• Basic Writing questions is not a crit forum. All crits belong in Share Your Work

What's a filter?

R.T James

Street urchin with a top hat.
Registered
Reaction score
What's a filter?

A question I had rotting on my mind until I found this..

Disclaimer I have nothing to do with this website I just found it as the first google hit!

http://robbgrindstaff.com/2011/07/do-you-filter-your-fiction/

I feel this article does a wonderful job of explaining something I heard thrown around on here, but had no REAL idea what it was being talked about. To be brutally honest, I never heard of a filter until I came to this place. I figured this may help out other newbies who have no clue what's going on.

Signed,

Mr. James

PS: Also if the elders of this great forum could also explain filterism it may help us measly uneducated peasants!:ROFL:

Chris P

Likes metaphors mixed, not stirred
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
I've read several threads here on filtering, and learned a lot from them. Although I noticed it sometimes, I didn't know what it was called until I read those threads.

Like any technique in writing, it has its place. Basically, as a reader if I don't notice it, it works. When I do notice it, it doesn't work. As a writer, I use it very little and nobody has yet asked for more ("You know what you need here? Some FILTERING!). The hard part is knowing if and in what circumstances it will work for the readers. I don't have a simple formula for that, unfortunately.

Dragonairis

Registered
Reaction score
Thanks RT! That was probably going to be one of my next newbie questions. Now that I know what it is, I'm going back over my work to see how bad it is. ;)

You know what you need here? Some FILTERING!

I lol'd. I hope you write just like that.

Bufty

Where have the last ten years gone?
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Filtering per se is not criminal but excessive filtering can be intrusive and weaken the POV.

It's usually a lack of understanding of POV that is the root cause of excessive filtering.

If you are in someone's POV (say Third Person Limited using George) it is not necessary to keep telling me George saw this or felt that or heard this etc.. That is the narrator explaining to me that George is feeling or seeing or hearing something, but if I know the story is being told using George's POV it is not necessary to 'filter' his actions and observations through yourself (the narrator) like that.

If I know I'm in George's POV then I also know everything that is mentioned must be either heard or seen etc., by George because unless and until George hears or sees or otherwise becomes aware of something it cannot be mentioned at all.

Stating what was heard is usually perfectly sufficient of itself without the filtering preamble of - George heard.... In George's POV, George must have heard it .

Filtering of itself is just another tool -but one should be aware when one is using it because careless and excessive filtering can be intrusive and distancing and weaken the POV.

ETA. There is a Google Custom Search box to the left at the bottom of these posts and below the Bookmarks Box. Pop any phrase in there such as 'What's filtering?' or 'What does Filtering mean?- and a whole list of relative threads will pop up. The higher the reference number- the more recent the post. It's a helpful little tool to quickly check something.

R. T James A question I had rotting on my mind until I found this..

Disclaimer I have nothing to do with this website I just found it as the first google hit!

Last edited:

Maryn

Baaa!
Staff member
Super Moderator
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Excellent post, Bufty. (I've come to expect no less!)

I've shared this in many places. Once more with feeling.

Filtering occurs when the author tells the reader which of the senses the character used to gain information, or that s/he used the brain to reach conclusions, find correlations, etc. In good writing, the author trusts the reader to figure out a character knows there was a sound because she heard it, rather than telling the reader she heard it.

If the author filters everything through the point of view character, it creates psychic distance between what the character experiences and the reader. The sense of immediacy, of the reader feeling as if he's right there experiencing the scene as it happens, is diminished.

Instead of the author sharing the means by which the character experienced whatever she did, the author should cut directly to the experience, making it the subject of the sentence rather than the character (or a representative pronoun) being the subject. (Note that in first person narrative, removing filtering also removes a substantial use of the word "I," with considerable improvement.)

Filtering is the difference between
Susan heard the door creak. She wondered who was there. She noticed the scents of lavender and dust in the still air. “Grandma?” she said. She felt her heart race.
and
The door creaked. Who was there? Lavender and dust scented the still air. “Grandma?” Susan's heart raced.

That’s 30 words versus 17, and filtered-through-Susan distance versus immediacy.

