Question about proper placement of a period

TravelHat

Forever learning
Registered
Reaction score
I am writing a factual article, specifically on stamps.

Here is the sentence -

In 1915, postal authorities began overprinting Australian stamps “N.W. PACIFIC ISLANDS.”.

My questions is this. Usually you place the period at the end of a sentence inside a quotation. However, the quotation is an exact quote of how the overprint is printed on the stamp, including the periods. So, is it now proper to place a period at the end of the sentence on the outside of the quotation mark as I have done above?.

Thanks
Michael

Curlz

cutsie-pie
Registered
Reaction score
This is not a quotation, it's a name put in quotes, so no full stop inside those quotes.

TravelHat

Forever learning
Registered
Reaction score
Actually it is a quotation - I am quoting exactly what is printed on the stamp.

If I were just stating the name of the place, it would be Northwest Pacific Islands.

Roxxsmom

Beastly Fido
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Website
doggedlywriting.blogspot.com
Since your location is Florida, I assume you're asking about US preferred style, not UK. In the US, as I understand it, the most common convention is to always put the period inside the quotes, whether or not it's an actual sentence being quoted that the period is a part of. In the UK, the quotes would go outside in cases where the period isn't closing a quoted sentence. Adding to the confusion for US writers, question marks follow the same rules as they do in the UK, only going inside quotes if the quoted material is itself a question.

So in the US:

The sheriff said, "All efforts will be made to find any survivors."

and

My favorite novella this year was "Binti."

in the UK (as I understand it), the second sentence would generally be written:

My favorite novella this year was "Binti".

Honestly, the UK rule makes more sense to me, but I'm pretty sure most US copy editors would change it if a writer uses the UK approach. Chase or someone else who works as an editor, please come and tell me I'm wrong if I am.

Last edited:

TravelHat

Forever learning
Registered
Reaction score
Thanks Roxxsmom

Actually, you solved my immediate problem (even though I am in the US, the article will appear in a UK Magazine).

However, all three periods in the quote remain an important part of the quotation, so at least for my use, the example I gave in my initial post is what I submitted.

But, the question still remains. How would I do this using US style, without causing confusion. (e.g. understanding that the period is part of the quotation).

Michael

Roxxsmom

Beastly Fido
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Website
Thanks Roxxsmom

Actually, you solved my immediate problem (even though I am in the US, the article will appear in a UK Magazine).

However, all three periods in the quote remain an important part of the quotation, so at least for my use, the example I gave in my initial post is what I submitted.

But, the question still remains. How would I do this using US style, without causing confusion. (e.g. understanding that the period is part of the quotation).

Michael

I think in the US, writers and readers simply rely on context to know which it is. I've been reading non fiction articles and books all my life, and I can't recall ever being confused by period placement while reading quoted material.

SWest

In the garden...
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.etsy.com
You are telling the reader that N.W. PACIFIC ISLANDS. (including the third period) is the postal revision in question?

The magazine editor no doubt will make a final decision vis-a-vis readability and house style, but in the U.S. you would not need a final period.

In 1915, postal authorities began overprinting Australian stamps “N.W. PACIFIC ISLANDS."

eta: If you feel it's too ambiguous, you may have to consider a rewrite.

Postal authorities began overprinting Australian stamps “N.W. PACIFIC ISLANDS." in 1915.

Last edited:

Bufty

Where have the last ten years gone?
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
But how, if a final period is not needed, would I know the period is actually part of the quote?

I'm a Brit, so the issue wouldn't arise in our version. :snoopy:

You are telling the reader that N.W. PACIFIC ISLANDS. (including the third period) is the postal revision in question?

The magazine editor no doubt will make a final decision vis-a-vis readability and house style, but in the U.S. you would not need a final period.

In 1915, postal authorities began overprinting Australian stamps “N.W. PACIFIC ISLANDS."

eta: If you feel it's too ambiguous, you may have to consider a rewrite.

Postal authorities began overprinting Australian stamps “N.W. PACIFIC ISLANDS." in 1915.

Last edited:

SWest

In the garden...
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.etsy.com
But how, if a final period is not needed, would I know the period is actually part of the quote?

I'm a Brit, so the issue wouldn't arise in our version. :snoopy:

Good morning! :greenie

Heh. Yeah, it's confusing when you sit and look at it. But basically, the structure of the next sentence/paragraph provides context (which you don't really think about consciously as a reader when you're used to it as your standard).

I'm guessing you would need to end with a period outside of the quote? (So then more likely house style for this pub?)

TravelHat

Forever learning
Registered
Reaction score
If you feel it's too ambiguous, you may have to consider a rewrite.

Thanks, although already submitted with the second peiod, your idea of the rewrite would indeed make it more clear.

Michael

MaeZe

Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Since your location is Florida, I assume you're asking about US preferred style, not UK. In the US, as I understand it, the most common convention is to always put the period inside the quotes, whether or not it's an actual sentence being quoted that the period is a part of. In the UK, the quotes would go outside in cases where the period isn't closing a quoted sentence. Adding to the confusion for US writers, question marks follow the same rules as they do in the UK, only going inside quotes if the quoted material is itself a question.

So in the US:

The sheriff said, "All efforts will be made to find any survivors."

and

My favorite novella this year was "Binti."

in the UK (as I understand it), the second sentence would generally be written:

My favorite novella this year was "Binti".

Honestly, the UK rule makes more sense to me, but I'm pretty sure most US copy editors would change it if a writer uses the UK approach. Chase or someone else who works as an editor, please come and tell me I'm wrong if I am.

I use the UK rule. Like you, it makes more sense to me. If I have an editor who changes it, it won't bother me.

Re the OP, I don't know of any circumstances that would use 2 periods, one inside and one outside the quote. That's something that looks very odd to my eye.

Roxxsmom

Beastly Fido
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Website
Thanks, although already submitted with the second peiod, your idea of the rewrite would indeed make it more clear.

Michael

Then if it's accepted, it will be a matter for the copy editor to advise on, I think. I've never seen a published work with two terminal punctuation marks for one sentence, personally, even with quotations.

TravelHat

Forever learning
Registered
Reaction score
Then if it's accepted, it will be a matter for the copy editor to advise on, I think. I've never seen a published work with two terminal punctuation marks for one sentence, personally, even with quotations.

They always tweak my grammar and spelling to fit UK standards anyway. Also, since it's for a monthly column I've been writing for a few years, I'm not worried about acceptance.

Cheers