• Guest please check The Index before starting a thread.

Caliburn Press / Spero Publishing

JL_Benet

writer/teacher
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.jlbenet.com

the bunny hugger

practical experience, FTW
Registered
Reaction score
They appear in the Eternal and Damnation threads as having taken over both publishers, and not in a way that causes all authors to sing their praises. For example, allegedly having books on sale they do not have the rights to.

mrsmig

Write. Write. Writey Write Write.
Staff member
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
This, from their site, just seems weird:

Our first product, "Religion Laid Bear," speaks briefly of the tragedies that humans inflict on bears. We are committed to combating the needless suffering of these amazing animals. A portion of the proceeds of "Religion Laid Bear" will be donated to organizations which rescue and rehabilitate abused bears. We will also accept donations to be sent on to these charities; please send a check or money order to "Donations", care of Spero Publishing, PO Box 8747 Madison WI 53708.

So in addition to publishing and providing publishing services (which seems to be their bread and butter), they're also accepting donations on behalf of unnamed bear re-hab organization(s)? (You're supposed to make your check out to "Donations.)

This just seems really off to me.

PVish

Cat hair collector
Registered
Reaction score
Website
peevishpen.blogspot.com
They even sell ads in the backs of their books!
Spero's books and other products are being marketed globally. That means that your website address, tucked into the back matter of one or more of our products, can also be seen worldwide.
Only $10 for a 100-word blurb (plus your website or email) in an e-book, and only $15 to put the same info into a paperback. [FONT=Lucida Grande, Lucida Sans, Verdana, Arial, sans-serif]Yeah, I'll bet readers can't wait to get to the "back matter" [insert sneer of sarcasm here].[/FONT]

ctripp

Christine Tripp
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.christinetripp.com
[FONT=Helvetica, Arial, sans-serif]It might be helpful if all the imprints being discussed [/FONT][FONT=Helvetica, Arial, sans-serif]separately here were to be listed under the [/FONT]Caliburn Press name in one thread?

ctripp

Christine Tripp
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.christinetripp.com
Agree, Spero's is a strange site. Clicking on the few book covers leads you to Lulu or Smashwords. There are pages that hold "short stories" by the owner, to quote,
Another piece of brilliance from the mind of Alan Leddon
Then a page where you can order: Editing, Ads, flyers made.
I can't tell what they are really.
On Caliburn's site their Editing is pricey but you can get cover art for only $75. This includes 3 rounds of art for your approval. I'm cringing!

CaoPaux

Mostly Harmless
Staff member
Super Moderator
Registered
Reaction score
Only activity since '16 has been one of their cover artists posting reviews on Eternal and Damnation books. Anyone have recent contact?

JinxVelox

Registered
Reaction score
No recent contact, because with them taking over Eternal and Damnation, everything went downhill and I left the group. It wasn't worth it to stay, watch the back and forth, see promise after promise about books that would get published, and constant reminders that if someone wanted to pull their unpublished book out of rotation, they'd have to pony up hundreds of dollars to get their rights back.

The long and short of it is, stay away. If anyone thought there would be more stability when Leddon, et al took over Eternal and Damnation, those hopes were dashed pretty quickly.

I'd recommend avoiding all names associated with Caliburn.