Ghosts, Celebrity "novels", and social media bullying: another Guardian brouhaha

Status
Not open for further replies.

KateSmash

this was a triumph
Registered
Reaction score
It (Modelland) is as greatly terrible as you think it is. One of the true highlights of the YA dystopia tidal wave.

usuallycountingbats

Procrastinating on the net.
Registered
Reaction score

Alessandra Kelley

Sophipygian
Staff member
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.alessandrakelley.com
So here's a thing. Another piece got written. But because it's a) not attacking a specific author who happens to be part of a minority in publishing and b) not disguised as a book review, it isn't attracting the same amount of backlash at all.

Who'd have thought?

https://www.theguardian.com/books/2...driven-out-of-full-time-work?CMP=share_btn_tw

An interesting article, and not at all mean-spirited or poisonous.

(It's kind of reminding me of an old anecdote I once heard, though, about how tough times for writers are nothing new. I gather decades ago Larry Niven said on more than one occasion that he never would have been able to write if he didn't have a big trust fund to live off of. But maybe that's a subject for another thread.)

Cobalt Jade

Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
(It's kind of reminding me of an old anecdote I once heard, though, about how tough times for writers are nothing new. I gather decades ago Larry Niven said on more than one occasion that he never would have been able to write if he didn't have a big trust fund to live off of. But maybe that's a subject for another thread.)

He did? I never knew that. The secret lives of SF writers!

I know Frank Herbert did journalism work, F. Paul Wilson was a practicing physician. Leigh Bracket and Harlan Ellison did screenwriting. Some others support themselves with genre writing under different names.

The article has a point, though. OTOH, very few, I'd say almost none, of those celebrity books remain in print after the first year, unless it's a juicy, definitive autobiography, and they're usually the first books to get culled from library shelves. Has anyone seen a copy of Madonna's English Roses lately? No?

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.