Wanting to use others' words in a new thread post

Status
Not open for further replies.

Joseph Schmol

shaken & stirred
Registered
Reaction score
Hello.

Recently I followed an AW member's signature line link to an interesting blog post on, very roughly speaking, what constitutes a working writer. I shared the link/post with a poet friend of mine who emailed me a stirring rebuttal. To my eyes, the combination of the two disparate viewpoints, side by side, is stunning.

I would like to start a new thread, with both posts in their entirety. Presumably permission would be needed? The poet said his words were now my words, his gift to me and to where I would display them. Which leaves the AW member. Even though his signature link directs a reader to his post, he would need to actually post the words, or might a PM granting his approval be sufficient? I would certainly attribute both writers' content.

I think this is a topic rife for discussion, and these two viewpoints offer an excellent beginning.

Also, which AW Forum do you suppose?

Cindyt

Gettin wiggy wit it
Registered
Reaction score
Website
growingupwolf.blogspot.com
If somebody shared my work here or anywhere they would be in deep dooky. In fact, I just had an experience with something like that last month with a newspaper correspondent who posted my blog article under "staff writer."

Joseph Schmol

shaken & stirred
Registered
Reaction score
If somebody shared my work here or anywhere they would be in deep dooky. In fact, I just had an experience with something like that last month with a newspaper correspondent who posted my blog article under "staff writer."

Did you miss the part where I said it would be with the writer's permission, and attribution?

Southpaw

The squirrel apocalypse is coming!
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Your friend gave you permission; post it. If it's merely an opposing view, you can leave a link to the article--as long as what you post doesn't defame or criticize the other author in any way.

If you're unsure, best to ask the boss.

Last edited:

MisterV

Banned
Reaction score
Aside from possibly ticking someone off, technically it's not illegal. If it's a blog post, it's been made public. That means it can, for the most part, be made public other places with a citation. Am I wrong? Correct me if so.

Cindyt

Gettin wiggy wit it
Registered
Reaction score
Website
growingupwolf.blogspot.com
Did you miss the part where I said it would be with the writer's permission, and attribution?
You said "Presumably permission would be needed?" Sorry.

Aside from possibly ticking someone off, technically it's not illegal. If it's a blog post, it's been made public. That means it can, for the most part, be made public other places with a citation. Am I wrong? Correct me if so.
No. It's called intellectual property and unless you have permission you cannot reproduce it.

MisterV

Banned
Reaction score
You said "Presumably permission would be needed?" Sorry.

No. It's called intellectual property and unless you have permission you cannot reproduce it.

My bad. It's just that I see people quote stuff from the news and other people's websites all the time. It doesn't seem like copying the post, since it's been made public, albeit not in the public domain.

Mentioning that someone posted something, discussing it and then linking to it is of course fine. Whether or not it's in bad taste will be a different issue, I suppose.

Chris P

Likes metaphors mixed, not stirred
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
This really is a question for the site admins. Send a private message (PM) to anyone listed as a moderator and they should route it to the right people.

I can't comment on the legality, but as a member here I held my breath reading your post. Even though we post links to other websites all the time and discuss the content, something struck me as off about posting two pieces from two different blogs (neither of which is AW) in their entirety and discussing them. Perhaps it's just because I've not seen it done, I don't know. Ignore me if I'm erring on the side of paranoia :)

Old Hack

Such a nasty woman
Super Moderator
Absolute Sage
Registered
Reaction score
Hello.

Recently I followed an AW member's signature line link to an interesting blog post on, very roughly speaking, what constitutes a working writer. I shared the link/post with a poet friend of mine who emailed me a stirring rebuttal. To my eyes, the combination of the two disparate viewpoints, side by side, is stunning.

I would like to start a new thread, with both posts in their entirety. Presumably permission would be needed? The poet said his words were now my words, his gift to me and to where I would display them. Which leaves the AW member. Even though his signature link directs a reader to his post, he would need to actually post the words, or might a PM granting his approval be sufficient? I would certainly attribute both writers' content.

If you were to do it, remember you can't quote entire blog-posts here. You have to respect fair use.

And if the AW member who wrote the piece wanted to put it onto AW they would have. They want the discussion on their blog, so I suggest you and your poet-friend continue the discussion there.

You didn't say that.

But even if you had, your comment would be on the edge of appropriate.

I strongly suggest you read The Newbie Guide To Absolute Write in its entirety right now, and cut back on the snark. Thanks.

cornflake

practical experience, FTW
Registered
Reaction score
My bad. It's just that I see people quote stuff from the news and other people's websites all the time. It doesn't seem like copying the post, since it's been made public, albeit not in the public domain.

Mentioning that someone posted something, discussing it and then linking to it is of course fine. Whether or not it's in bad taste will be a different issue, I suppose.

Quoting something, especially something designed for distribution, like a newspaper article, is wholly different from reproducing said thing, even if it is a newspaper article with attribution. You'll notice when people mention an article, they usually link and put up a representative quote, NOT the whole article.

Just because something is posted online doesn't mean it's fair game, in any way. "Been made public" is not a thing. That's like 'well, so-and-so posted this pic publically, on Twitter, so I can use it, right?

MisterV

Banned
Reaction score
Quoting something, especially something designed for distribution, like a newspaper article, is wholly different from reproducing said thing, even if it is a newspaper article with attribution. You'll notice when people mention an article, they usually link and put up a representative quote, NOT the whole article.

Just because something is posted online doesn't mean it's fair game, in any way. "Been made public" is not a thing. That's like 'well, so-and-so posted this pic publically, on Twitter, so I can use it, right?

Well, that's why I said, "albeit not in the public domain." Things on my blog have been made public. But they're not in the public domain. People can't copy my entire post and put it somewhere else, even with a cite. But they can post a snip to show what it's about and link to the rest.

Status
Not open for further replies.