Feedback for Mystery Suspense Cover (new in 38)

DarienW

Registered
Reaction score
Moon looks great if that's so!!!

To blur drop, there's options in the layer effects (make sure you highlight the one that says DROP to see them.)

If it's copy of title, dupe and play with FILTER: Gaussian Blur

You can do it! :hooray:

Last edited:

JulianneQJohnson

Ferret Herder
Registered
Reaction score
Website
julianneqjohnson.com
Here we go again! Closer and closer we creep. This one, toned down the sky a tad without loosing the darkness. Bigger moon. Less precious font, and played with size and placement. I like this one. Oh, and I totally blurred the drop shadow. I'm fancy!

DarienW

Registered
Reaction score
It's looking good! Glad you got all fancy--I told you you could do it!!!

Here's where you can make a few alts with the different fonts, and see which pops the most. (you can copy the layer FX and paste on each one. I don't have photoshop open, and it's so automatic to me, but I think it's under LAYER at top, or a right click to find copy layer style, then paste layer style. You can also just dupe layer and change font.

I liked the precious font--LOL, but totally go with the one that pops!

If you want to get fancy again, dupe layer of art at bottom of file. Hit the symbol at bottom of layer palette that looks like a square with a dotted circle and hold alt. If it doesn't put a black square beside it, select new square and FILL with Black. Where it says NORMAL at top of layer palette, check drop down list and pick MULTIPLY. Where it says 100, try 20% or so. Then with a big, soft airbrush, paint in the black square with white behind the tag line. You can undo and try again if you're mousing it. (It's harder without a wacom tablet.)

I think just a bit of darkening there will help the tag pop. You can change the 20% after to whatever works.

Have some fun and get down with your bad self!!! :hooray:

JulianneQJohnson

Ferret Herder
Registered
Reaction score
Website
julianneqjohnson.com
Well, it looks like English. I'm certain it is English. Sorry, Darien, I only vaguely understand what you are talking about. I only recently figured out what layers are, and remain clueless as to the difference between the types. I am truly a beginner when it comes to PSP. I promise you that I will continue my journey of discovery on what all the bells and whistles do! I haven't even saved this in layers. I know! I never think to do that! I basically have a couple versions of the artwork saved, and start from there each time.

DarienW

Registered
Reaction score
Hee . . . I understand. Do try a version with layers though. Imagine it as each piece building up. If you've been making alts without layers, you'll quickly see how much flexibility it gives you. Just start with art, hit that square with the folded corner on the palette, and put your next move in the new layer.

You can hit that symbol over and over, change fonts, play with drops, and perhaps after that, the english will look clearer--LOL!!! I do tend to be brief in explaining. I'm sure it's me!!!

Great work for a novice! I'm super impressed!

:Hug2:

cmhbob

Did...did I do that?
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.bobmuellerwriter.com
Really like 27. And props to DarienW for the advice.

I can say from my limited experience with layers in GIMP that he's right. Using layers will be a huge help in any piece of artwork. It may take you a bit to wrap your head around it, but once you do, you'll be amazed.

Southpaw

The squirrel apocalypse is coming!
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
I'm really liking the latest version. I like that the moon is totally visible. I don't know about the tagline, but did a look up and sure enough most book do have them. If you keep it, I suggest nudging it up off the trees.

Dragonairis

Registered
Reaction score
I think the moon and stars are a great add, as well as tagline. Although I think I was the only one who had a problem with empty space. But if you want a moon, could you try getting a stock image and layering it in? That way you don't have to worry about it looking right when making it larger. Right now it looks good, but if you try and put just a circle over a real photograph (an awesome one btw) it will probably look out of place.

JulianneQJohnson

Ferret Herder
Registered
Reaction score
Website
julianneqjohnson.com
The jury is still out about the tag line. I'm not sure how I feel about it, but most digital books seem to have them. I've made two versions of take ten, one with and one without. I've also simplified it, and moved it to a more traditional placement.

This is the one with the tag.

Siri- Thanks!
Southpaw- great article!
Dragonairis- I think for now I like the look of the moon I "painted." It matches the painted look of the sky. I'm not sure I could layer an actual moon in there and get the same effect. Not with my limited skills.
Darien- Excellent advice as always, but I think I've reached my brain limit with the PSP skills for the time being. I need to play with what I've learned a bit before I go further. You rock!

DarienW

Registered
Reaction score
The tagline reads better over the dark area! Soon you'll be a photoshop Goddess!

DarienW

Registered
Reaction score
I agree with cmhbob on the new tag too. Leaves more mystery.

Great work!