Feedback for Mystery Suspense Cover (new in 38)

JulianneQJohnson

Ferret Herder
Registered
Reaction score
Website
julianneqjohnson.com
I'm working on a cover for Epublication. The book is an adult paranormal mystery. I have no budget for this project, so I'm working on it myself. This is my first stab at it. It's made from one of my own photos. Please let me know what you think work's or does not work. Thanks!

Last edited:

Marlys

Resist. Love. Go outside.
Registered
Reaction score
I don't care for the two different fonts in the title. But otherwise, it has a 1970s Gothic vibe that I rather like.

MaeZe

Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
I like the cover itself a lot.

I'm not a fan of invented words or spelling that might make a reader hesitate.

Wired
Word
?? How do you pronounce Wyrd?

I agree using two fonts in the title isn't great.

HaleeW

Registered
Reaction score
You could look into Gothic fonts as well. It would probably bring up some of the same as "Old English" style but I have learned that different search terms can bring up different fonts/pictures etc.

MaeZe

Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
I like the cover itself a lot.

I'm not a fan of [invented words] or [spelling that might make a reader hesitate].

Wired
Word
?? How do you pronounce Wyrd?

I agree using two fonts in the title isn't great.
Sorry, my bad on the parsing.

If Wyrd were an archaic word most people recognize, that would be different.

Anyway, don't take me too seriously, I'm just one little opinion in a sea of much more experienced writers. It wasn't criticism per se, it was my reaction seeing the word, Wyrd. That's all.

I like the idea of gothic font, something from the era the book is set in.

Last edited:

Loverofwords

Registered
Reaction score
I definitely like the cover itself and the mood it sets, but I also agree that I'm not a fan of the words. I don't like the color or that they're two different fonts. I like the font used for "Wyrd" much better than the one used for "House."

Hope something of this helps!

Southpaw

The squirrel apocalypse is coming!
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
The image works nicely. I, too, am not found of the font. I also don't think the title should overlap the tower.

Southpaw

The squirrel apocalypse is coming!
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
I definitely like the cover itself and the mood it sets, but I also agree that I'm not a fan of the words. I don't like the color or that they're two different fonts. I like the font used for "Wyrd" much better than the one used for "House."

Hope something of this helps!

Yeah, keeping Wryd and House the same font might be better.

Dragonairis

Registered
Reaction score
I like the font/spacing for the author's name better in take three. There seems to be a lot of empty space though below the title. I'm not sure what else you could possibly put there....

veinglory

volitare nequeo
Self-Ban
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.veinglory.com
I hate to be contrary but I prefer the first version. I think the title font and color in that version are very well balanced and harmonize with the image. The author name font could use a little finishing--IMHO a little bluer and less bold. Just my 2c.

Cindyt

Gettin wiggy wit it
Registered
Reaction score
Website
growingupwolf.blogspot.com
The original rocks. Love the image and color play. The title font works for me. The only thing I would add is a tag line or blurb in that empty space below the title.

MaeZe

Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
I like the image in post #10. But maybe move "Wyrd House" down a tad, not centered vertically, but a little lower than it is. It doesn't bother me if the title goes over the tower. I'm more of a balance composition person myself.

You do know you'll never please everyone, right? :tongue

Last edited:

JulianneQJohnson

Ferret Herder
Registered
Reaction score
Website
julianneqjohnson.com
Lol, I know! Everyone likes what they like, and that's how it should be. Still, I'm no graphic artist, so it's good to know it doesn't totally suck, and all advice given is helping me make stronger choices. I'm not sure I'm pleased with the title font yet, and I am seriously considering adding a tag line. I liked the font for "Wyrd" in the first try, but the H in that font is horrific. I'll keep playing, and I'm very grateful for all the help!

JulianneQJohnson

Ferret Herder
Registered
Reaction score
Website
julianneqjohnson.com
Take seven! Toned down sky slightly, added moon and a few stars, new font for title, added tag line. I'm pretty pleased with this one. It was good to see it with fresh eyes today.

cmhbob

Did...did I do that?
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.bobmuellerwriter.com
I like the tagline. I liked the deeper yellow in 13 as well as the font. I like the added stars, but I kind of liked the darker image in 13.

But you're much more talented at this than I am!

MysterySpot

Registered
Reaction score
So, I really loved that one:
Take seven! Toned down sky slightly, added moon and a few stars, new font for title, added tag line. I'm pretty pleased with this one. It was good to see it with fresh eyes today.

With the font colors on this one (For both the title and your name):
I have another try. Stronger color for title, new font for author name, added drop shadow.

Also I have to say the cover art is beautiful. If I saw it in a store, I'd definitely pick it up.

Last edited:

Curlz

cutsie-pie
Registered
Reaction score
I liked the first font for "wyrd", along with the use of two different fonts - that added to the idea of "weirdness", although I'm not sure what the actual book is. In that first version, the second font was not a great choice though, it was too "squat" and that was in discord with the tall/slim spire in the picture. The font for the author name was also too small in proportion. If those are fixed, the first version is most suited for a "scary" type of book.

In the following versions: Version in #13 made me think of lighthearted and sort of romantic book while version in #19 seemed more of a YA. They are both good, but give different vibe. The inclusion of a tagline is definitel a plus, but it takes away the "weirdness" and makes it more of a lighthearted read. So, depends what hint you'd want to send out. In the last version the font sizes and position of lettering are perfect. I like the general look of the book and I'd definitely pick it from a shelf. :Thumbs:

Last edited:

DarienW

Registered
Reaction score
Hi Julianne,

All the versions look pretty cool, though I agree on the first one's fonts and i don't like the yellow one. I'd say you're almost there! Very impressive!

I don't know how much you know about photoshop, but I know a lot. One suggestion would be to play around with that moon. Is it on a separate layer? If so, dupe and play around with making it bigger. The tangent with the D is a little awkward.

Also, I think you could lower the title closer to the tag line so it's more centered. Feels a little top heavy.

I love the vibe and color scheme! Really awesome shot! Great on you so far. I can't help thinking a little more stormyness in the sky might help pop the title and tag line more. I know an easy way to do so, but I won't bother with the blah-blah unless you want to try it. PM for details if you'd like to try. :)

Another thing you could play with is blurring the drop shadow some.

When you have your top selections, view them at the size they will be displayed on site and see which one pops most!

Hope this helps!

:Hug2:

JulianneQJohnson

Ferret Herder
Registered
Reaction score
Website
julianneqjohnson.com
Thanks everyone! I know not everyone agrees on which they like best, but that's part of the fun! Every single comment is giving me good things to think about. I know I've got a little more tinkering to do, but I feel I'm getting close!

Cmhbob- I think when I toned down the sky I accidentally lightened the edges. Thanks for the heads up, I like the darker too!

Cindyt- Thanks!

Curlz- I still have some tinkering to do with the title font. I liked the first 'Wyrd" as well, but I did not like the two different fonts, and that font had a sucky "H." I'll try for one a little more like that and a little less "Goosebumps." And it is a more lighthearted read, though it's a mystery. My writing style is more Buffy than Nosferatu. I think the tag is doing it's job.

MysterySpot- I liked the icy blue on the author name as well, but I think the majority did not.

Darien, I am a rank amateur at photoshop, lol. That moon is a filled in circle with some texture thrown over it. I've got some other tinkering to do, so I'll play with making it bigger. The other suggestions might be beyond me, but I'll look into blur on the drop shadow.