Filtering can usually be spotted by the words that do it, although not all uses of these words are filtering. Search for knew, thought, considered, regarded, wondered, noticed, was aware, sensed, felt, saw, hoped, realized, smelled, heard and it seemed, looked like, appeared, was obvious/apparent. Decide on a case-by-case basis whether it's there to filter the point-of-view character's experience, and if it is, rewrite it.

Maryn, who will discuss furnace filters at a later time

R.T James

Registered
Reaction score
Filtering can usually be spotted by the words that do it, although not all uses of these words are filtering. Search for knew, thought, considered, regarded, wondered, noticed, was aware, sensed, felt, saw, hoped, realized, smelled, heard and it seemed, looked like, appeared, was obvious/apparent. Decide on a case-by-case basis whether it's there to filter the point-of-view character's experience, and if it is, rewrite it.

Maryn

That's a lovely hit list to bring a sniper rifle out on Maryn. The biggest issue I've had when starting off with filtering was even realizing I was filtering from the get go. Now I have a vague sense of what is going on.

A way I look at it (Correct me if I am wrong) is you want to be in the passenger seat, and not in the back of a rolls royce being chauffeured around by a posh old man with a peak cap on.

In the passenger seat you get a front view of everything that is going on. You're not driving the car but you're pretty damn close.

So when your mate in his crappy 1983 grande marquis hits the random pedestrian at 1:25 am you the get the full show.

The crunch of something horrible as the vehicle bounces up into the air followed by the loud screeching of tyres when the brakes lock up. The front end inches away from the ditch. The scent of burnt rubber twisting your stomach into knots. Your grasp your chest as the fear of what just happened truly sinks in.

"What do we do! Oh my god! I just hit somebody!" He panics as he latches onto your body, "What do we do!?"

Versus.

The window rolls down silently.
"Excuse me sir it seems I have hit a peasant. There was a loud thump and the front wheels went up. Do you want me to pull over and scrape them off of the bonnet?"

Which you just say, "Yes."

The second one is what I take away is filtering. Not the actual writing. I know I used filtering in the first example ( I do not see how one can not when telling somebody they feel this and that.), but the impact. The second one you feel nothing where as the first example you're crapping your pants and imagining time behind bars while your friend is hyperventilating with the realization his insurance won't cover this and will probably total out his car.

A crazed example without actually explaining anything! :hooray:

Signed,

Mr. James

MisterV

Banned
Reaction score
Furnace filters? I LOVE FURNACE FILTERS

Really. I have a reusable one. Send me a PM for the info.

For me, I have a problem using filtering phrases. I think I avoid them pretty well, for the most part, unless I'm writing at midnight and can't see my computer anymore. Then I start saying stupid stuff like, "He looked a the mirror and then he smelled the roses and then he felt the cushion and then he..." Backspace backspace backspace

But I have a few questions. What about when you say someone noticed something. It seems like I do that a lot. Here's a quick example from my writ: "Tim noticed with apprehension their feet clad in wicked looking metal talons." That sounds like a filtering phrase, because I'm telling them what Tim notices, instead of just pointing out the wicked looking metal talons. But I also threw apprehension in there, which is why I personally think this is fine as is, unless someone has a better suggestion.

Sage

Supreme Guessinator
Staff member
Registered
Reaction score
Ah, but MrV, you could show Tim's apprehension, rather than telling it. What is his actual reaction to those metal talons? While we're at it, what makes them so "wicked-looking"?

R.T James

Registered
Reaction score
Back from an editing spree which resulted in me picking up my collection of Jim Butcher's dresden files books to stop my brain from melting and leaking out of my ears.

I have noticed there is quite a lot of I' in Jim Butcher's work, and things which appear to be filters at first glance.

I also know Jim Butcher is a published author and I am moron peasant with no literary accomplishments under my belt, but I can't help but look at his work and scratch my head. Are filters really the bane of all existence to the point where we must purge them from the face of this world? Or am I just really stupid.

I mean does anybody here also have a copy? Because maybe I am being stupid. Or I am taking this the wrong way? I just feel stupid and overwhelmed.

Signed,

The confused and possibly abused.

