Iconic "Tunnel Tree" Collapsed

ElaineA

All about that action, boss.
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.reneedominick.com
A winter storm battered the iconic Pioneer Cabin sequoia, causing its collapse on Sunday. The tree was estimated to be over a thousand years old (I guess they may get a better handle on that now).

The 150-foot tree had sported its giant tunnel since the 1880s, when the landowners at that time carved into a fire scar at the tree’s base to create the tourist-attracting feature. Though the tunnel was eventually closed off to cars, it remained a renowned landmark for hikers.
I couldn't even look at the "after" photos. I remember being amazed by pictures of that tree when I was in grade school. I'm mortified I never went to see it in real life. :cry:

bombergirl69

Registered
Reaction score
That really makes me cry. So majestic. 1000 years! I just hate it.

MaeZe

Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
A winter storm battered the iconic Pioneer Cabin sequoia, causing its collapse on Sunday. The tree was estimated to be over a thousand years old (I guess they may get a better handle on that now).

I couldn't even look at the "after" photos. I remember being amazed by pictures of that tree when I was in grade school. I'm mortified I never went to see it in real life. :cry:
That's sad. I think I have a picture somewhere of my grandparents driving through the tree before they closed the road going through it. I love the redwoods and there is nothing like Sequoia National Park.

Silva

saucy
Registered
Reaction score
Website
twitter.com
Hah. I wanted to stop and see it last time we drove through the redwoods, but our car battery had died and we were having to park on a hill/pushstart every time we stopped, so we didn't bother. Now I kind wish we had anyway.

Frankie007

Registered
Reaction score
that's very sad. however, with all this technology and smarts....can't we do something? you'd think we'd be able to glue it back together....if it just simply fell over....