W.S. Merwin: On Reading What You Want, Reading it Slowly, and The Beauty of Trees

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ari Meermans

MacAllister's Official Minion & Greeter
Registered
Reaction score
A link to a telephone interview with W. S. Merwin came across my Twitter feed this morning courtesy of Barbara R. (Thank you, Barbara!) There are worse ways to spend twenty-eight minutes than by listening to the audio of the interview, if you have the time. If not, the text of some of William Merwin's responses is well worth the read . . . slowly and contemplatively. And that's the thing for me, really, that contract between the writer and the reader. There is one, you know, and we often discuss the technical aspects of writing, but rarely do we touch on the reader's role. As writers, we read, too. But do we ever stop to wonder how our readers read? Do we skim and do we wonder how many of our readers also skim? But, most of all, I wonder if reading slowly and contemplatively is a dying art. I fear it is. Is it?

W.S. Merwin on losing the act of reading slowly…
I expect we are. If we are, we’re losing some extremely important part of our civilization, of who we are, something that will keep itself in our lives if we let it.

Last edited:

Sage

Supreme Guessinator
Staff member
Registered
Reaction score
I am not a good skimmer, but I'm also not a slow and contemplative reader. With a few exceptions, I read every word or else I don't absorb them, but I don't stop to think about the words creating that story (unless I'm in a mood to learn from it). I am a lover of the way the story goes down and who the characters are, but I rarely appreciate the beauty of the prose showing me those things. But I know readers who do read slowly and appreciate the words of the writer as much as, if not more than, the story. I see no problem with either way of appreciating a story.

mccardey

Self-Ban
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
One of the reasons I love Marilynne Robinson so much is the way she slows me down. I re-read her whenever I'm feeling too out of touch with my self or the world. She pulls me back gently to a more contemplative pace. It's not just her words or her characters, though they are wonderful: it's the depth she brings to them.

I'm off to listen to that interview, Ari - thanks for posting the link.

jjdebenedictis

is watching you via her avatar
Registered
Reaction score
I....can't read slowly. I mean, I do slow down when I'm trying to comprehend something dense and technical, but a story? As long as the prose is making sense, I read at the pace I read at. And I only skim when I'm trying to get information; I never skim a story I'm enjoying.

Possibly I'm just not reading books that are sophisticated enough, but even when I'm dug into something with really lovely prose, I just enjoy it as I go.

_lvbl

Registered
Reaction score
I am a firm believer that reading and exchanging stories are two things that cannot die.

AnthonyDavid11

Registered
Reaction score
I've actually been reading out loud some here lately. The very well written books sound great out loud. The lesser ones show what they're lacking. I must say that I NEVER SKIM. My feeling is that if I don't like the story or where it's going, I'll toss it aside. If I'm into it, I want every single word. I mean, what is the point of only reading part of it or skipping certain sections? I want the full experience. As far as slower reading, I'm all for it. You absorb more, but some may just read quickly. Every reader is different. At the same time, it's not only quick romances and fast-paced thrillers that fly off the shelves. The modern world is no doubt faster, but we're not at light speed yet. A lot of people still like to read to relax to even go to sleep. And I don't expect any book to move like a fast-paced TV show, movie or even comic book. Books are a totally different form of entertainment. I don't love reading about a single chair in a room for forty pages but I don't have to have 2-page chapters to intrigue me either. In the end, I think every reader is different and you have to write in the style that suits you. There are readers for slow, fast and medium out there.

Status
Not open for further replies.