• Guest please check The Index before starting a thread.

Deeds Publishing

DianeB

Registered
Reaction score
Anybody have any information about Deeds Publishing? They are in Georgia, have a nice website, and they also have a self-publishing arm. But they seem to be a traditional publisher. They won an IPPY a couple of years ago. I sent in a query yesterday, along with a synopsis and the manuscript. They publisher emailed me this morning and asked to have a phone conversation. I assume he wants to know whether I plan on marketing the book and how, but...wow. Should I be excited? What should I ask him?

Thedrellum

Grr. Argh.
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.patreon.com
Link: Deeds Publishing

Well, the website seems well-designed. The self-publishing arm seems clearly separated from the trade publishing arm, though I can't say whether they refer authors interested in the latter to the former. None of the principals seem to have any real book publishing experience. Some of the covers are good, some less so (in my opinion). I looked at the beginning of two of the novels on Amazon (strangely, not all of the books they sell are available as ebooks) and though I saw no major errors, they weren't all that well-written, definitely needing more editing (again, in my opinion).

I would take it as a bad sign that the publisher wanted to call you the day after you submitted to them. At the very least, that implies that they don't have a lot to keep them busy (most in publishing are buried under work).

As for what to ask, I'm not sure. About their marketing plan? How much editing they do? To look at a sample of the contract? How much they offer in terms of royalty, and whether they offer an advance?

It's okay to be excited whenever someone shows an interest in your writing, but don't let that excitement dictate your next movement. And realize that if your book is good enough to interest one publisher, it will likely be good enough to interest others (which is to say don't rush this because you feel it might be your only chance to get published).

Whatever you choose, though, good luck!

Not a Newbie

Registered
Reaction score
Was wondering if anyone has had any experience since 2017 with Deeds. There website offers very little by way of information. They claim they're a hybrid publisher and offer traditional, author-funded, and equal partnership publishing.

Thank you in advance if you've got information...

Reactions: Gramps

Maggie Maxwell

Making Einstein cry since 1994
Registered
Reaction score
Website
thewanderingquille.blogspot.com
Okay, did some digging...now I'm running away...very quickly.
Please, let us know what you found! That kind of information is exactly what these threads are for, and very valuable for helping others make informed decisions.

Not a Newbie

Registered
Reaction score
Oops, sorry. I found several reviews telling folks to avoid this publisher as they are scam artists. I always avoid any place that charges the writer anything...including a reading fee, so when I came across multiple reviews saying this was a scam, they want your money, they don't respond to emails, etc. I knew to beat feet out of there without looking back.

Reactions: Maggie Maxwell

mrsmig

Write. Write. Writey Write Write.
Staff member
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
From their website:

Deeds makes certain every author gets the experience that fits them and their book best, whether that be through traditional publishing, an author-funded endeavor, or an equal partnership.

I imagine the "experience that fits" depends on their authors' willingness to fund said experience.