• Read this stickie before posting.

• In order to reduce the number of new members requesting a Beta reader before they're really ready for one, we've instituted a 50 post requirement before you can start a thread seeking a Beta reader.
    • You can still volunteer to Beta for someone else; just please don't request someone to Beta for you until you're more familiar with the community and our members.

CP/BR for Urban Fantasy to test grammar consistency

Status
Not open for further replies.

mahominz

Registered
Reaction score
Hello, everyone, I'm an aspiring author who's self-published a couple of books in my native language (Spanish) and I've been working to translate said books myself to english (which I've already done, I'm just going through revisions), but since I'm clearly not a native speaker, I can't help but have second thoughts about some idiomatic expressions that could fit better and grammar consistency, so that's why I'm looking for help to test the translation, whether for beta reading or a critique partner to swap.
The book genre is urban fantasy (working also on a comic of it) and it's quite long, above 300,000 words, which is why I would be providing single chapters to not overwhelm anyone.
The story is about a girl who's new in town and after an awful first day of school she's hit by a car and later that night she starts hearing a voice that identifies as her guardian angel and tells her she's going to be facing demons soon and has to fight against them. So the first chapters are basically about her trying to hide her new way of life from her family and everyone else and eventually more characters join, problems ensue and the secrets and mysteries increase as the story evolves. Just a rough summary without going into much detail.

Tsu Dho Nimh

Registered
Reaction score
My specialty ... turning English written by non-native speakers into something resembling native English.

Send me the first few chapters (IM for my email address) and I'll send them back with the problems marked up so you can see how close you are.

mahominz

Registered
Reaction score
Hi, everyone!

A few months ago I was looking for proof readers for the translation of my own book to check on the syntaxis and grammar issues. I found the help I needed and worked on it, fixed some other things and chopped off a lot of stuff. So, I would like to ask now for people to beta read the first ten chapters, since those are the ones I'm never entirely pleased with.
It's 63K and I hope someone is interested. If you're a writer and have a book of your own, I could also take a look at it.

Thanks for your time!

Status
Not open for further replies.