What are your favorite paying markets and why?

Debbie V

Mentoring Myself and Others
Registered
Reaction score
I had some time today, so I decided to send some poems to paying markets. It's been a long time since I've sent any work geared toward adults out. I looked at my spreadsheet for potential markets for each poem and almost all the markets are gone. I'm feeling sad and discouraged. It gives a real sense that poetry for adults is dying. The markets thread here is pretty outdated too, which is why I started a new thread. (Mods, feel free to combine this with that one if I made the wrong choice.)

I have Room Magazine, The Pedestal, Poetry Magazine, and Great Weather for Media left. Admittedly my list wasn't very extensive to start with. None of the local publications I know of pay, and I am aware of a dozen or so. The Submission Grinder doesn't have a poetry option that I can find, so I'm feeling lost. And that brings me to the thread title: what are your favorite paying markets for your poetry and why?

(By paying, I mean I'll get at least $1 for my time and effort. It just makes me feel a little more legit. I in no way expect to earn a living from poetry.)

Last edited:

Debbie V

Registered
Reaction score
I'd forgotten about the listing on Poets and Writers. Feeling a little better today. It'd still be good not to have to research hundreds of publications or to have some opinions to support the research since you can only learn so much from the Internet and I can't read every publication out there. So, favorites and reasons are still welcome.

Smirkin

eating cookies late at night
Registered
Reaction score
Brain, Child magazine pays $25 for a poem. They are not accepting submissions right now though, but I think it will reopen.

Debbie V

Registered
Reaction score
Thanks, Smirkin. I'm also hoping they reopen, but the website doesn't list poetry. Have you sent them anything? I'd love to hear people's experiences with a magazine.

Smirkin

Registered
Reaction score
They accepted one poem of mine but it was several years ago. The experience was lovely but I am not very experienced with submitting much. They wrote me a nice personal email and mailed the check promptly.

Debbie V

Registered
Reaction score
Good to know. I have an essay I'd love to send them as well as a poem or two.

RaiscaraAvalon

Lost In The Realms
Registered
Reaction score
Website
raiscara-avalon.typepad.com
I'm interested in this as well, as a lot of places I've checked either don't have poetry listed or just plain don't accept poetry. Other than Poets & Writers I'm a bit lost. I'm still relatively new to the submitting game though.

Debbie V

Registered
Reaction score
I subbed some work to Christian Science Monitor and Confrontations this week. (It's a lit magazine of a university I intended as a graduate student and didn't know existed.) We'll see what I get back.

Smirkin

Registered
Reaction score
I am working up the courage to send a set to Poetry magazine. Because why not?