Mr. James.

MisterV

Banned
Reaction score
Ah, but MrV, you could show Tim's apprehension, rather than telling it. What is his actual reaction to those metal talons? While we're at it, what makes them so "wicked-looking"?

Well, I'm still working on the whole 'show vs. tell' thing as well. So per your suggestion, this is what I come up with. Honestly, I don't know that it actually sounds any better, just to remove a filter...

The fact that their feet were clad in metal armor that held a wickedly sharp talon affixed to each appendage caused him apprehension.

Thanks,
MrV

Helix

socially distancing
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Website
snailseyeview.medium.com
No one has said that filters are "the bane of all existence to the point where we must purge them from the face of this world".

But being aware of them and understanding their distancing effect can make you a better writer.

be frank

not a bloke, not named frank
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.lanifrank.com
The fact that their feet were clad in metal armor that held a wickedly sharp talon affixed to each appendage caused him apprehension.

You've rearranged the sentence, but you're still telling us he's apprehensive without showing it.

How is his apprehension manifesting? (frex: Are his palms clammy? Is his heart beating faster? Are his shoulders tight? Does his breath hitch?)

Last edited:

Silva

saucy
Registered
Reaction score
Website
twitter.com
I'm glad this came up because now I have a name for the thing I've recently noticed in my drafts. Usually I am able to fix any problems resulting from it with a few rounds of editing, but it's so nice to have picked up on a distinct, fixable pattern rather than just having a general, uneasy sense of something sucking and hoping that maybe this​ edit will fix it.

I feel so proud of myself for noticing. :ROFL:

blacbird

Registered
Reaction score
I see filtering often called a "distancing" effect in narrative. I've really never thought of it in that way. To me, as reader, it's a diluting and energy-reducing effect.

caw

Sage

Supreme Guessinator
Staff member
Registered
Reaction score
You've rearranged the sentence, but you're still telling us he's apprehensive without showing it.

How is his apprehension manifesting? (frex: Are his palms clammy? Is his heart beating faster? Are his shoulders tight? Does his breath hitch?)

Another option, MrV, is to have his direct mental reaction to the talons. As an example, "Holy hell, if one of them kicked him, the metal talons on their boots would rip into his skin like it was paper!" would show us what he thought about them AND that he's noticed them a lot better than "noticing with apprehension."

As Helix says, not all filtering needs to be killed with fire. There are times when you do need to note that a character is specifically noticing or seeing something. Sometimes you want to put in beats or rhythm provided by phrasing things in certain ways. A single instance of filtering in pages and pages isn't a huge problem, even if it could be stronger by avoiding the filtering. But usually if someone doesn't know what filtering is or what it looks like, they're probably doing too much of it.

Likewise, choosing to tell things rather than show them is fine from time to time, and even preferred occasionally. However, if you can't pinpoint what elements in your writing are telling or how to remedy that, you're likely overdoing it.

be frank

not a bloke, not named frank
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.lanifrank.com
Another option, MrV, is to have his direct mental reaction to the talons. As an example, "Holy hell, if one of them kicked him, the metal talons on their boots would rip into his skin like it was paper!" would show us what he thought about them AND that he's noticed them a lot better than "noticing with apprehension."

Yup. :)

As Helix says, not all filtering needs to be killed with fire. There are times when you do need to note that a character is specifically noticing or seeing something. Sometimes you want to put in beats or rhythm provided by phrasing things in certain ways. A single instance of filtering in pages and pages isn't a huge problem, even if it could be stronger by avoiding the filtering. But usually if someone doesn't know what filtering is or what it looks like, they're probably doing too much of it.

Likewise, choosing to tell things rather than show them is fine from time to time, and even preferred occasionally. However, if you can't pinpoint what elements in your writing are telling or how to remedy that, you're likely overdoing it.

Same goes for passive phrasing and adverbs IMO. They have their place, but it's important to understand why and when to deploy them.

Freya Yuki

Registered
Reaction score
Website
freyayuki.tumblr.com
I've been noticing this in my first drafts, so I'm trying to fix it as I edit the story am currently working on. Question: is it still filtering if I say something like a character turned to face another character (for example, they were looking at the view in front of them. And then they turn to each other to talk)? If I remove 'turn' and just go straight to them talking, would it still be clear that they moved or are now facing each other? Or maybe it doesn't really matter?

