word document. Then you should double space the manuscript.

As for dialogue, it's actually pretty simple (at least at a basic level).

Keep actions and dialogue together.

Good Example: Joey slid down the hill. "Well, that was fun."

Bad Example: Joey slid down the hill. "Well, that was fun," Becky said.

Corrected Example: Joey slid down the hill.

"Well, that was fun," Becky said.

In the second example, you're shoving the actions of one character and the dialogue of another into the same paragraph. This is sloppy writing and can be difficult for the reader to decipher. By separating these into two paragraphs, you make it much clearer who is speaking.

Following from this, you should always make sure it's clear who's speaking. This is done through a combination of dialogue tags (Becky said), action tags (Joey slid down the hill), and character voice (that is, your characters should at times be distinctive enough to tell apart even without a tag).

Oh, and don't get fancy with dialogue tags. Said and asked are perfectly good dialogue tags (though some will argue against asked). An occasional use of a more creative dialogue tag is okay, usually to emphasize the way a character is speaking, but don't put them everywhere. We don't want your characters constantly screeching and barking and rasping.

POTATO91

Banned
Reaction score
Change to single line spacing? Looks like your font is double spaced (which is sometimes requested by agents)

how do i do that?

- - - Updated - - -

If changing to single line spacing doesn't work, you can change the spacing between paragraphs. Go to Paragraph --> Indents and spacing ---> change spacing before/after to 0pt.

Where is "paragraph"?

dpaterso

Also in our Discord and IRC chat channels
Staff member
Super Moderator
Registered
Reaction score
Website
derekpaterson.net
In Word, I switch between single spacing and double spacing by highlighting the document text (Ctrl+A or menu Edit > Select All) and then either Ctrl+1 for single spacing or Ctrl+2 for double spacing. Try that?

-Derek

POTATO91

Banned
Reaction score
From what I've learned, you start a new paragraph as a new person speaks. Not sure of what you're asking here.

So is this how you would go about writing? example below

BLKDJSEOIIWESJDSADOHDAOISHADOHISADOIHASDIASOHD.IIJJJJJJJJJJJJJJJJJJJJJJJJJJJJJJJJJJJJJJJJJJJJJJJJJJJJJJJJJJJJJJJJJJJJJJJJJJJJJJJJJJJJJJJJJJJJJJJJJJJJJJJJJJJJJJJJJJJJJJJJ.

"HWFU" BLA BLA SAID

JJJJJJJJJJJJJJJJJJJJJJJJJJSUQHIDHWUHU.

sorry for weird example.

POTATO91

Banned
Reaction score
Dancing Maenid described the difference between online archives and print writing very well. Online archives don't hold formatting indents, so writers have adapted to putting spaces between paragraphs. That's only good formatting for online archives. Word documents open in default to "paragraph normal" where normal means it automatically has a space between. You need the style "paragraph no space" to write in print format with paragraph indents.

On a side note, I almost didn't read your thread because of the all caps. Some folks don't like it. You might want to consider turning off the all caps next time. This is meant with the best of intentions, I know you are new to the forum. :welcome:

Oh ok and thanks for the welcome and side note

POTATO91

Banned
Reaction score
Ok, I've got the basics down now but is there a way I can got to the next line with one press of a button instead of going to a new paragraph?
sorry for so many examples but i'm a visual learner so...

what i want: ...He then looked at her.
"Why are you here?"

what im getting from my enter button: ...He then looked at her

"Why are you here?"

i would like it this way coz if i were to go to the next line by holding the space bar and then change the font it'll stuff up coz each font has different spaces and stuff. also i dont want to suck it up and just use the enter button and start a new paragraph coz thats too space consuming and i would much enjoy saving paper

thank you.

Bacchus

Registered
Reaction score
how do i do that?

The exact method may vary depending on what version of word, but it will be roughly the same. On the "Home" menu there should be a list of styles in the ribon. at the bottom right hand corner there is what looks like a little arrow pointing down and to the right, clicking this pops up the styles dialogue box. From here you can either select an existing style and edit it or create a completely new one with the little buttons at the bottom of the dialogue.

I created a "Novel" style which indents the first line of a paragraph and has single line spacing and a "Chapter" which formats my chapter headings as bold with two lines before and one after. Play around, you'll soon achieve what you want.

Roxxsmom

Beastly Fido
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Website
doggedlywriting.blogspot.com

John died.

"how could this...

john died.
"how could this...

thanks

Standard manuscript format calls for double spacing. To set up word so you go to a new line (spaced however you have it set up in the paragraph feature), use the ruler bar at the top to indent the first line by 1/2" at the start of a new paragraph. DON'T use tabs to indent. When you hit enter/return, it should automatically take you to the next line, indented a half inch.

http://theeditorsblog.net/2011/01/05/format-your-novel-for-submission/

http://firstmanuscript.com/proper-manuscript-format/

http://apocprod.com/blog/2012/01/28/standard-manuscript-novel-template-for-microsoft-word/

You don't format new paragraphs with dialog in them any differently than you would a paragraph without dialog. The hard and fast rule for writing dialog is a new speaker=new paragraph.

As for the basics of how to format and punctuate dialog specifically, checking out a recently published novel (I'm assuming you want to publish your novel in English, but if not, you'd have to look for examples in the language you want to publish in) should answer your question. This also covers most of the rules for dialog formatting and punctuation.

http://theeditorsblog.net/2010/12/08/punctuation-in-dialogue/

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.