Orcs as POV characters

Welcheren

Picking up tools, honing edges
Registered
Reaction score
Apart from Stan Nichols, I am not aware of anyone having done this across an entire novel - putting Warhammer's world aside for the moment.

As far as any of you know, is there an interest in fantasy fiction with a predominant Orc-based perspective?

DragonHeart

Oerba Yun Fang
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.thefinalfantasy.com
Grunts by Mary Gentle
The Goblin Corps by Ari Marmell
A Demon in the Desert by Ashe Armstrong
The Queen of the Orcs series by Morgan Howell
The Orc Saga series by Amalia Dillin
The Mermaid's Tale by D. G. Valdron
The Half-Orcs series by David Dalglish

There are more out there but that should get you started. :) There's definitely a place for them in the genre, provided you can bring something new and interesting to the table.

Welcheren

Registered
Reaction score
Excellent!

Thanks, DragonHeart. I look forward to getting started on these. I'll take the list from the top.

deafblindmute

Registered
Reaction score
Not a movie, but have you seen the Warcraft movie? The orcs were the best part of that story. For that matter, lots of Warcraft or Warhammer tie-in novels feature orcs as PoV characters. I might try publishing a short story about orcs some day, but I always am afraid using such widely used characters. I'd rather not come across as a DnD fanfic writer...unless Wizards of the Coast or Paizo wants to pay me for it. Then I'm incredibly enthusiastic about that prospect.

BethS

Registered
Reaction score
Apart from Stan Nichols, I am not aware of anyone having done this across an entire novel - putting Warhammer's world aside for the moment.

As far as any of you know, is there an interest in fantasy fiction with a predominant Orc-based perspective?

I don't know about orcs, but The Goblin Emperor is an excellent novel told entirely from the POV of a goblin.

Roxxsmom

Beastly Fido
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Website
doggedlywriting.blogspot.com
Jim C. Hines has a series of lbooks that center on Goblins. I've been meaning to read them but haven't gotten to them yet (I'll admit that the cover art makes them look a bit too cute for me), but they're fairly popular.

Mary Gentle has a book called Grunts, which is a satirical take on the LoTR tropes, with a group of orcs as the central characters.

I don't know about more serious novels, but of course the whole Warcraft world has orcs who are cast as sympathetic characters (for those of us who played the Horde, anyway), and there are a series of tie-in novels, many of which center on orc characters. These aren't Tolkien-style orcs, of course, as they have free will and a moral compass.

I suspect there are others, since we live in times when deconstructions of popular tropes and darker fantasy themes have become quite popular.

Last edited:

ManWithTheMetalArm

Has One Badass Arm
Registered
Reaction score
A good one that's just come out fairly recently is The Orc of Many Questions by Shane Michael Murray. I haven't read the full thing, but from the first few pages I've seen, it's entertaining. The premise is extremely interesting too, the story of a young orc who's extremely curious in world were the orcs live their lives just being the minions of a dragon, were asking questions is something they just don't do because things have always been just the way they are.

Welcheren

Registered
Reaction score
- The Goblin Emperor
- Unseens Academicals
- Orc of Many Questions

Awesome. Thanks, everyone. I will definitely add these to my list.
Having taken a look at the reviews, cover art, and blurbs for all the works mentioned so far, a pattern emerges in the way existing tropes are handled. That, in itself, offers directions for new ideas.

- Roxxsmom: I love the portrayal of Orcs in Warcraft III (lost touch after that).

So far, the pattern seems to centre on breaking the Orcs' primary role as unthinking minions, often by showcasing more noble attributes, which enable at least some of them to secure liberation.

Additinally, authors embroider the above with elements such as a human slave girl leading the revolt (Queen of the Orcs) or even Western-style gun slingers (A Demon in the Desert).

Last edited:

Welcheren

Registered
Reaction score
Great. Now I keep imagining Orcs riding orcas... with snorkels.

Curlz

cutsie-pie
Registered
Reaction score
Great. Now I keep imagining Orcs riding orcas... with snorkels.
Dorky orcs snorkelling for orkas ;)
I wanna see a story about an orc raised by elves and not noticing he's different, like in that movie, Elf :roll:

Welcheren

Registered
Reaction score
I've been thinking about this topic recently myself. Even drew an orc girl to try and stop myself from coming up with something.

This thread has given me more books to add for the future of my reading endeavors.

Gaining access to other members' reading lists and discovering books I would not have known of otherwise is one of my favourite features of AW.

Many of the books mentioned so far, seem to have a common root theme. Is that what's motivated your thoughts about Orcs?

- - - Updated - - -

I've been thinking about this topic recently myself. Even drew an orc girl to try and stop myself from coming up with something.

This thread has given me more books to add for the future of my reading endeavors.

Gaining access to other members' reading lists and discovering books I would not have known of otherwise is one of my favourite features of AW.

Many of the books mentioned so far, seem to have a common root theme. Is that what's motivated your thoughts about Orcs?

The Weaver

Registered
Reaction score
If your into video games, there are a few good choices that have what your're looking.

Elder Scrolls is definitely a mainstay. It lets you play as a orc and there are plenty of orc NPCs.

Shadowrun is a bit unusual in that orcs are a subspecies of humans and a cyberpunk/fantasy mashup

While this game is not finished I do find Tusks: The Orc Dating Sim to be a very interesting romp so far.

Welcheren

Registered
Reaction score
I dunno, I was trying to think of unconventional heroines in fantasy settings.

In western RPGs (like Skyrim) I wanted to create a female orc, but couldn't make her look right. ;_;

Well, do let me know if this idea develops any further and blooms into something you are willing to post on AW. Would love to see your ideas.

Love the Orc girl sketch.

Simpson17866

Registered
Reaction score
I myself have been working on an Urban Fantasy world with orcs for a few years now, but haven't read anything by other authors yet. I'll have to take a look at some of these :)

Scribe67

The Dude Abides
Registered
Reaction score
Came across this review, this weekend. Orcs in a historical fantasy, Viking setting. Sounds good!