Bufty

Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
You pretty near answered yourself. :Hug2:

It's nothing to do with filtering. If you don't narrate an action how am I supposed to know it happened? ETA- Re Maryn's excellent post below, there are many actions that don't warrant mentioning.

But the main issue is, as you say, - is it worth mentioning or not? Content and context will guide me in whether or not I think they're looking at one another- it's normal to do so.

Maybe you would want to relate their actions if they were deliberately NOT looking at each other- avoiding doing so for some reason.

Up to you.:snoopy:

I've been noticing this in my first drafts, so I'm trying to fix it as I edit the story am currently working on. Question: is it still filtering if I say something like a character turned to face another character (for example, they were looking at the view in front of them. And then they turn to each other to talk)? If I remove 'turn' and just go straight to them talking, would it still be clear that they moved or are now facing each other? Or maybe it doesn't really matter?

Last edited:

Maryn

Baaa!
Staff member
Super Moderator
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
I wouldn't call that filtering, Freya, so much as unnecessary choreography. Consider:

Maryn dozed on the sofa but roused at the sound of the doorbell. She sat up and swung her legs to the ground, then stood and walked across the floor to the door, opening it with the brass knob. Her sister stood on the porch. "What do you want now?" Maryn said.

versus

Maryn dozed on the sofa but roused at the sound of the doorbell. Her sister stood on the porch. "What do you want now?" Maryn said.

You probably don't need to know exactly how I got up, reached the door, and opened it, right? The reader will assume your character does things the normal way, like facing the person to whom they're speaking, unless you say otherwise.

Maryn, who wishes her sister had dropped in

Roxxsmom

Beastly Fido
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Website
doggedlywriting.blogspot.com
As a writer, I use it very little and nobody has yet asked for more ("You know what you need here? Some FILTERING!). The hard part is knowing if and in what circumstances it will work for the readers. I don't have a simple formula for that, unfortunately.

I don't use many filters either, since I shoot for a rather "deep," directly from the here and now of the pov character form of third person or first. No one has ever come out and asked me to use more, but I have been asked for them obliquely. One reader (a successful writer with rather a lot of knowledge about technique) asked me if a perception or opinion was coming from the narrator or the character. So either I wasn't deep enough to make it clear I was writing in limited third (and every narrative observation or statement of fact was what the pov character thought or felt), or that person doesn't care for the technique.

This is the kind of thing that still gives me fits as a writer--how to know when someone is bothered by something I've written stylistically because it's their taste or because I'm not employing the style as well as I should be (or if it not the best style for the story at hand).

In short, writing books and most authors and editors who blog about craft advise us to cut filters (those words that come between the reader and narrative and remind the reader that the character feels, sees, hears, thinks etc) whenever possible, especially if we're writing in first or limited third (but the advice is often given in a very general sort of way, so it applies to omniscient too). Yet there are published writers who use filters quite a lot, often in places where they're not (in my opinion) needed for clarity and actually come between me and the character. I didn't used to notice their use, but since I've been studying craft more intensely, I definitely do (I can eventually get used to this style, though, if it's smooth and the story and characterization are intriguing enough). It seems like they've come back into fashion recently, as most of the recently published books I've read, especially in third, use them a lot more than I do.

I wouldn't call that filtering, but it might be unnecessary in places. A certain amount of postural and environmental detail is useful "in flow," since it can attribute dialog and provide clues about the setting or character personality/appearance without stopping everything to describe it in detail. But sometimes these little stage directions aren't needed, and can even become intrusive. As a rule, I'd assume one character turns towards someone she is speaking to.

Stage directions might be quite handy be if she's doing something else that answering interrupts, however, or if it provides context or characterization (Sue answered without looking up from her book, or Sue stared down at her folded hands for a moment, then slowly turned towards me, as if she hadn't noticed I was there).

Last edited:

MisterV

Banned
Reaction score

Yup. :)

Same goes for passive phrasing and adverbs IMO. They have their place, but it's important to understand why and when to deploy them.

