Packets of Poems for Publication

Yportne

Registered
Reaction score
What is your criteria for selecting packets of poems for submission to on-line or print magazines?

veinglory

volitare nequeo
Self-Ban
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.veinglory.com
Normally I do this based on what is most suitable for the publication, and what goes together as a harmonious set.

Yportne

Registered
Reaction score
Thanks. Yes, the publication itself is of course the context for the set. But I'm looking for ways to select poems that contrast enough with each other to... 1) Show my range as a poet; 2) Make it more likely that at least one would meet an editor's requirements; 3) Satisfy "harmonious" in ways I haven't yet learned?

There's blogs on this subject of course, but most are too general to be of any value as criteria. At least that's how I've interpreted them. And there are so many ways to select poems for submission--subject, tone, levels of ambiguity, layers of meaning, and so on. In the past, I'd submit one poem to a literary magazine. It was either published or rejected, won the contest or lost. Things are different now.

And thanks for the term "set." Lots better than "packet" :)

Debbie V

Mentoring Myself and Others
Registered
Reaction score
First I meet the criteria for the publication. Some are very broad though. Next I look at the poems I still have available. I ask which are my best, which fit best, and which have a common theme or otherwise could be grouped. I just sent six with women's voices, two from my own memories. I moved out from myself in the arrangement. Of course, the editor may not read in order. Also, I have no idea of this method will work.