Awesome advise folks, thanks!

Freya Yuki

Registered
Reaction score
Website
freyayuki.tumblr.com
You pretty near answered yourself. :Hug2:

It's nothing to do with filtering. If you don't narrate an action how am I supposed to know it happened? ETA- Re Maryn's excellent post below, there are many actions that don't warrant mentioning.

But the main issue is, as you say, - is it worth mentioning or not? Content and context will guide me in whether or not I think they're looking at one another- it's normal to do so.

Maybe you would want to relate their actions if they were deliberately NOT looking at each other- avoiding doing so for some reason.

Up to you.:snoopy:

Thanks. Re: bolded part- that was what I was worried about. I'll have to look through my draft again and make sure I'm not showing all the characters' actions.

I wouldn't call that filtering, Freya, so much as unnecessary choreography. Consider:

Maryn dozed on the sofa but roused at the sound of the doorbell. She sat up and swung her legs to the ground, then stood and walked across the floor to the door, opening it with the brass knob. Her sister stood on the porch. "What do you want now?" Maryn said.

versus

Maryn dozed on the sofa but roused at the sound of the doorbell. Her sister stood on the porch. "What do you want now?" Maryn said.

You probably don't need to know exactly how I got up, reached the door, and opened it, right? The reader will assume your character does things the normal way, like facing the person to whom they're speaking, unless you say otherwise.

Maryn, who wishes her sister had dropped in

Thanks for this example. In some parts of my draft, I ended up doing something like your first example. When I considered doing something like the second example, I worried that I didn't explain everything fully, like something was missing (like, for instance, in the 1st sentence of your example, she gets up at the sound of the doorbell. And then the 2nd sentence jumps straight to her sister standing on the porch).

I wouldn't call that filtering, but it might be unnecessary in places. A certain amount of postural and environmental detail is useful "in flow," since it can attribute dialog and provide clues about the setting or character personality/appearance without stopping everything to describe it in detail. But sometimes these little stage directions aren't needed, and can even become intrusive. As a rule, I'd assume one character turns towards someone she is speaking to.

Stage directions might be quite handy be if she's doing something else that answering interrupts, however, or if it provides context or characterization (Sue answered without looking up from her book, or Sue stared down at her folded hands for a moment, then slowly turned towards me, as if she hadn't noticed I was there).

Thanks. What if, for example, the character is busy doing something (like fighting with someone) and then, when there's a bit of a break in the fighting, he turns to look somewhere else (he's noticed that someone has arrived to watch the fight or something like that). I guess in this instance, it would be all right to say something like, "He turned to the side and saw..." or maybe something like, "He turned to the side. A woman had arrived..." or something?

Bufty

Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
A lot hinges on what POV you are using. What POV are you using?

He turned to the side and saw- maybe that's what happened, but it's dull and vague. 'Turned and saw' doesn't really give much of an image.

If something catches his attention - that's what you should focus on. If he's sitting on his chair or whatever, cut straight to the event or commotion that caught his attention. If you are in 'his' POV we know he is seeing or hearing the commotion or whatever because if he hasn't heard it or noticed it you can't mention it at all.

Thanks. What if, for example, the character is busy doing something (like fighting with someone) and then, when there's a bit of a break in the fighting, he turns to look somewhere else (he's noticed that someone has arrived to watch the fight or something like that). I guess in this instance, it would be all right to say something like, "He turned to the side and saw..." or maybe something like, "He turned to the side. A woman had arrived..." or something?

Tsu Dho Nimh

Registered
Reaction score
Well, I'm still working on the whole 'show vs. tell' thing as well. So per your suggestion, this is what I come up with. Honestly, I don't know that it actually sounds any better, just to remove a filter...

You are still telling me his feelings - apprehension - which is still filtering. And "caused him apprehension" ... very inactive passive voice.

"Holy hell, if one of them kicked him, the metal talons on their boots would rip into his skin like it was paper!" would show us what he thought about them AND that he's noticed them a lot better than "noticing with apprehension."

Yup ... that's very direct and my skin flinches in solidarity with that character's skin.